THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Anyone else got a rattle in the dash when fan on?

03-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #1
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Angry Anyone else got a rattle in the dash when fan on?

Recently purchased an M235i second hand. On the way home I noticed an annoying rattle in the dash area that occurs between 1500 and 3000RPM consistently and relative to RPM, but ONLY when the Air Conditioning fan is running! Turn the fan off and the noise goes away entirely!

Curious to know if anyone else has had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction before I start pulling things apart.

It's definately inside the car (not the engine cover gutter plastic).

Thinking it may be a loose cabin filter.

Will report back if I find the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Paisano
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

If this makes sense; does it occur on the left or the right side of your dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Same problem on my car (2015 m235). The dealer removed the glovebox and replaced the plastic fan. The new fan was quiet for about a month and the noise is back only when the fan is set to middle or high setting. Went back to the dealer they said its working properly... Which I don't get because its a loud humming noise. I've owned BMW's for 25 years and the AC fan was never this loud.. My fix I'm keeing the setting on low to avoid getting pissed off...
      03-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisano View Post
If this makes sense; does it occur on the left or the right side of your dashboard?
Sounds like the left side but towards the centre of the dash. My car is right hand drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
Same problem on my car (2015 m235). The dealer removed the glovebox and replaced the plastic fan. The new fan was quiet for about a month and the noise is back only when the fan is set to middle or high setting. Went back to the dealer they said its working properly... Which I don't get because its a loud humming noise. I've owned BMW's for 25 years and the AC fan was never this loud.. My fix I'm keeing the setting on low to avoid getting pissed off...
Intereting. my vibration only happens at cerytain RPMs and isn't reletive to fan speed at all. Adjusting the speed of the fan makes absolutely no difference. only change is that the rattle doesnt happen if the fan is completely off.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
Intereting. my vibration only happens at cerytain RPMs and isn't reletive to fan speed at all. Adjusting the speed of the fan makes absolutely no difference. only change is that the rattle doesnt happen if the fan is completely off.
My wife's 2014 328 had this as well. It was the fan and motor in the passenger foot well area. They replaced the entire unit and she hasn't heard the vibration or noise since.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Paisano
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
My wife's 2014 328 had this as well. It was the fan and motor in the passenger foot well area. They replaced the entire unit and she hasn't heard the vibration or noise since.
This.

However, I only heard of these failures happening in colder climates.
Appreciate 0