F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Urban 440i GC - 1200 mile review
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

The Urban 440i GC - 1200 mile review

Plenty of you lucky x40i owners get to put decent miles on your cars. Here's the story so far of a 440i shackled to a largely urban existence. I've had the car 10 weeks tomorrow, and finally hit 1200 miles just a few yards from home last night. 400 of them were covered between delivery day and a Heathrow trip, so it's been a very slow accumulation of miles, especially as we use my wife's car for a lot of commutes.

But, finally, the car is run-in

I have nothing new in the way of pics (which irritates me), so just included 3 that I have taken in the past.

First, the subject that makes others say "why buy a 40i and talk about economy". Yep, MPG. At the last fill, fuelly says 28.3mpg average over 1043 miles - a best of 30.1 and a worst of 26.7. The lowest tankfuls recorded by my E90 320d in the same usage were around 34/35mpg. I'm more than happy so far with the economy.

My commute is around 6 miles long and involves 18 sets of traffic lights and 3 congested roundabouts on the way to work. On the way home, I sometimes use a couple of miles of M5/M4, although a good portion of the latter is to queue to leave it.

So, it's fair to say that this is not the ideal usage for a six-cylinder petrol car. The great thing is, though, the car just soaks it up and ambles around using the ample torque. The buttery smoothness of the engine makes every journey a pleasure. The 440i excels at making these journeys quiet, stress-free and utterly soothing - using comfort mode for the adaptive suspension/steering/drive-train.

I've said it before, the engine defines the car and elevates it to a different level. It's the first BMW I've had with a top of the range engine. In the past I have wondered "why pay significantly more for a 3 than you could pay for a 5". Now I get it

I've only dabbled with 'stick-left' but I know enough to see that it transforms the car when combined with sport mode. Throttle response (of which more later) and noise are sharpened and intensified and the car comes alive. A week or two back I used the paddles and stayed in S2/S3 - fantastic fun and a great crackle each time backing off the throttle (this is not a cue to mention MPSS Grant_7 )

So, I wouldn't be without adaptive suspension or the 40i engine - they are the two killer options that give it the 'two cars in one' appeal. And both of them work brilliantly in an urban environment. The suspension shrugs off lumps and bumps fantastically well and the car rides so much better than anything on 19" wheels has a right to. It's adaptive abilities (even within a particular mode) are key, meaning that sports mode is still comfortable around town - because it's expecting bumps. At higher speeds/on longer journeys it is very noticeable how much the suspension firms up, even in comfort mode.

Other options that I love? HUD is brilliant, as long as you have Speed Limit Display as well. Being able to (re)check speed limits on roads you are unfamiliar with is great. It's also good on the 'smart' M4, which regularly changes from 60 to 40 between gantries, and often as you approach them. Display of nav instructions in the HUD is excellent too.

The HK stereo is superb, but I haven't travelled one-up enough to really give it a work out yet.

Everything else that I specced is essential to me - extended storage for the hook, lumbar support for the longer journey comfort (although haven't done a properly long journey yet), folding mirrors, reversing camera. MSport+ pack, HK aside, I am very glad I have this for the look of the wheels and brakes.

My only spec regrets are things that I didn't choose. It was essential to draw a line somewhere after buying a new house earlier this year and I did add enough toys to get what I really needed. But, after a few weeks of driving I do realise that the surround cameras would have been useful, the F36 is nowhere near as easy to place when parking as my E90 was. Had the budget been limitless, I would also have added comfort access, but I knew exactly what I was missing out on there so not bothered - except that we now have a baby on the way and I think that's when I will really miss it!

Downsides of the car - throttle response in comfort is annoying, partly my own fault for still not having done the adaptation reset procedure! However, I am now driving in eco-pro more - that has meant my foot has adapted instead and, using the same throttle positions, comfort mode now feels significantly livelier
I also still find pulling to a smooth stop is not as easy as it should be, the brakes make it very easy to come to a jerking halt over the last mph or two to zero. Irritating. If stop-start would work in neutral, it might be possible to work around that more easily.

TL;DR - I am a happy bunny. B58 gets 10/10, so does adaptive suspension. Perfect urban car!
Attached Images

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE

Last edited by MashinBenzin; 11-16-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 7
mcoops1757.00
Grant_72020.50
Rukka2647.00
djcowlin284.50
Rich9600740.50
      11-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

Interesting good read
      11-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
S1NGH
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Good and honest review..
      11-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Really good write up, thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Great write up!
      11-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Thanks for the write-up. Agree with everything you say

A few points of my own:

1. Well you may have won the race to collect your car, but only just now hitting 1200 miles....WTF man! You need to get out for some late evening / early morning blasts. Especially with little one no1 on the way...you'll have no time for car enjoyment then!

2. On the point above, my commute has pretty much finished now so I'm doing far fewer miles than before. Should hit 3000 miles this weekend though with a trip down to the South Coast. I wonder how crazybones is doing as i think he was piling on the miles?!

3. Definitely do the throttle adaptions reset. I did mine again yesterday and it undoubtedly works. Only takes 4 minutes to do.

4. I think part of the smooth stopping is the gearbox. As it downchanges into first, there's an increase in deceleration which has to be countered on the brakes. And, as you're second guessing the car, it's extremely difficult to do!

5. Finally, and I really can't help myself in mentioning it, but the crackles you get in Sport. Honestly it's full blown gunfire with MPPSK. I swear young children start crying and oldies dive for cover when it happens. Hilarious!

6. One more thing. When little MashinBenzin comes along, he/she is going to travel home from the hospital in your lovely x40i. Now that is cool!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post

A few points of my own:

1. Well you may have won the race to collect your car, but only just now hitting 1200 miles....WTF man! You need to get out for some late evening / early morning blasts. Especially with little one no1 on the way...you'll have no time for car enjoyment then!
2. On the point above, my commute has pretty much finished now so I'm doing far fewer miles than before. Should hit 3000 miles this weekend though with a trip down to the South Coast. I wonder how crazybones is doing as i think he was piling on the miles?!

3. Definitely do the throttle adaptions reset. I did mine again yesterday and it undoubtedly works. Only takes 4 minutes to do.

4. I think part of the smooth stopping is the gearbox. As it downchanges into first, there's an increase in deceleration which has to be countered on the brakes. And, as you're second guessing the car, it's extremely difficult to do!

5. Finally, and I really can't help myself in mentioning it, but the crackles you get in Sport. Honestly it's full blown gunfire with MPPSK. I swear young children start crying and oldies dive for cover when it happens. Hilarious!

6. One more thing. When little MashinBenzin comes along, he/she is going to travel home from the hospital in your lovely x40i. Now that is cool!
Cheers mate

I absolutely agree on the first point, I'm actually embarrassed to have used the car so little! Quite a few unexpected issues have meant less free time than anticipated. I can't even just add a few fun miles to my commute - as we share the commute and she'd be less than impressed with getting up earlier or home later so I could have some fun. Damn shame, I would love it I have managed to throw in a couple of extra waitrose runs, which is a nice 20 mile round trip, neatly avoiding the 4 or 5 supermarkets within 2 miles of home. And the Sunday newspaper run is no longer a walk

Your mileage has gone up nicely, definitely would be good to hear how crazybones is doing with the other 'delivery race' car.

Will definitely do the reset, just never think of it at the right time! On the gearbox/brakes, yes that's how I see it too. I'd stick it in neutral rolling up to lights, but then not having stop-start would probably bring me below 20mpg given all of the stationary time I have!

MPPSK sounds like too much fun - I have a short hill locally, surrounded by stone walls, perfect for climbing in second gear on/off throttle when no-one is behind. MPPSK would make it sound like a warzone I think

Great point re little MashinBenzin - a cool first trip for all of us ! Although nothing can match Rich9600 and his new car and baby on the same day story.

Appreciate 2
Grant_72020.50
Riffs144.50
      11-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Good write up and pleased to read you are still enjoying it

It's interesting that (from what I have read) the x40i owners seem to concur around certain aspects of the car. Particularly the noticeable difference between modes on adaptive suspension (is this a 4er thing? - haven't read about it much on the 3er) and the way the car comes to life in Sport mode.

No surprises re economy - I'm the same with "around 30" being my average for the daily trudge. Not bad for the performance at all.

I think it was @225 that said the exhaust seems to get louder as the miles go on. I'll agree with this - it most certainly does.

Someone else said (can't remember who) that the HK gets better with age too - that's also true.

All in all, great cars that keep getting better

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 2
Grant_72020.50
      11-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Particularly the noticeable difference between modes on adaptive suspension (is this a 4er thing? - haven't read about it much on the 3er)
Yes very noticeable on my F31
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
Rukka2647.00
      11-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Great write and lovely looking car.

As mentioned, just get out head off some place
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

The 3 and 4 series will be the same as far as adaptive and modes although the coupe is a further 10mm lower than the F3x not sure about the 4 GT

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post

Is this something new with the x40i models? Dropping to first? I'd hate that if my 535i was not smooth on coming to a soft stop. My gearbox simply drops down without any negative feelings, silky smooth. I didn't think 1st was used unless aggressively driving. Brakes also modulate using the 'soft-stop' function.

Sounds as if the latest hardware/software is a backwards step, if the reviews reflect a common issue.

BTW, I've never played with the throttle adaption setting, nothing has changed in over 30,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

'soft-stop' function

Don't think the 3/4 series have this,

I don't think it has much to do with the gearbox / down shifting, as i find it really hard to stop my 330d auto smoothly it is almost like the brakes grab very close to the stopping point of the car - giving a jerky / sudden stop, i get around this by lifting off the brake slowly as i close into stopping the car.

This could either be due to the auto's natural creep or the M Sport+ brakes, i did not have the issue with my old E92

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS. Previous - 440i GC

Very interesting read, thanks for posting!
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Is this something new with the x40i models? Dropping to first? I'd hate that if my 535i was not smooth on coming to a soft stop. My gearbox simply drops down without any negative feelings, silky smooth. I didn't think 1st was used unless aggressively driving. Brakes also modulate using the 'soft-stop' function.

Sounds as if the latest hardware/software is a backwards step, if the reviews reflect a common issue.

BTW, I've never played with the throttle adaption setting, nothing has changed in over 30,000 miles.
Definitely no soft-stop feeling on the 4. I'm hoping it will get better with miles. Xplosiv166 describes it well as a last second grabby feeling from the brakes. I'm now monitoring the rev counter to see if I can spot the downchange. When I feel the jerky stop, it's almost always when I am stopping very gently (typical urban and anticipatory driving really).

I wonder if the throttle adaptation may be different with your usage, hence you don't really suffer from it? I get the impression that you are onto the open road pretty quickly and regularly? Mine (and maybe others) spends 10-20 minutes not stretching its legs at all and gets repeatedly fed very gentle throttle inputs.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Great write up, you'll certainly love your first drive home with your wee one. Terrifying as it may be... However, then you'll be more interested in the smoothness of comfort mode rather than the power, noise and sharpness of sports mode...

Great review mate, I completely agree that the 40i is well paired with Adaptive Dampers. Real Jekyll and Hyde territory. Refined cruiser and plenty of fun when you can and want to play...

Enjoy her mate.
      11-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Definitely no soft-stop feeling on the 4. I'm hoping it will get better with miles. Xplosiv166 describes it well as a last second grabby feeling from the brakes. I'm now monitoring the rev counter to see if I can spot the downchange. When I feel the jerky stop, it's almost always when I am stopping very gently (typical urban and anticipatory driving really).

I wonder if the throttle adaptation may be different with your usage, hence you don't really suffer from it? I get the impression that you are onto the open road pretty quickly and regularly? Mine (and maybe others) spends 10-20 minutes not stretching its legs at all and gets repeatedly fed very gentle throttle inputs.
There certainly is no soft stop on an f31 340 with msport brakes! Gearbox reset really does improve the starting smoothly though.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #18
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Great write up!

I'm just through 900 miles, and collected the car 5 weeks ago tomorrow.

I agree with all points in the review - saves me a job writing one up.

I do plan to post something following the recent detail, and will compare the BMW against the previous C Class Benz.

Safe to say though I'm loving the 440i. Can't rememer who said it before, but every trip really is an event.

Get some miles on though fella! You'll never drive as steady as the day you take your child home for the first time.

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #19
Redandy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i GS/CR

Thanks for the review MB enjoyed reading that.

Expecting to hit the 1200 mark myself within the next fortnight - just shy of 800 now and whilst out today on a couple of country lanes must admit there was a few noises from the exhaust that I hadn't heard previously.

Same as everyone else absolutely loving this car already and that's before the real fun starts - moving from the 420i to this is just the best move ever.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Redandy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i GS/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by black stig View Post
Great write up!

I'm just through 900 miles, and collected the car 5 weeks ago tomorrow.

I agree with all points in the review - saves me a job writing one up.

I do plan to post something following the recent detail, and will compare the BMW against the previous C Class Benz.

Safe to say though I'm loving the 440i. Can't rememer who said it before, but every trip really is an event.

Get some miles on though fella! You'll never drive as steady as the day you take your child home for the first time.
Haha too true - remember going over the speed bumps coming out of the hospital at what must have been about 2 mph.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #21
recardo
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Downsides of the car - throttle response in comfort is annoying, partly my own fault for still not having done the adaptation reset procedure!
Whats the "adaptation reset procedure" and whats it do?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by recardo View Post
Whats the "adaptation reset procedure" and whats it do?
Apparently this http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=591

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1