BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Portefield R4-S Performance Street Pad F87 M2

01-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Portefield R4-S Performance Street Pad F87 M2

For high performance and heavy duty street conditions the Porterfield R4-S compound re- mains a top performer in the realm of street/performance brake pads. With the R4-S compound giving a friction level up to .41. This is an amazingly fast stopping brake pad. Simply put, they will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum amount of pedal effort. Perfect for prolonged everyday street driving while also being capable of enduring the most se- vere use without fade. It is also rotor friendly of course.

The team at Porterfield have gone to great measures to ensure that the R4-S compound has the absolute low- est noise and dust levels possible, far below O.E.M. equipment or any other high performance brake material. The R4-S compound which has an overall win in the Baja 1000 is available for most models of cars, trucks, and SUV’s. Superb stopping power under heavy use. Great for occasional autocrossing, solo events, off road events and rallies. Perhaps one of the overall best performing, clean and quiet everyday high performance driving brake pad ever made.

The R4-S compound is available for virtually any vehicle sold in the U.S. Also for rare vintage cars and special applications for street touring.

For more information please go to the link below:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=porterfield
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

I found the OEM pads to be pretty darn good on the street. What is the advantage of a street pad like this? Less brake dust? I would think if you are reaching the limits of the OEM pads on the street, you're probably due for a Darwin award (aka the Mustang at a Cars and Coffee)

Past: 991 GT3, 991S, F10 550i, 987 Cayman
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
I found the OEM pads to be pretty darn good on the street. What is the advantage of a street pad like this? Less brake dust? I would think if you are reaching the limits of the OEM pads on the street, you're probably due for a Darwin award (aka the Mustang at a Cars and Coffee)
Yup. Pretty much about dust. Which isn't to say dust doesn't suck, all else being equal.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
Yes, I agree OEM pads are pretty good, but still left room for improvement.

Porterfield R4-S like most aftermarket performance pads tend to have slightly higher friction level, can handle a bit more heat and dust less. Some can find the higher operating temperature helpful during spirited driving in the backroads.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Yup. Pretty much about dust. Which isn't to say dust doesn't suck, all else being equal.
Some of the so called dustless pads out there don't have sufficient friction and actually have less brake torque than OE.

Porterfield dust just a bit less than OE, but provides more linear brake torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Potentially in the market for some OEM swap pads - my main bug is the OEM dust so anything that is the same or better (performance wise) but that dusts waaaaay less, and no squeak, would be good.

I noticed a comment above "these dust just a bit less than OE"....??

Anyone had any experience with these pad? in same vain as Endless, Pagid etc..

Last edited by BishUK; 02-09-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
Potentially in the market for some OEM swap pads - my main bug is the OEM dust so anything that is the same or better and dusts waaaaay less, and no squeak, would be good.

I noticed a comment above "these dust just a bit less than OE"....??

Anyone had any experience with these pad? in same vain as Endless, Pagid etc..
These are at the lowest dust level possible without sacrifice in performance. Having used them in the past the dust level is less than stock, but not at the levels of some "dustless" pads. Something to be aware of about dustless pads is the friction level or brake torque can actually be less than OE and so is the MOT(maximum operating temperature).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info, but having spent an hour or so Googling these pads over various car brand forums this afternoon it would appear these are not the pads for me - so my search continues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but having spent an hour or so Googling these pads over various car brand forums this afternoon it would appear these are not the pads for me - so my search continues.
What characteristics are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:
What characteristics are you looking for?
Same as / or better than OEM on:
initial bite
performance in cold
No noise
And better than OEM in terms of dust reduction.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same as / or better than OEM on:
initial bite
performance in cold
No noise
And better than OEM in terms of dust reduction.
Link me to the reviews stating R4-S did not display those characteristics.
Appreciate 0