XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

01-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Yardie71
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 mineral gray

New to forum

New to forum and need to do a post, here are a couple pics of my 2015 Mineral Gray with spacers, black grill and a diffuser mod
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

I love the diffuser mod. Where did you get it / how did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Wow never really felt like I was missing out on the M sport till now. Very clean look

Is there tint on the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

diffuser!!! how did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #5
Yardie71
Registered
Rep

Thanks neverdone, DUI Elite and LevinBR,

No tint on windscreen, it's raining here and looks like I got shadows from above, sorry about the quality of the photos I plan to take better pics when sun comes back out.

We never liked the look of stock diffuser or the way the muffler looked from the rear so I started by using high temp black VHT rattle spray to conceal the piping etc. and that went pretty well so I purchased a used diffuser insert on ebay along with a couple ABS plastic parts (all attached) then with the orig. factory parts still safe on the car, I went into it more for the fun of it with little risk and only $130.00 invested. I did the layout in blue tape and cut the opening with my jigsaw leaving about a 1/16" all around for fit and fill. the civic grill is semi-recessed and for that I had to trim 1/2" from the crashbar (see pic) The bar steel is super hard so the 1/2"notch I don't think to be of a concern?? this part took 20mins with a grinder. JPweld epoxy and very little bondo was used to secure and smooth the overall pieces put together, then I applied Bulldog plastic adhesion, primer and black semi-gloss paint to match the blackout on the frontend. Past all that it then took me 3 hours to remove the bumper panel entirely to fit the lower section which snapped in nicely as it was a factory piece (maybe this could be done on car, but I pulled it all off not knowing how I was going to trim the crashbar) then put it all back together and finished it with a coat of wax. total was probably 4 hours to build the plastic and another 4 to install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardie71 View Post
Thanks neverdone, DUI Elite and LevinBR,

No tint on windscreen, it's raining here and looks like I got shadows from above, sorry about the quality of the photos I plan to take better pics when sun comes back out.

We never liked the look of stock diffuser or the way the muffler looked from the rear so I started by using high temp black VHT rattle spray to conceal the piping etc. and that went pretty well so I purchased a used diffuser insert on ebay along with a couple ABS plastic parts (all attached) then with the orig. factory parts still safe on the car, I went into it more for the fun of it with little risk and only $130.00 invested. I did the layout in blue tape and cut the opening with my jigsaw leaving about a 1/16" all around for fit and fill. the civic grill is semi-recessed and for that I had to trim 1/2" from the crashbar (see pic) The bar steel is super hard so the 1/2"notch I don't think to be of a concern?? this part took 20mins with a grinder. JPweld epoxy and very little bondo was used to secure and smooth the overall pieces put together, then I applied Bulldog plastic adhesion, primer and black semi-gloss paint to match the blackout on the frontend. Past all that it then took me 3 hours to remove the bumper panel entirely to fit the lower section which snapped in nicely as it was a factory piece (maybe this could be done on car, but I pulled it all off not knowing how I was going to trim the crashbar) then put it all back together and finished it with a coat of wax. total was probably 4 hours to build the plastic and another 4 to install.
That is awesome. good work man. so much motivation!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I'm wanting to do the same thing. Could you of done it without the civic part?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Yardie71
Registered
Rep

Hahahaha yes I agree if you can do it without Honda parts that would be even better.. Car seems a bit contaminated!! I can say that I had a Honda in college
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Welcome to the forums! Can't wait to see your build.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
firewolf
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Everything looks great.
Appreciate 0