E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Will paint correction and buffing darken and bring out glimmer in the paint?

01-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Will paint correction and buffing darken and bring out glimmer in the paint?

Hey everyone,

I just got a m3 front bar, m3 side skirts and m sport rear bar with m performance diffuser with the plastic diffuser painted in gloss black. I have a sapphire black e92 335i and got it painted and fitted at a BMW approved repairer and body shop. The paint on the body kit turned out very nice and glimmery but it seems to a small bit of a shade darker than the rest of the body. The owner of the shop said to me to wait a few weeks until the paint cures and lightens up a tiny amount and then to perform paint correction and buffing on the rest of the car since my car is ridden with swirl marks and has lost much of its glimmery sparkle and has some degree of fading from constant parking under the hot Australian sun. A few of my mates are saying that the shop is talking bullshit in saying that the paint will cure to a tiny amount lighter shade and that polishing and buffing wont darken the paint to match the bodykit. They are telling me to demand the shop to repaint it to colour match my car. I'm curious as to whether paint correction, polishing and buffing would darken the car's paint from anyone's personal experiences as well. Can show pictures of my car if anyone is also interested.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here are a few examples of correction work on Black Sapphire Metallic vehicles...

... so yes, if your vehicle is in relatively poor shape, paint correction will enhance the depth, color, and clarity of the finish.

It depends how far off the newly painted piece is, but if it is easily noticeable under normal lighting, it may need to be repainted to completely match the rest of the vehicle.

-Zach
Appreciate 0