BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Stage 3 review and set up question

12-06-2016, 04:15 AM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Bavsound Stage 3 review and set up question

Just had the stage 3 Bavsound upgrade in the M2 (speakers, subs and Bimmertech amp). The outgoing system was the hifi.

The resulting system has good potential. The music is cleaner and has greater depth, warmth, clarity and punch.

But as soon as I started to play the music for which the system was intended--bassy dance music--I heard an intrusive low frequency vibration that I struggled to remove by controlling the bass settings on the Sound controller. So much so that some music would sound anaemic and the distortion was still present. It seems be coming from the doors and the floor pan. It's the kind of vibration that would make a pedestrian walking past go "WTF?"

The map installed is apparently the standard 2 series version provided by Bavsound. And having seen it briefly, it did seem to be set up for music different to mine with a bass bias. I didn't take great notice, because I hadn't played around with the stereo at that point.

I should add that for vocals and other music that is biased towards mid and high-range frequencies, the system is superb. But I sit there nervously waiting for a bass drop and the resulting harmonic cacophony that follows.

And for completeness I should add that while we installed the Bavsound front dash speakers, I asked for them to not be connected--to see if there was an improvement in the soundstage. I tend to think this was a mistake. It just sounds hollow there now. An ideal set up would allow me to turn the volume down to in-fill, instead of the dominating signal that seems to be emitted as stock.

Has anyone else had any problems of this sort? Is there an obvious map I should use for bass-oriented music? Or should I just play around with the map myself?

I'm not unrealistic about what I can achieve in a car, or indeed what I can get from subs this size. I can live with a modest contribution from these speakers, but they are clearly not intended to resonate the interior the way they are now.

Bypassing the ASD as part of this process has been a success. You can still listen to the fruity exhaust sound we know and love by opening the windows, but when they are closed, the isolation as a platform for listening to music is much improved.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by mdt; 12-06-2016 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

This is the review I was waiting for considering it sounds like we listen to the same music. Hopefully you can figure out the sound issues you are having and improve on the system, but at least for my knowledge I now know to take a different route than bavsound.

To help with your issue I read guys on the m3/m4 forum having the same issue with the under seat subs and weird vibrations. The guys there were taking the subs out and installing dynamat underneath and it was helping greatly with the weird vibrations/sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
This is the review I was waiting for considering it sounds like we listen to the same music. Hopefully you can figure out the sound issues you are having and improve on the system, but at least for my knowledge I now know to take a different route than bavsound.

To help with your issue I read guys on the m3/m4 forum having the same issue with the under seat subs and weird vibrations. The guys there were taking the subs out and installing dynamat underneath and it was helping greatly with the weird vibrations/sound.
I did actually suggest some dynamat before the install but was told it was probably not necessary. But I do like the idea of dampening out that resonance at the source. Will give it a go.
      12-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Thats worked for multiple f80 guys to fix their issues after speaker upgrades
Appreciate 0