BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Variable Damper Control VS Adaptive Drive

02-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Variable Damper Control VS Adaptive Drive

I'm in a big dilemma, not sure if I should go with AD or only VDC. I'm sure this will be interesting to many people, especially since G30 uses a new AD technology.

If I'm right, VDC is doing most of the great and the important stuff such as stiffens control and the dynamic suspension adjustment. AD just adds the Anti Roll to the story.

Now the question is, is the Anti Roll needed at all on the G30? I don't expect this car to roll much even without it, plus slightly rolling car might offer a better and more natural feeling in the curves.

So how I see it now, two disadvantages of the AD are:
1. It costs a lot.
2. I adds wight to the car.

While the advantage is less rolling but with a questionable influence to the return info to the driver.

I already ordered a car with the AD, but I still have time to modify the order and I'm thinking of removing AD from the config (and then maybe to add 4 wheel steering instead).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
I'm in a big dilemma, not sure if I should go with AD or only VDC. I'm sure this will be interesting to many people, especially since G30 uses a new AD technology.

If I'm right, VDC is doing most of the great and the important stuff such as stiffens control and the dynamic suspension adjustment. AD just adds the Anti Roll to the story.

Now the question is, is the Anti Roll needed at all on the G30? I don't expect this car to roll much even without it, plus slightly rolling car might offer a better and more natural feeling in the curves.

1. It costs a lot.

While the advantage is less rolling but with a questionable influence to the return info to the driver.

I already ordered a car with the AD, but I still have time to modify the order and I'm thinking of removing AD from the config (and then maybe to add 4 wheel steering instead).
I drove the 540i with M-Sports suspension the other day and it was worlds better in handling and ride suppleness compared to the 2013 F10 535i with M-Sport suspension. In my opinion to keep weight down and have a great balance between handling in ride I'd be ok with just the VDC. But if you already ordered with the adaptive ride I'd keep it just how it is. You won't regret it.
      02-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

1. It costs a lot.

I'd start with what do you want from the suspension? What are your key requirements?

I opted for AD on the F10/11, because I wanted the widest possible working envelope. Extra comfort (for me as driver and passengers) and better handling, with that comfort ability, all in the same package. Possible at the toggle of mode switch. VDC only gives one element to that requirement.

ARS adds more than just 'less roll' when pushing on through the curves, gives a more comfortable ride at the same time. ARS assists straight line comfort, as each wheel has better independent VDC capabilities, not influenced by cross car 'copy' stiff ARBs induce. ARS is tuned to give a better handling balance than you can get with fixed rate ARBs, is adjusted according to how hard you drive. From a neutral chassis balance in less demanding conditions, tuned 'on the fly' to slight understeer as you work the suspension.

I will be looking to test AD in the G30/31, see how it is improved (BMW claims) over the F10/11 system. I rate it in my F11 wagon. ARS being the key part in making the chassis suspension characteristics I want from a 5-series.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 520d, 530i

I'd definetely prefer 4-steering wheels instead of AD. It improves both safety (higher speeds) and comfort (maneuverability at low ones). It is much easier to drive with it (especially in Europe with its narrow streets). In my opinion roads in Switzerland are level enough to drive on comfortably with VDC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
bubuloiu
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90C

I own a F11 with Adaptive Drive, which costed 3700 euro here in Europe.

For G30/G31, I would definitevely go for VDC + IAS instead of AD, as it will be cheaper and more effective.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

The more I read, the more I get confused

What I don't get is if the AD (AR to be precise) would influence vehicle comfort on the straight road, over the bumps etc (especially with 20' wheels), or this part is done solely by the VDC.

Second thing, what offers a better performance in the curves, AR or IAS (VDC would be included in any case).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

What I don't get is if the AD (AR to be precise) would influence vehicle comfort on the straight road, over the bumps etc (especially with 20' wheels), or this part is done solely by the VDC.

Second thing, what offers a better performance in the curves, AR or IAS (VDC would be included in any case).
Both VDC and ARS help comfort on a straight road. ARS particularly helps on single wheel bumps, (ARBs virtually decoupled).

Depends on what you view as giving better performance, steering or body roll. Roll bars are different part numbers for the VDC and M-sport suspension. Weight difference suggests a smaller bar for VDC equipped cars, hence more roll is possible in the bends than the passive M-sport suspension. My conclusion, VDC optioned cars will roll more than many users would want. VDC will slow weight transfer into bends, but still allow roll as you load the chassis, compared to active roll bars.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Both VDC and ARS help comfort on a straight road. ARS particularly helps on single wheel bumps, (ARBs virtually decoupled).

Depends on what you view as giving better performance, steering or body roll. Roll bars are different part numbers for the VDC and M-sport suspension. Weight difference suggests a smaller bar for VDC equipped cars, hence more roll is possible in the bends than the passive M-sport suspension. My conclusion, VDC optioned cars will roll more than many users would want. VDC will slow weight transfer into bends, but still allow roll as you load the chassis, compared to active roll bars.
Good points. I deleted M Sport off my current F10, mainly so the ride would be less harsh.. It is comfortable, but you feel the big lumps... importantly though I feel fully confident chucking the car around corners at speed and it feels planted with very little/acceptable roll.

My G30 will have VDC... my logic being I'll should have the same control as today, but more comfortable.... it covers most of my driving pattern
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Good points. I deleted M Sport off my current F10, mainly so the ride would be less harsh.. It is comfortable, but you feel the big lumps... importantly though I feel fully confident chucking the car around corners at speed and it feels planted with very little/acceptable roll.

My G30 will have VDC... my logic being I'll should have the same control as today, but more comfortable.... it covers most of my driving pattern
I know when I was testing the F10/11 models, I found the standard suspension a reasonable compromise, but it lacked the poise and control I want in a chassis over poor road surfaces. M-sport ride would be too harsh on a lot of my local roads, hence why deciding AD was the best answer for me.

I'm sure your logic is right for the G30 and best compromise for your driving, VDC adding extra comfort when desired. UK motor mag tests are concluding (recommending) VDC is optioned for a better ride quality on UK roads. Makes a lot of sense, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Better performance in the curves is definetely provided by IAS. 4 wheels are to turn in the same direction. This eliminates some of the forces acting on the car and wheels (especially rear ones) which cannot be done by any roll stabilisation. The car with this system behaves completely other way than without it (especially when you drive fast into a bend). Another thing is that the steering ratio in case of IAS is variable and adapted to the conditions. This may give the impression of 'fly-by-wire' (aviation term which means, in brief, that the aircraft is not controlled directly by the pilot's hands but via computer).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Another thing is that the steering ratio in case of IAS is variable and adapted to the conditions. This may give the impression of 'fly-by-wire' (aviation term which means, in brief, that the aircraft is not controlled directly by the pilot's hands but via computer).

No, that has been changed on the G30 (And G11)

It no longer uses the fully variable planetary gearbox for the steering, but rather uses the variably cut steering shaft just like the "sport steering" on other BMW models.

So the ratio changes the further you turn the steering whee. This is fixed and does not adapt to conditions
      02-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No, that has been changed on the G30 (And G11)

It no longer uses the fully variable planetary gearbox for the steering, but rather uses the variably cut steering shaft just like the "sport steering" on other BMW models.

So the ratio changes the further you turn the steering whee. This is fixed and does not adapt to conditions
Well, that's interesting, thanks for clarification! However, I must admit that in G12 750Li in extreme situations I was under impression that the steering system 'lived its own life'
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well, that's interesting, thanks for clarification! However, I must admit that in G12 750Li in extreme situations I was under impression that the steering system 'lived its own life'
Probably the rear wheel steering that was activated by DSC
      04-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
delrosa81
Delrosa81
Singapore
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M Sport

I have the G30 540i with adaptive dampers, I don’t really feel much of a difference in comfort or sport mode though but then again, haven been pushing the car much as well. The car is still under 1000miles on the clock still, been going easy on it still. Nowadays, I try to keep the car in adaptive mode as much as possible. I do feel this car has way lesser body roll around corners as compared to my F10 LCI 528i with standard suspension, non M Sport. Both cars on stock suspension.
      04-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have gone Adaptive Drive,
and find it great it's flat in fast corners and smooths out poor road bumps, love it.
      04-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
I have the G30 540i with adaptive dampers, I don't really feel much of a difference in comfort or sport mode though but then again, haven been pushing the car much as well. The car is still under 1000miles on the clock still, been going easy on it still. Nowadays, I try to keep the car in adaptive mode as much as possible. I do feel this car has way lesser body roll around corners as compared to my F10 LCI 528i with standard suspension, non M Sport. Both cars on stock suspension.
Adaptive button is a driving mode and different from Adaptive Drive or VDC. It is essentially how the car will adapt to different road conditions and driving styles.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Better performance in the curves is definetely provided by IAS. 4 wheels are to turn in the same direction. This eliminates some of the forces acting on the car and wheels (especially rear ones) which cannot be done by any roll stabilisation. The car with this system behaves completely other way than without it (especially when you drive fast into a bend). Another thing is that the steering ratio in case of IAS is variable and adapted to the conditions. This may give the impression of 'fly-by-wire' (aviation term which means, in brief, that the aircraft is not controlled directly by the pilot's hands but via computer).
I reckon AD is more effective around corners than 4 wheel steering. The reduction of roll trumps additional steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #18
delrosa81
Delrosa81
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Adaptive button is a driving mode and different from Adaptive Drive or VDC. It is essentially how the car will adapt to different road conditions and driving styles.
Oic thanks for the clarification. I do have the adaptive dampers too. I don really feel much of a difference between Comfort and Sport Mode though. I do feel that this car is more composed especially around bends compared to my previous F10 LCI.
      04-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #19
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Oic thanks for the clarification. I do have the adaptive dampers too. I don really feel much of a difference between Comfort and Sport Mode though. I do feel that this car is more composed especially around bends compared to my previous F10 LCI.
I think you really need to push the car in both modes to see a big difference. Haven't done that myself although I've noticed the stiffness of suspension in sports mode when the roads are not great.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #20
delrosa81
Delrosa81
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think you really need to push the car in both modes to see a big difference. Haven't done that myself although I've noticed the stiffness of suspension in sports mode when the roads are not great.
yeah, I be going for an oil change this coming week as my mileage is reaching 1000 miles. after this oil change then I will start pushing the car hard.
      04-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
yeah, I be going for an oil change this coming week as my mileage is reaching 1000 miles. after this oil change then I will start pushing the car hard.
This car does not require an Oil change at such low miles, is this something you want?.
      04-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
delrosa81
Delrosa81
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
This car does not require an Oil change at such low miles, is this something you want?.
Yes, I’m aware but I’m rather old school, flushing out the metal particles of a new engine before pushing it hard.