F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i MPPSK - In-car sound
GetBMWParts

03-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

340i MPPSK - In-car sound

Hi All,

>>I actually posted this in the UK forum, however thought I'd share to the wider community.<<

There's been quite a lot of interest in the x40i community regarding the MPPSK, with a lot of split views. As myself and others have mentioned, it's difficult to convey the exhaust sounds via Youtube videos; you really need to hear the exhaust in the flesh (metal...or carbon even...yum!). And of course there's the dividing factor - the infamous gunshots!

Anyway we've all seen the videos from the outside showing the cars revving. What I wanted to get was a video from inside the cabin to convey a realistic sense of what MPPSK is like. I hope this video achieves that.

So this video contains initial running in Comfort Mode and Auto gearbox mode. Then I switch to Manual gearbox mode, but leave it in Comfort. This allows me to show the ~4000rpm transition point when the valves open (yes, even in Comfort!). Then into Sport mode with general driving, some good acceleration, burbles/cracks on downchanges and also the infamous gunshots.

I hope this video conveys what MPPSK is like from a live-ability perspective. What I will say is that the noise level heard in the video is marginally less than in real life; that is to say that MPPSK is louder than that to the human ear, but not ridiculously so.

Anyway, enough of my drivel...enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5_uOPY4sA
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Well I'd say that was as good an attempt as I have seen but as you, myself and many others have said YouTube video's just don't do a very good job of showing this and probably all different exhaust setup's. One thing I would like to point out is the "gunshots" are not something that happens randomly while you are just tooling around, you almost need to be trying to make it happen, or at least driving in a manner where they are likely to occur. You will not be making people duck for cover in a funeral procession as I sadly got a chance to prove in January.

edit: The decedent was a car guy like us and would have approved.