E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How much do you think it'll cost to fix swirl marks and other blemishes?

10-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

How much do you think it'll cost to fix swirl marks and other blemishes?

I bought my car used about a month ago and the paint looks OK but not fabulous.

Lots of swirl marks and some blemishes like water stains or bird poo stains. It especially visible since my car is black.

It's not excessive but typical of a car that's 6+ years old that's been daily driven.

I'm not even going to attempt to fix it myself.

I haven't got a quote yet but how much do you think it'll cost to get these issues corrected?

I not expecting 100% showroom perfection. If 75%+ of the issues can be corrected, then that would satisfy me.

I'm expecting somewhere around $500 but I'm not real sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Prices will vary drastically depending on the exact amount of work you need done.

Given your brief explanation, it seems you may benefit from a thorough cleaning, decontamination, and two-step paint correction process. This type of service will usually yield a tremendous amount of defect removal, leaving only heavier scratches and defects.

Here are a few examples from a 08 335i Convertible that underwent a similar process...

... this vehicle was also coated with a ceramic nano coating, and the total service was just under $1100.

If you are a DIY savvy person, you can get outstanding results on your own with the proper tools and practice. Dual action polishers are extremely safe and easy to use, so it really just comes down to understanding the process and practicing proper technique. I would be happy to provide some coaching as to what products and processes should be done if you were interested in learning.

Check out this video that helps to give a brief overview of the paint correction process...

If you're looking for a reputable professional in your area, I would be happy to see if I know of anyone around you.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes, that looks a lot like my car's condition.

I'm not going to attempt it myself because I don't know what I'm doing and don't have the facilities or tools to do it myself.

I'll shoot you a PM soon.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

I see youre in NOVA. For around 300-500 you would get a one-step. But i its as bad as the one above. It'll need a 2-step, and that can cost 1000+

Some will be cheaper, but beware work can be dodgy as well. As I found out. Now I do my own detailing

Sure I might not get it absolutely perfect, but at least I am not ruining it, plus the huge amount of money saved. I even found it oddly therapeutic, gives you time to reflect (pun intended) upon your lifes mistakes as you polish your car lol
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
I see youre in NOVA. For around 300-500 you would get a one-step. But i its as bad as the one above. It'll need a 2-step, and that can cost 1000+

Some will be cheaper, but beware work can be dodgy as well. As I found out. Now I do my own detailing

Sure I might not get it absolutely perfect, but at least I am not ruining it, plus the huge amount of money saved. I even found it oddly therapeutic, gives you time to reflect (pun intended) upon your lifes mistakes as you polish your car lol
Yea, I think I'll need 2-Step.

Does anyone know about this detailer:
http://www.tlcautodetail.com/

Google review seem OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw
Quote:

Yea, I think I'll need 2-Step.

Google review seem OK.
you driving to them? dont know much about them.

why not have someone come over. if you're taking the car check out Blockstar. They didnt detail my car, but Ive seen their work. Quality stuff.

I've used Premere Auto detailing. They did one step on my car. Got good results, but after that I stated detailing on my own.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you driving to them?
I might take it to them to evaluate and get a quote. I suspect around $1000.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw
Quote:
you driving to them?
I might take it to them to evaluate and get a quote. I suspect around $1000.
expect more. People have quoted me 1000 for 2 step, when my car didnt even need as much. doesnt hurt to check it out though.

i saw your other Q too. well I know Premere carry all their stuff. They did mine in the office parking lot.

eithery way the only way youll know is when they do a test spot. most do a couple of test spots and will show you how one step vs two step looks. depending on how you like it, you can choose then.
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
expect more. People have quoted me 1000 for 2 step, when my car didnt even need as much. doesnt hurt to check it out though.

i saw your other Q too. well I know Premere carry all their stuff. They did mine in the office parking lot.

eithery way the only way youll know is when they do a test spot. most do a couple of test spots and will show you how one step vs two step looks. depending on how you like it, you can choose then.
They can also add this protective coating called CQuartz. Other companies call it Nano-something but it's apparently similar. Not sure if that's included in the price or it's extra. For $1000+, you'd think they would include it !
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post

Google review seem OK.
Dave Miller is the owner of TLC Auto Detail, and an acquaintance of mine. Dave is a very skilled detailer and I would trust him with my own vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post
They can also add this protective coating called CQuartz. Other companies call it Nano-something but it's apparently similar. Not sure if that's included in the price or it's extra. For $1000+, you'd think they would include it !
Nano coatings are an outstanding way to protect your car and reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep it looking stunning (no need to wax the vehicle once the coating is applied).

CQuartz Finest is an elite, professional grade coating that is only available through a select network of authorized installers. I suspect this coating is in addition to the $1000 you were quoted for the correction work as the coating itself is expensive to purchase and quite time consuming to apply. You can read more about CQuartz Finest at www.cqfinest.com

For more information on nano coatings in general, check out this article:
Paint Coatings: Why You Should Give Them a Shot by Reece @ DI

Let me know if you have any questions!
Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0