BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > New to the process of ordering a new car

11-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

New to the process of ordering a new car

Hello everyone. I've never bought a completely new car before, and certainly have never spec'd one out and ordered it. I'm considering doing it for a 2017 M2. I've read through the stickies, but they seem to gloss over some of the details.

Is there a deposit required to 'reserve' an allocation? Or is it just an informal waiting list? If so, how much is the deposit, and is it refundable? For example, if I put my name on multiple dealers waiting lists, do I need a deposit for each?

Calling around to dealers in SoCal, I'm hearing everything from 'almost a year' to '6-10 weeks' on delivery times. Why such a big discrepancy?

Does anyone know which dealers (preferably in SoCal) have the most allocations for the M2, or where several people have had luck getting one? I did see the Edmunds list in the sticky, but I'm just looking for feedback on people that have actually ordered one and have a delivery date.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Go dealer to dealer and start hunting and hope for the best, unless you still wanna pay 2-10k over for a car on the ground. I know BMW Encinitas has several on the ground and trying to hold 5k over but you should be able to knock that down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
At least at my dealer there was no charge to be on the general waiting list. Once you received an allocation there was a $1,000 deposit that became non-refundable once the car actually entered production because at that point changes cannot be made to the configuration.

You'll hear stories all over the place though from dealer to dealer with regards to when the deposit was due and how much. From what I gather California dealers seem to be the worst when it comes to money.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
At least at my dealer there was no charge to be on the general waiting list. Once you received an allocation there was a $1,000 deposit that became non-refundable once the car actually entered production because at that point changes cannot be made to the configuration.

You'll hear stories all over the place though from dealer to dealer with regards to when the deposit was due and how much. From what I gather California dealers seem to be the worst when it comes to money.
Spoke with a dealer in SoCal yesterday about this. What I was told lines up with what you've just told me. It seems guesstimated delivery date would be March-ish if I were to take one of their allocations and make the $1k deposit today.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post

Spoke with a dealer in SoCal yesterday about this. What I was told lines up with what you've just told me. It seems guesstimated delivery date would be March-ish if I were to take one of their allocations and make the $1k deposit today.
Just make sure the deposit is refundable to you at any time before you take delivery at your sole discretion. Options are so limited it's not like you could even order something crazy that they couldn't sell.
Appreciate 0