BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dealer allocation and ordering confusion

01-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Dealer allocation and ordering confusion

I've been calling dealers around the central US and came across one that stated the following, which seemed odd and maybe specific to this dealer. He said he had one person on the M2 waiting list but then started looking into his allocations and said he had 4 available right now. He wanted to confirm the details and do some research before taking a deposit for ordering. This sounded like a good plan since based on his voice, something didn't seem right to him. About an hour later he called back and said the 2017 builds would end this week and he had to wait until he recieved allocations for the 2018's. As in, he couldn't allow me to use one of his open allocations. Anything from this Monday (1/16) on would be a 2018 M2.

My guess is this is something specific to them, maybe they didn't use their allocations in time? What's your thoughts on this story? What should I have asked to get clarity?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

I've had better luck talking to GMs or M certified CAs. Hey generally know their dealerships situation much better than a random CA off the lot. Maybe call back to try to get a better explanation. If I had to guess his allocations for the next 6 months are taken. Which means new orders would be pushed into Q3 - MY2018 cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Of course that isn't true either. Dealers only have allocations for q1. No one knows how many allocations they or any other dealer has or will get for q2. They may get monthly allocations starting in April, maybe someone in management knows, but it hasn't been disclosed publicly. Up until this point, all allocations have come in 3 month blocks. I had one of the first at my dealership and the build is scheduled for March. 2018 doesn't start until July has per other disclosures, so suggesting they are starting in Feb sounds like nonsense as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

After calling many dealers its very interesting and frustrating at the same time. One stated this was the last year for the M2, just after stating they were charging MSRP +$2500! The highest I heard was MSRP +$7500, but pricing is a different subject matter.

I do have one that's looking promising and will know tomorrow whether the allocation is actually mine or not. Thanks for the responses and reality check!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
After calling many dealers its very interesting and frustrating at the same time. One stated this was the last year for the M2, just after stating they were charging MSRP +$2500! The highest I heard was MSRP +$7500, but pricing is a different subject matter.

I do have one that's looking promising and will know tomorrow whether the allocation is actually mine or not. Thanks for the responses and reality check!
I'm in a similar situation where where I am #1 on the order bank and the dealership received 4 allocations for Q1. One of them were dealer trades meaning they traded away an M2 allocation for another model to meet their demands. However there were 2 other allocations that were assigned but not to me. There is also one remaining allocation that I don't know what will happen to it. I'm waiting to hear more information from my SA after he speaks with the inventory manager to see what is going on exactly. It's frustrating to not receive an allocation when I'm confirmed #1 in the order bank at 047 status at the beginning of the year.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
Quote:

I'm in a similar situation where where I am #1 on the order bank and the dealership received 4 allocations for Q1. One of them were dealer trades meaning they traded away an M2 allocation for another model to meet their demands. However there were 2 other allocations that were assigned but not to me. There is also one remaining allocation that I don't know what will happen to. I'm waiting to hear more information from my SA after he speaks with the inventory manager to see what is going on exactly. It's frustrating to not receive an allocation when I'm confirmed #1 in the order bank at 047 status at the beginning of the year.
That sucks. But that's the situation. The cynic in me wants to say people jumped the line by paying more. But hopefully the dealer will have a good explanation. 4 seems like a lot of allocations though...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6734202 View Post
That sucks. But that's the situation. The cynic in me wants to say people jumped the line by paying more. But hopefully the dealer will have a good explanation. 4 seems like a lot of allocations though...
My dealership isn't known for charging over MSRP. I've met a person who bought one at MSRP from them. It concerns me that I left voicemails with the inventory manager and GM and haven't heard back from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
My dealership isn't known for charging over MSRP. I've met a person who bought one at MSRP from them. It concerns me that I left voicemails with the inventory manager and GM and haven't heard back from them.
Drive there and don't leave until you get it resolved. I had to do the same and had the same experience. Over the phone, basically nothing was done. I went to the dealer and got my allocation that day.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in a similar situation where where I am #1 on the order bank and the dealership received 4 allocations for Q1. One of them were dealer trades meaning they traded away an M2 allocation for another model to meet their demands. However there were 2 other allocations that were assigned but not to me. There is also one remaining allocation that I don't know what will happen to it. I'm waiting to hear more information from my SA after he speaks with the inventory manager to see what is going on exactly. It's frustrating to not receive an allocation when I'm confirmed #1 in the order bank at 047 status at the beginning of the year.
If you are 047 BMW should be the one that changes your status when the give the dealer their next allocation. Though not sure how the system specifies queue order.

That's how it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou
Quote:
Quote:

If you are 047 BMW should be the one that changes your status when the give the dealer their next allocation. Though not sure how the system specifies queue order.

That's how it worked for me.
I believe someone still has to do it manually as it doesn't automatically pull your name into an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion
Quote:
Drive there and don't leave until you get it resolved. I had to do the same and had the same experience. Over the phone, basically nothing was done. I went to the dealer and got my allocation that day.
Yea I did that the other day except I didn't get chance to speak with them due to availability. Also another thing is I started working with another SA since my original guy was grumpy and hostile and not cooperative in providing me any helpful pieces of information. They are now splitting the deal which I heard is common for them. Either way I'm glad I'm working with the new guy and still waiting for him to give me more info after he follows up with the inventory manager. I feel like going again later today to find the GM and tell him how bad of an experience it is for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

So after calling around a few places due to my unfortunate situation at my local dealership I was able to find out there is a very short list at NM Albuquerque. If anyone is interested for a Q2 allocation (being #2 on their list) you can call them. He also requires a 1k refundable deposit. Good Luck!

Rick Herman
505-980-4316
Appreciate 0