F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 Development B58
GetBMWParts

01-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 B58 340i x drive

JB4 Development B58

Is anyone with the B58 pretty disappointed with the development of the jb4 so far? I feel like burgermotorsports is seriously slacking on the maps, features, and add ons like the n54/55 tunes had (shift light, gauge sweep, etc.) I'm not knocking the tune what so ever I think it is a great tune I just think for the money spent and considering the engine has been out over a year now, more would be expected. The typical response from terry on the forums basically saying nothing more then "development continues" is getting very old.

Just my two cents
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

I'm with mike on this. I feel as if burgertuning is falling behind the bandwagon on this car. It's quite upsetting because other platforms seemed to have more love when they were brand new. Not only that I feel as if the jb4 itself hardware wise is also behind in technology. The way I see it is I've spent 600 bucks on a piggyback and I'm sick of the "development continues." The way I see it is the b58 is gonna their money maker considering majority of the "M" guys are getting actually flash tunes. And, to be honest if the b58 could be flashed right now, I would jump ship.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The B58 JB4 already offers 5x more stuff than any other B58 tuner out there I think. Recent B58 development has been focused around the stealth water/meth tank kit, EWG support, and large turbo support.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

When looking for just a tune Active Autowerkes seems better. With the added features of the JB4 is where it gets the others.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA90 View Post
I'm with mike on this. I feel as if burgertuning is falling behind the bandwagon on this car. It's quite upsetting because other platforms seemed to have more love when they were brand new. Not only that I feel as if the jb4 itself hardware wise is also behind in technology. The way I see it is I've spent 600 bucks on a piggyback and I'm sick of the "development continues." The way I see it is the b58 is gonna their money maker considering majority of the "M" guys are getting actually flash tunes. And, to be honest if the b58 could be flashed right now, I would jump ship.
Agreed I would jump to a flash if I could.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The B58 JB4 already offers 5x more stuff than any other B58 tuner out there I think. Recent B58 development has been focused around the stealth water/meth tank kit, EWG support, and large turbo support.

Mike
Mike-

The stealth meth/tank is cross platform on the f series. The EWG is old news and there is no large turbo since it's just a compressor upgrade. We're talking about jb4 itself with map development and features. Active 8 is not any better either it's 2017 and they still have CEL with customers who hap dp's. And, they can't even datalog. I'm just being honest between the two jb4 is better but nothing to write home about.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rocket :-)

Garage List
Quote:
Mike-

The stealth meth/tank is cross platform on the f series. The EWG is old news and there is no large turbo since it's just a compressor upgrade. We're talking about jb4 itself with map development and features. Active 8 is not any better either it's 2017 and they still have CEL with customers who hap dp's. And, they can't even datalog. I'm just being honest between the two jb4 is better but nothing to write home about.
I have the AA tune and enjoy it very much!!! Wish I could data log but oh well. And the dp cel fix is super easy. I'm definitely considering getting a jb4 since the Bluetooth addition. It would be super nice to log some shit. Having said that, if a flash tune came out I'd get that over any piggyback in a heart beat (sometimes I think the dme is fighting the AA tune) but overall is great. Downpipe/tune is almost a must for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I prefer tested updates over rushed ones ... Keep in mind the N55 F chassis was faster due to the fact that the E chassis shared the same engine for years before the F chassis was released

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #9
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

The DME is fighting the piggyback because the values don't make sense to it. The only reason I chose JB4 is because it looked like they were ahead of the game and since I'm running meth and a downpipe, I needed something to log and erase dp codes... etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to rush things, but give people more info other than "development continues."
Appreciate 2
miked07132.50
      01-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quoted from Carguy19 on the 2016+ BMW 340i/ix B58 Billet Intake - Gains up to 8 whp Thread, post#128. Seems like it might be relevant.

So my company that I work for (a moderate sized auto group) we own a very high volume BMW store, so I had the privilege to work with our service manager to have my car in the day the BMW regional tech area manager was there to discuss and show him my intake concerns.

I will get to the intake in a second, but I have to share his comments on BMS and the indirect compliments to terry and his team....

The first great thing that he said is that they see tons of cars with different tunes trying to get warranty work, and that he feels that the BMS tune is the safest and best approach to squeezing a few extra HP out of our cars, he said that the tune is even safer then a dinan tune and much smoother and easier on the motor. He also said that they really don't like to turn down warranty work unless the problem was blatantly caused by the JB4 or tuning device, usually which only happens if the user trys to manipulate the tune other then what Terry sets up, , he hasn't seen any problems AT ALL in our region with a straight stock motor JB4 canned tune. I am not disclosing our dealer or the rep from BMW for obvious reasons but in chatting he admitted that on his personally owned 535xi he has a JB4 !! Of course his company car does not have a tune.
      01-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Quoted from Carguy19 on the 2016+ BMW 340i/ix B58 Billet Intake - Gains up to 8 whp Thread, post#128. Seems like it might be relevant.

So my company that I work for (a moderate sized auto group) we own a very high volume BMW store, so I had the privilege to work with our service manager to have my car in the day the BMW regional tech area manager was there to discuss and show him my intake concerns.

I will get to the intake in a second, but I have to share his comments on BMS and the indirect compliments to terry and his team....

The first great thing that he said is that they see tons of cars with different tunes trying to get warranty work, and that he feels that the BMS tune is the safest and best approach to squeezing a few extra HP out of our cars, he said that the tune is even safer then a dinan tune and much smoother and easier on the motor. He also said that they really don't like to turn down warranty work unless the problem was blatantly caused by the JB4 or tuning device, usually which only happens if the user trys to manipulate the tune other then what Terry sets up, , he hasn't seen any problems AT ALL in our region with a straight stock motor JB4 canned tune. I am not disclosing our dealer or the rep from BMW for obvious reasons but in chatting he admitted that on his personally owned 535xi he has a JB4 !! Of course his company car does not have a tune.
Not the "ever since I installed an intake I have a noise issue"

Anyway......looking like I'll be buying the jb4 at the end of the month. It will be interesting comparing both tunes. Hoping for little more with the jb4s new map and logging capability
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki187 View Post

Anyway......looking like I'll be buying the jb4 at the end of the month. It will be interesting comparing both tunes. Hoping for little more with the jb4s new map and logging capability
I see your in chicago, if you want we can meet up and you can see my car. Are you the same guy that got dynoed and performance solutions? My opinion is don't bother switching unless you are gonna do meth.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post

A lot of dealers do in fact try to refuse any warranty work once they see a jb4 on the car , they also try to flag your car. I don't know why he's saying it's better then Dinan. Dinan is far more superior in their performance parts and let's not forget they also come with a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

That comment makes no sense to me either. Dinan has an agreement with BMW, and the dealers flash Dinan tunes into their cars, in their shops. I have never seen a JB4, AA, or anything else promoted at a BMW dealership.

I'm using the AA, and I'm loving it. Only issue is I can't keep traction at WOT shifts with winter tires. Come on summer! Where are you?
Appreciate 1
miked07132.50
      01-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
That comment makes no sense to me either. Dinan has an agreement with BMW, and the dealers flash Dinan tunes into their cars, in their shops. I have never seen a JB4, AA, or anything else promoted at a BMW dealership.
Dinan does not have agreement with BMW .. It has an agreement with some dealerships

If your car breaks down, BMW will not repair it for free

makes sense now?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:

Read my updated thread before you make comments.

I spent a good 5-6 hours with my company's BMW service manager, and the BMW technical service area manager to investigate and get to the bottom of the intake noise, and have updated the thread accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked07 View Post
A lot of dealers do in fact try to refuse any warranty work once they see a jb4 on the car , they also try to flag your car. I don't know why he's saying it's better then Dinan. Dinan is far more superior in their performance parts and let's not forget they also come with a warranty.
You need to go to a dealer that is mod friendly and be honest and upfront about things. Dealers are not looking to flag your car unless there is a problem with it. They want to be able to get paid warranty work if you have a problem. Flagging the car would be the last thing they want to do.

(I work at a dealer group, so trust me, there aren't little guys in labcoats walking around the service department with clipboards writing down your VIN number when your car is in for maintenance)

If something goes wrong from the tune thats major and needs a case open with BMW, that the dealer cannot fix for you, that would be the only time they would flag the car, at least thats how our dealer treats it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #18
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see your in chicago, if you want we can meet up and you can see my car. Are you the same guy that got dynoed and performance solutions? My opinion is don't bother switching unless you are gonna do meth.
Sure that would be great, would be nice to compare to a jb4 car. And yes we did some pulls at performance solutions that Sunday. Great time!!!

Don't get me wrong I like the AA tune just some small piggyback drawbacks I'm not used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sure that would be great, would be nice to compare to a jb4 car. And yes we did some pulls at performance solutions that Sunday. Great time!!!

Don't get me wrong I like the AA tune just some small piggyback drawbacks I'm not used to.
LOL shoot me a pm with your number and name. I had my car dynoed at Komet Motorsports on their heartbreaker mustang with Alex from ACF Performance.
      01-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Read my updated thread before you make comments.

I spent a good 5-6 hours with my company's BMW service manager, and the BMW technical service area manager to investigate and get to the bottom of the intake noise, and have updated the thread accordingly.
Relax dude I was just messing with you, but I was right. No issue just a different setup thats all. And the intake made that more pronounced.....if you only knew how many people came in with Forum knowledge convinced there was something wrong with their car.......moving on.......
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Quote:
You need to go to a dealer that is mod friendly and be honest and upfront about things. Dealers are not looking to flag your car unless there is a problem with it. They want to be able to get paid warranty work if you have a problem. Flagging the car would be the last thing they want to do.

(I work at a dealer group, so trust me, there aren't little guys in labcoats walking around the service department with clipboards writing down your VIN number when your car is in for maintenance)

If something goes wrong from the tune thats major and needs a case open with BMW, that the dealer cannot fix for you, that would be the only time they would flag the car, at least thats how our dealer treats it.
Yea you're right. I go to one mod friendly. Just saying dealerships aren't encouraging people to go buy jb4s
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #22
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
JB4 is better than Dinan.

Take the stage 4 for example with the "upgraded" turbo.

I pulled vs my buddy who has the 435i and I put about a car length vs him, and I don't even have my IC yet.

Don't even mention warranty with Dinan. It's bullshit (it really is)

Ask one of our lovely members ( I believe it was cryptocar) about his experience with Dinan.

In all seriousness. When are you going to run into a problem with JB4?

With the price of Dinan stage 4 vs JB4/Flash FBO, it's a no brainer, Dinan is overpriced, and they're overcharging for everything, their upgrade fuel pump is basically fuel-it but they charge twice the price and don't even offer warranty on it. You might have piece of mind, but if something does break (chargepipe) the dealer who supplied you Dinan can blame it on something else and deny you warranty just like that.