E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Remap causes cruise control failure

10-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
wfaz
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Remap causes cruise control failure

Hi
Would appreciate some help or advice on a problem I have.
I had my 08 e92 mapped along with dpf removal and delete(removed from ecu) in December last year from a reputable UK company. I drove the vehicle home afterwards and all seemed OK. I tried to apply the cruise control and got a 'cruise control failure' error message. I assumed it would sort itself out and after doing some reading came to the same conclusion, as many said it has to recalibrate itself.
Well, after a few weeks I noticed it's still not working. I did some more reading and thought I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. I did that and it still didn't work.
I contacted the garage immediately and they're happy to take another look but it's a fair way away and now 10 months on I haven't actually been back!
I expect any advice to be to simply go back to the garage and that's fine but just wondered if there was anytbing I've missed that I could try beforehand.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfaz View Post
Hi
Would appreciate some help or advice on a problem I have.
I had my 08 e92 mapped along with dpf removal and delete(removed from ecu) in December last year from a reputable UK company. I drove the vehicle home afterwards and all seemed OK. I tried to apply the cruise control and got a 'cruise control failure' error message. I assumed it would sort itself out and after doing some reading came to the same conclusion, as many said it has to recalibrate itself.
Well, after a few weeks I noticed it's still not working. I did some more reading and thought I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. I did that and it still didn't work.
I contacted the garage immediately and they're happy to take another look but it's a fair way away and now 10 months on I haven't actually been back!
I expect any advice to be to simply go back to the garage and that's fine but just wondered if there was anytbing I've missed that I could try beforehand.

Thanks in advance
You need to read the codes. I highly doubt the remap is the reason the cruise isn't working however it could have been the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and caused an already stressed component to finally fail.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
wfaz
Rep

That's interesting. It was certainly working up until the moment the car was mapped. I have a code reader and nothing is coming back from the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

They probably flashed your car with a tuned file based on a car without the cruise control option rather than uploading your original file from the car and modifying that one.

It's quite common for this to happen and I'm surprised they haven't admitted their mistake.
The only way to fix this is to re-write the ECU with a file that has the coding for cruise control. So another trip to them, or even better, a trip to a company who knows what they are doing!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
wfaz
Rep

Thank you. I was under the assumption it was a custom map so I'd be disappointed if that was the case. It'll have to be back to them, I guess, unless I paid for a whole new remap.
It's annoying as they want the car for the whole day at least. It's 60 miles away... my fault for not choosing a local garage I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Most garages that offer engine remapping are often just chancers reselling old maps. No custom tuning actually happens.

The good ones are often hard to find. Most reviews are written by people who are just impressed by a little extra shove and care nothing for drive-ability.
DMS and Evolve have a good rep in the UK but I've not personally used either. With my car I'm lucky enough to be able to use MHD Flasher and create a proper custom flash without the need for a garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
Nova2k7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 E85 Z4 3.0 SE

Had my e91 330d mapped yesterday and today the cruise control has decided not to work. Could this be related? It's worked with no problem on a daily basis for the last year.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I just helped somebody fix this in their E90 - it was the tune. He flashed to one of our free tunes and now it's working again (I don't have anything for the diesels or N54s though).

There are often 10-20 different software combinations for each engine, configured differently for options, markets, etc. So most likely whoever made these tunes is just reusing the same file over and over again and it wasn't the right one for your car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
Nova2k7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 E85 Z4 3.0 SE

ive spoken with the tuning company and ive had this response

The tuning side was your cars software just custom modified. Sometimes it can be lost in the coding but rare. I can’t speak for XHP as it’s a closed loop with them. They won’t tell us anything and we can’t see what’s done. The XHP Is obviously generic as it’s only gearbox software.

We can resolve it for you either way ��
Appreciate 0