E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > What are all the coding tools? What's worth getting?

11-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

What are all the coding tools? What's worth getting?

I just picked up an e90 after selling my Audi. The primary coding system for Audi's is VCDS which does generally everything you would want, including coding, reading errors and communicating with modules/sensors and reading their data. It's really the only system on the market for Audi's.

It seems that on the e90 there's about a million different systems for communicating with the car. What's the difference between the major/most useful, and which should I get? I'd like to be able to read errors, read data from sensors(if possible on this platform), code, etc.

If it matters the car is also experiencing a misfire but hasn't thrown a check engine light, so I'd like to get something to help diagnose that soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Misfire is most likely plugs or coils if they haven't been changed recently. Carly for BMW is pretty good for diagnostics/coding/battery registration.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Get a K+DCAN cable from a reputable source (cable shack, onestop) and download the V3 Coding VM from here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220039

Carly is quite limited in what it can do. It also costs a lot, the app isn't cheap then you have to buy their hardware. Also the app will screw you for more money for any extra coding changes you may need. It also has a habit of bricking the FRM module. Personally I would stay away from Carly.

A battery charger is also recommended for more time intensive coding tasks like module updating.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 05:04 AM   #4
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Get a K+DCAN cable from a reputable source (cable shack, onestop) and download the V3 Coding VM from here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220039

Carly is quite limited in what it can do. It also costs a lot, the app isn't cheap then you have to buy their hardware. Also the app will screw you for more money for any extra coding changes you may need. It also has a habit of bricking the FRM module. Personally I would stay away from Carly.

A battery charger is also recommended for more time intensive coding tasks like module updating.
Thanks. So it sounds like a K+DCAN cable will allow me to use most utilities? I'm still not sure what all the different utilities are and why I would want to be able to use any specific one. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of info, I was hoping someone could give me an overview on the utilities.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
K/D-can cable for coding ecu's easily

iCom for updating ecu's easily