BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New to BMWs - Infotainment Startup Screen Question

12-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

New to BMWs - Infotainment Startup Screen Question

Hi Everyone, my M2 is my first BMW. So far, I'm loving it! Questions for all you BMW veterans:

1) When I first fire up the car, I get a BS legal screen that pops up on the infotainment screen. I have to click the i-drive to "OK" the message and confirm that I'm not going to drive off into a ditch while reading my e-mails or something. OK, is there any way to not have that screen show up each and every time I start the car?

2) After I "OK" past the legal start-up screen, I'm taken to a second screen that asks me to select which driver I am based on my key. Driver 1 is set to me and my key, driver 2 is set to my wife and her key. Any way to bypass this screen? I mean, if it's just me in the car with just my key in my pocket, cant it figure out that it's me and adjust to my settings?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Hi Everyone, my M2 is my first BMW. So far, I'm loving it! Questions for all you BMW veterans:

1) When I first fire up the car, I get a BS legal screen that pops up on the infotainment screen. I have to click the i-drive to "OK" the message and confirm that I'm not going to drive off into a ditch while reading my e-mails or something. OK, is there any way to not have that screen show up each and every time I start the car?

2) After I "OK" past the legal start-up screen, I'm taken to a second screen that asks me to select which driver I am based on my key. Driver 1 is set to me and my key, driver 2 is set to my wife and her key. Any way to bypass this screen? I mean, if it's just me in the car with just my key in my pocket, cant it figure out that it's me and adjust to my settings?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - I agree it is annoying. I believe the only way to get rid of it is to get someone to code it off for you. There is no option to disable it in the normal user interface.

2 - At the bottom of the profile screen where you select the profiles, there should be a check box to not show it at startup.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post
1 - I agree it is annoying. I believe the only way to get rid of it is to get someone to code it off for you. There is no option to disable it in the normal user interface.

2 - At the bottom of the profile screen where you select the profiles, there should be a check box to not show it at startup.
Hey, thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. I'll get #2 taken care of next time i go for a drive. As for #1, I think you are right. I noticed there's a thread in this section called "I got coded" and one of the things the guy had programmed out was that start-up screen. So it looks like it's possible with the right service tools. Betting my dealer can do it but wont for liability reasons. Will need to find someone in the aftermarket who can do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. I'll get #2 taken care of next time i go for a drive. As for #1, I think you are right. I noticed there's a thread in this section called "I got coded" and one of the things the guy had programmed out was that start-up screen. So it looks like it's possible with the right service tools. Betting my dealer can do it but wont for liability reasons. Will need to find someone in the aftermarket who can do it.
I have the cable. I've coded on VAG cars before, so if it's anything like that, I can help you out. Will experiment this week
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Dealer does not have software to code anything but factory options. For additional coding (eg, removing disclaimers), E-sys is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
I have the cable. I've coded on VAG cars before, so if it's anything like that, I can help you out. Will experiment this week
It is much easier.
Appreciate 1
nd2002178.50
      12-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Most excellent, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #7
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Most excellent, thank you!
Hey! I finally played around with coding my car, and was able to do it fairly easily. It's a bit more effort up front than VAG cars, but the coding process is much easier to understand. Let me know if you need to borrow my cable or need help to code some stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

The legal disclaimer goes away by itself after a few seconds in my car. I don't have to click anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
The legal disclaimer goes away by itself after a few seconds in my car. I don't have to click anything.
On newer idrives, the disclaimers are less intrusive. But, you can still remove them completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep

I probably will remove it completely along with the all the annoying chimes one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
I probably will remove it completely along with the all the annoying chimes one of these days.
If you are local to LA, I can do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Once I assemble my list, I'll be sure to hit you up. I'm in Pasadena.
Appreciate 0