E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Full detail on white 2011 335i - opinions

10-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Full detail on white 2011 335i - opinions

60k miles, always parked indoors, always hand washed by myself or by dealer. Never detailed.

1. Wash
2. clay bar
3. polish using Chemical Guys V36 with orange cutting pad
3a. polish using Chemical Guys VSS with ? cutting pad
4. seal using Chemical Guys Jet Seal with black? cutting pad

I know everyone has their opinions about which products to use, so if anyone has any suggestions about what I chose, please let me know.

Questions:
1. Can I use the polish/seal on the black strip on the lower part of the rear bumper or should I avoid polishing this area altogether - I have the M Sport front and rear bumper

2. Should I avoid using the polish around the underside of the front bumper lip where there might be some paint scratches?

3. Do I need step 3a at all? or should I replace the V36 step with the VSS step?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

There is no one-size fits all paint correction process... after you properly clean and decontaminate your paint, you must begin a series of test spots to determine what process will produce the results you are looking for.

In some cases, you may only need a light to medium polish with a polishing pad to produce the results you are seeking, while other cases may call for a heavy cutting compound & cutting pad followed by a finer polish & polishing pad. Only you can determine that with your test spots.

You may find these articles helpful....
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern
Two Step Paint Correction Overview and Video Demo: 1937 Ford Coupe Hot Rod by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

I have a similar car and I recently did the same thing to it, you can check out my post here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277605
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
60k miles, always parked indoors, always hand washed by myself or by dealer. Never detailed.

1. Wash
2. clay bar
3. polish using Chemical Guys V36 with orange cutting pad
3a. polish using Chemical Guys VSS with ? cutting pad
4. seal using Chemical Guys Jet Seal with black? cutting pad

I know everyone has their opinions about which products to use, so if anyone has any suggestions about what I chose, please let me know.

Questions:
1. Can I use the polish/seal on the black strip on the lower part of the rear bumper or should I avoid polishing this area altogether - I have the M Sport front and rear bumper

2. Should I avoid using the polish around the underside of the front bumper lip where there might be some paint scratches?

3. Do I need step 3a at all? or should I replace the V36 step with the VSS step?
^ The black diffuser is painted with clear coat so you should be fine. I have the M sport and it's just fine.
^ Polishing scratches deeper than the clear coat isn't worth it especially if you can't see them. I wouldn't bother!

I would do a 2 step at most, but it's all going to depend on your paint condition. It's hard to recommend without actually testing it. Testing a panel would be best that way you can see the progress.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0