E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 - Interior trunk release button not working - Not in valet mode

11-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Question E92 - Interior trunk release button not working - Not in valet mode

I have 2007 328 Coupe with comfort access.

What works:
- Opening the trunk using comfort access
- Opening the trunk manually using the metal key
- Opening the trunk using the FOB trunk button

What doesn't work:
- Opening the trunk using the trunk release button near the driver's foot well

I have triple checked that the valet switch in the glovebox is not in valet mode.

1. Is it fair to say that the car is not in valet mode because comfort access and the FOB button can be used to open the trunk?

2. Should my next actions be to either (a) replace the trunk release button that isn't working or (b) replace the valet switch in the glovebox?

3. Any suggestions on additional things to check? Any previous threads to read? The only threads I could find were people mistakenly turning on valet mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

if you have inpa software or rheingold with diagnostic cable - you can check button
      11-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post

What works:

What doesn't work:

I have triple checked that the valet switch in the glovebox is not in valet mode.

1. Is it fair to say that the car is not in valet mode because comfort access and the FOB button can be used to open the trunk?

2. Should my next actions be to either (a) replace the trunk release button that isn't working or (b) replace the valet switch in the glovebox?

3. Any suggestions on additional things to check? Any previous threads to read? The only threads I could find were people mistakenly turning on valet mode.
Not sure if this will be of much help, but I locked/unlocked the valet option like 2-3 times and it fixed this issue for me, and never had the problem again.. Maybe try that, and also try holding it down for 1-2 seconds instead of a quick press..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
rrandyy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
if you have inpa software or rheingold with diagnostic cable - you can check button
Thanks! I don't have one, but I'll see if the local auto store will help me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
rrandyy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Not sure if this will be of much help, but I locked/unlocked the valet option like 2-3 times and it fixed this issue for me, and never had the problem again.. Maybe try that, and also try holding it down for 1-2 seconds instead of a quick press..
I'll try this out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
rrandyy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
This didn't help, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post

What works:

What doesn't work:

Drop by a dealer and pick up P/N 61 31 9 200 316. It's the button for the interior trunk switch. Install it and see if it opens the trunk. If it does not then rerun it. Also the old switch could have came apart and not activating the actuator like it could be.
      04-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
rrandyy
Captain
Rep

Solved! For anyone interested, I solved this problem by replacing the interior trunk switch with a new one that I purchased online. It was simple and easy to do.
Appreciate 0