BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW Performance Center Pickup PCD Question

11-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
coaxial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: On Order 2017 LBB M2

BMW Performance Center Pickup PCD Question

Hi all - I just wanted to gauge what people have done in the past. Or any recommendations. I'm doing the PCD to pick up my new M2! I saw on other posts that folks have XPEL installed at the local shop. I was considering doing the same. My issue is if there is any warranty work I would rather not go through the XPEL warranty process. If I use my guy in CA, if there are any problems I give him a call and he takes care of it. What has everyone done to protect their car for the long drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Lots of tape. Once it gets wet though in the rain it starts to fly off.
Attached Images

Last edited by David1; 11-15-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
zenmaster1576.50
      11-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
coaxial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Lots of tape
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does it hold up well? Was worried about how thin blue tape is.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does it hold up well? Was worried about how thin blue tape is.
I had up to 4 layers in spots. I have done this tape thing so many times its nuts. I did have something big hit low in the bumper that left an impression in the paint that I was able to wet sand out. It had an impact area of about half an inch and went through all the tape. But, if the tape was not there to take the impact it would have done more damage. There is a trick to doing it so the tape stay on in the wind. But like I said, once your in the rain it will start to come off in a matter of minutes. I had a 5 minute rain shower on the highway and 30% came right off the car, I even had to stop to get a piece off it off the wiper blade.
      11-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
I had up to 4 layers in spots. I have done this tape thing so many times its nuts. I did have something big hit low in the bumper that left an impression in the paint that I was able to wet sand out. It had an impact area of about half an inch and went through all the tape. But, if the tape was not there to take the impact it would have done more damage. There is a trick to doing it so the tape stay on in the wind. But like I said, once your in the rain it will start to come off in a matter of minutes. I had a 5 minute rain shower on the highway and 30% came right off the car, I even had to stop to get a piece off it off the wiper blade.
Try putting on a layer of clear shipping tape on top of the painters tape for a waterproof layer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
Hi all - I just wanted to gauge what people have done in the past. Or any recommendations. I'm doing the PCD to pick up my new M2! I saw on other posts that folks have XPEL installed at the local shop. I was considering doing the same. My issue is if there is any warranty work I would rather not go through the XPEL warranty process. If I use my guy in CA, if there are any problems I give him a call and he takes care of it. What has everyone done to protect their car for the long drive?
I don't have prior experience but I am going to be doing PCD on 12/16 and plan on having xpel installed at Extreme Colors before I drive home. I have no clue how to tape my car and don't want to risk damage on the way home. Maybe not the most helpful response, but thought I'd weigh in. Congrats on the new car!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Mine held up fine until the rain. I put extra strips long ways down the hood to keep the tape from coming up. But no issues. Didn't have to stop to reapply tape or anything like that. It's much easier with 2 people. Can't really damage anything while applying it, but you can definitely get the local XPEL installer to do XPEL. Extreme Colors. Just be prepared to spend a day or two in Spartanburg/Greenville.

I spent most of my time driving well behind other cars, 500 feet or more. It helps that it's an event on a weekday so once you get through the metro area, there's little traffic. I did overlapping layers so there was probably only 2 layers. I figured that would get 90% of stuff. If anything bigger hit, I'm sure there would be a lot more issues anyway. But just don't follow too close and you'll be fine.

and yes, the winglets were a royal pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

it took two of us a couple hours using the widest roll we could find and a narrow roll for tight spots. Make sure you tell your clear bra installer the tape was there because it does leave a residue and small adhesive balls.
      11-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
coaxial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
it took two of us a couple hours using the widest roll we could find and a narrow roll for tight spots. Make sure you tell your clear bra installer the tape was there because it does leave a residue and small adhesive balls.
Thanks for the tips everyone it's much appreciated. I will send photos once I complete. Love the packing tape above the blue tape idea. Also the cross tape as well. Also letting the installer know it was taped. Great info in this.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

If your going from the Performance center to Cali, the buzzing the tape makes when part of it lifts will drive you insane.
      11-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

XPEL Tracwrap. You can buy it by the roll. A bit pricier (obviously) but holds up better and is thicker than blue painters tape. I used it when I picked up my car in OK and drove it 300 miles back to TX.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #12
silverlude
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

You guys are really having me worried now after seeing/reading this thread. Im doing PCD on Dec 15 and staying in the area a few days, including Dragons Tail. Then driving back to Florida. Should I really be worried about damage in the NC/SC/TN area? Do they use lots of sand on roads that time of year? Or were you guys driving back up north?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlude View Post
You guys are really having me worried now after seeing/reading this thread. Im doing PCD on Dec 15 and staying in the area a few days, including Dragons Tail. Then driving back to Florida. Should I really be worried about damage in the NC/SC/TN area? Do they use lots of sand on roads that time of year? Or were you guys driving back up north?
Where in Florida are you headed. After my PCD on 12/16 I'll be in town for a couple of days to get xpel and then driving back to tampa.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybmmr View Post
Quote:
Where in Florida are you headed. After my PCD on 12/16 I'll be in town for a couple of days to get xpel and then driving back to tampa.
Naples. I'm hoping the roads will be nice. I don't need XPel down here, not really interested in wasting the money but now this thread has me worried about the roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Naples. I'm hoping the roads will be nice. I don't need XPel down here, not really interested in wasting the money but now this thread has me worried about the roads.
I don't think you should worry. I don't think ppf is a must down here either. This is the first car that I'm hoping to have for many years though and even though I've not done ppf before, it seems like a good investment in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think you should worry. I don't think ppf is a must down here either. This is the first car that I'm hoping to have for many years though and even though I've not done ppf before, it seems like a good investment in this situation.
Yeah it's definitely safer. I had it on all my cars when I lived in Canada. It works wonders for that kind of climate. Let me know your plans in the area. Although we'll be in Asheville on the night of the 15th, we'll be around in the vicinity until the Sunday. If we can meet up for a quick photo shoot in the smoky mountains, why not!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it's definitely safer. I had it on all my cars when I lived in Canada. It works wonders for that kind of climate. Let me know your plans in the area. Although we'll be in Asheville on the night of the 15th, we'll be around in the vicinity until the Sunday. If we can meet up for a quick photo shoot in the smoky mountains, why not!
Yeah for sure. What color are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #18
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Mine held up fine until the rain. I put extra strips long ways down the hood to keep the tape from coming up. But no issues. Didn't have to stop to reapply tape or anything like that. It's much easier with 2 people. Can't really damage anything while applying it, but you can definitely get the local XPEL installer to do XPEL. Extreme Colors. Just be prepared to spend a day or two in Spartanburg/Greenville.

I spent most of my time driving well behind other cars, 500 feet or more. It helps that it's an event on a weekday so once you get through the metro area, there's little traffic. I did overlapping layers so there was probably only 2 layers. I figured that would get 90% of stuff. If anything bigger hit, I'm sure there would be a lot more issues anyway. But just don't follow too close and you'll be fine.

Dude
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #19
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post

Dude
Hahaha. That's some effort right there. Definitely can appreciate the work you put in.

Im getting LBB, almost like the blue tape.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
chalbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sentra -> 2017 MG 6MT M2

Quote:
I'm doing PCD on 11/11/17 down to Jacksonville , FL. I've been reading up on EXPEL.. but I'm still not sure which route to go.

Two questions:

1. Do you think it's worth investing in EXPEL for living in FL?
2. Driving from Greenville for the PCD, should I worry at all about protecting the car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

For temporary protection, I wound up using this "Road Wrap" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UQKPIQ . Needed it quick so did Prime for the 18", but I'd use 6". Transparent so does not look like ass, lasts up to a week, easy to remove!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
D CHOI581.00
      11-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Hahaha. That's some effort right there. Definitely can appreciate the work you put in.

Im getting LBB, almost like the blue tape.
My car is gray. I swear!
Appreciate 2