BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > The Dreaded Finance Guy Gauntlet

11-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

The Dreaded Finance Guy Gauntlet

OK, so I've been poking around here and have found a few threads with various dealer add-ons like extended warranties, Lo-Jack, etc. that the finance guy is going to try to hit me with in 2 weeks when my car arrives at the dealer. I want to be ready as possible. Can you guys who have recently purchased M2s help me compile a comprehensive list of all the add-ons (with asking price and the price you negotiated it down to) that I can expect to be pummeled with? I want to pre-evaluate what, if any of it, I might want. I'll keep the list here updated:

BMW Ultimate Care+ = $600
BMW Ultimate Care+ and BMW Ultimate Care+1 Bundle = $2,049
5 year tire and wheel protection - $3500 (added 11/29 via user Xesh)

Last edited by DETRoadster; 11-29-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
M2MT
Rep
Drives: M2

Interested too. I need to read the fine print again, but was leaning towards opting out. This is my first BMW, and don't expect heavy track use. I plan on keeping it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I am always against buying an extended warranty for a car that already has a warranty, it doesn't make sense to me to put myself further in the depreciation hole for something I don't need for 4 years when I may or may not even have the car. Dealers make on average 2k per car on these add on products, about 60% of customers pass on all add ons so that gives you a sense of the amazing amount of costs that get added to the 40% that opt in. The M2 has a tracking system that comes with the car for free for the first 4 years so Lojack is not something anyone needs. I am pretty much anti all add ons.

When I met with my finance guy I made it simple, I said I don't buy add on products and that if I decide to consider an extended warranty as my car approaches the end of the factory warranty I will give him a call. They hate hearing that because they are expected to sell these products and are compensated based on that but more often than not they respect the straightforward but polite way I approach them. I have walked from a deal when the finance and insurance guy would not let it go so this doesn't always work, of course I got a call on the way home from that dealer and we worked things out.
Appreciate 1
M2MT3.00
      11-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

The only add-on that I purchased through the dealer was window tints.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
OK, so I've been poking around here and have found a few threads with various dealer add-ons like extended warranties, Lo-Jack, etc. that the finance guy is going to try to hit me with in 2 weeks when my car arrives at the dealer. I want to be ready as possible. Can you guys who have recently purchased M2s help me compile a comprehensive list of all the add-ons (with asking price and the price you negotiated it down to) that I can expect to be pummeled with?
"No thanks" works just fine.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Sometimes I listen and find a deal. On my wife's infinity the tire and wheel insurance was $580 including curb rash repair and no deductible so I bought that. Can only be used at the dealer but thats fine by me. BMW pricing is nuts but the wheels and tires on a BMW are double the cost of the Infinity wheels.
      11-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I got the tire warranty on my M3 and it paid for itself at least 3 times. My neighbor was doing home reconstruction and I kept on picking up nails. M3 tires are not cheap.

I'd highly recommend not owning a modern BMW outside of its warranty period.

There are the usual paint protection, window etching, wheel protection plans. I think they are all useless.

Be prepared, bring a snack, get comfortable. They try to wear you down. Don't get talked into anything you don't want, and bring a calculator to check all the numbers. I have had finance guys mysteriously add $500 to the cost of the car, only to backpedal after I called them on it. Go over everything line by line and ask for an explanation if it's not clear.

I had another guy tell me that window etching was mandatory, and that it was done on all their cars when they hit the dealership. I'd already checked and it hadn't been done. When I told him that, he told me that in that case, it was getting done as we speak. I figured I was screwed, but after we signed, I checked the car again and it still hadn't been done, I went back and made him refund it.

I am sure some dealers and finance people are straight up and honest. However, so far I have found the majority of them to be less than that.

Last edited by rouxeny; 11-26-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #8
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep

All you should pay is the price of the car and any options, then destination fee and licensing fee if there is one. Sometimes the dealers tack on an advertising fee, that's pure profit for them.

Also, if they promise you anything, get it in writing. My dealer still owes me the M3 specific floor mats they said I could have, once they came back into stock.

Last edited by rouxeny; 11-26-2016 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I thought about this too today as i was signing paperwork. I did not add anything else. Glad i got the fleet discount to help out with the total price of car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I'd highly recommend not owning a modern BMW outside of its warranty period
Yes, this is exactly what I'm concerned about. Coming from 20+ years of owning nissans and hondas, I'm used to just laughing at the idea of extended warranties. I only drive about 5k per year so I'll hit the 4 yrs on the warranty long before I hit the 50k miles. Current car has 31k on it. I've owned it since 2009. I want to plan on keeping the M2 for 5 years. So I'd consider an extended warranty that takes my coverage out to 5 years. Is that an option they will pitch? If so is it through BMW or some janky 3rd party?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what I'm concerned about. Coming from 20+ years of owning nissans and hondas, I'm used to just laughing at the idea of extended warranties. I only drive about 5k per year so I'll hit the 4 yrs on the warranty long before I hit the 50k miles. Current car has 31k on it. I've owned it since 2009. I want to plan on keeping the M2 for 5 years. So I'd consider an extended warranty that takes my coverage out to 5 years. Is that an option they will pitch? If so is it through BMW or some janky 3rd party?
If you buy BMW Ultimate Care+1 (I think MSRP is $2,049 on M2), then you get an additional year of warranty AND they cover the wear & tear items again. The dealer would certainly be able to sell this and it's BMW's official extended warranty now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
If you buy BMW Ultimate Care+1 (I think MSRP is $2,049 on M2), then you get an additional year of warranty AND they cover the wear & tear items again. The dealer would certainly be able to sell this and it's BMW's official extended warranty now.
Yeah, i did see that. But with as few miles as I drive the maintenance packages are like paying for the all you can eat buffet for my wife. "I'll just have a small side salad please." it just doesn't pencil out. I'll likely have the oil changed 6 to 8 times in the 5 years I own the car. Will have the brakes and radiator flushed once. I'll never go through brake pads or a clutch. I'll go through a single set of tires. Wipers and cabin air filters I can do on my own. I can also inspect and grease bushings.

What i really want to protect against is the $10k repair bill in year 4 after warranty expires. if they can sell me just the warranty without the maintenance BS, i'd be super interested.

Has anyone here successfully negotiated and purchased just a year of extended factory warranty, without the maintenance stuff also lumped in?
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
Yeah, i did see that. But with as few miles as I drive the maintenance packages are like paying for the all you can eat buffet for my wife. "I'll just have a small side salad please." it just doesn't pencil out. I'll likely have the oil changed 6 to 8 times in the 5 years I own the car. Will have the brakes and radiator flushed once. I'll never go through brake pads or a clutch. I'll go through a single set of tires. Wipers and cabin air filters I can do on my own. I can also inspect and grease bushings.

What i really want to protect against is the $10k repair bill in year 4 after warranty expires. if they can sell me just the warranty without the maintenance BS, i'd be super interested.

Has anyone here successfully negotiated and purchased just a year of extended factory warranty, without the maintenance stuff also lumped in?
Why not just certify your car in a few years for about 2k to get extra two years of warranty? Seems cheaper than an extended warranty they sell at delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Why not just certify your car in a few years for about 2k to get extra two years of warranty? Seems cheaper than an extended warranty they sell at delivery.
Say what? Is that an option? How do I learn more about the process for doing that?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
DETRoadster
Rep

OK, been doing a bit of reading. Seems straight forward enough. This may well be an excellent option for me. Thanks for bringing it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No problem. I saw someone else on this forum mentioned it in another thread. When I toyed with an idea of keeping my lease in the past, the dealer told me they'd certify the car for 2k for two more years of warranty. Keep in mind, hat maintenance would obviously not be included at that point and the scope of coverage may be different. You can research that by looking at CPO details on BMW web site.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep

Fascinating, I had not heard of this before. I looked at the website, there isn't that much info, but I will do some more research.

Sounds like a great option.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #18
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Fascinating, I had not heard of this before. I looked at the website, there isn't that much info, but I will do some more research.

Because you can't. It's only for used cars at the dealer. Some dealers will do it on your off lease car. In order for a car to be certified the title must go to the dealer.
      11-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #19
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Quote:

Because you can't. It's only for used cars at the dealer. Some dealers will do it on your off lease car. In order for a car to be certified the title must go to the dealer.
That does make sense I suppose as the time I considered it in the past was at the lease end. So this seems to only be an option for those that lease an M2, which is few and far between.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #20
zedbyers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
I had another guy tell me that window etching was mandatory, and that it was done on all their cars when they hit the dealership. I'd already checked and it hadn't been done. When I told him that, he told me that in that case, it was getting done as we speak. I figured I was screwed, but after we signed, I checked the car again and it still hadn't been done, I went back and made him refund it.
Classic one, that i also experienced. Had to go as far as contact that AG's office to get my money back on that one.
1989 M491 Targa
1935 Ford Model 50 Pickup
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #21
xesh
Rep
Drives: M2 (LBB)

Quote:
OK, so I've been poking around here and have found a few threads with various dealer add-ons like extended warranties, Lo-Jack, etc. that the finance guy is going to try to hit me with in 2 weeks when my car arrives at the dealer. I want to be ready as possible. Can you guys who have recently purchased M2s help me compile a comprehensive list of all the add-ons (with asking price and the price you negotiated it down to) that I can expect to be pummeled with? I want to pre-evaluate what, if any of it, I might want. I'll keep the list here updated:

BMW Ultimate Care+ = $600
BMW Ultimate Care+ and BMW Ultimate Care+1 Bundle = $2,049
5 year tire and wheel protection - $3500 (added 11/29 via user Xesh)
My experience with the finance guy is pretty fresh.

You will be asked to choose from options like Dent Protection, Appearance Protection, Windshield Protection, Key Replacement Plan other than what you have already listed. Most of this isn't required. They might also say that the delivery date is the only day when you can add some of these options. I am pretty sure that they will add them at a later date too if you change your mind.
Appreciate 0