E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF delete pipe with Cat

10-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
powellrm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D/2010 Golf TDI (RIP)

DPF delete pipe with Cat

Hey guys,

Newish to the forum. After searching and browsing I couldn't find a whole lot of information about this, but is anyone running a downpipe with a cat add on? I'm back and forth on whether it'll make a difference in smell etc. What's everyone else's experience been with diesel smell after deletes?

It's the downpipe plus cat option http://www.fixmyvw.com/bmw-335d-dpf-delete-kit-3/

I will be doing EGR race pipe/DPF downpipe/SCR gutting out/2.5+ tune over the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

If you want an awesome straight through exhaust check out P&L. Very high quality with excellent fitment and works well with the BPC stage 2.5, as they told me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
auntulna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d, 2005 Passat TDI

My 2 cents, because I'm going to make that decision soon also. I have a 2005 Passat diesel with EGR deleted, and it has a cat.

It smells like a diesel, if you're idling or in the garage running, so a cat won't eliminate that. I don't know if there is a difference between a cat and nothing at all, but I bet the smell is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
there was a long thread on this topic. I'd have to find it again.

Basically the consensus was, removing the doc resulted in a lot of diesel smell and its bad enough on some cars that folks can't drive with their windows down. Also removing the doc significantly increases turbo whistle and exhaust noise. The benifit of removal being some small increase in hp and lower potential egt, but no one to my knowledge has measured the impact. Most just remove the dpf and doc, a few here are running a doc with no dpf and seem happy with the results.

Personally, I have run catless cars, and I wouldn't do it again. When I remove my dpf, I will get one with a doc. The reduction in noise and stink is worth it to me for the small if any trade in hp. The high flow doc that buzken sells in their dp may opt affect power at all.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Nothings better then the smell of straight piped diesel or a cold two stroke exhaust, just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
powellrm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post

Basically the consensus was, removing the doc resulted in a lot of diesel smell and its bad enough on some cars that folks can't drive with their windows down. Also removing the doc significantly increases turbo whistle and exhaust noise. The benifit of removal being some small increase in hp and lower potential egt, but no one to my knowledge has measured the impact. Most just remove the dpf and doc, a few here are running a doc with no dpf and seem happy with the results.

Personally, I have run catless cars, and I wouldn't do it again. When I remove my dpf, I will get one with a doc. The reduction in noise and stink is worth it to me for the small if any trade in hp. The high flow doc that buzken sells in their dp may opt affect power at all.
thanks man! that would be awesome if you could find it, I couldn't quite seem to hunt it down. I promise I'm not one of those, "oh my god after i deleted my emissions equipment it reeks of diesel-is this normal???" kind of guys lol.

I'm just wondering if the extra $200 for the cat will be worth it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
powellrm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post

thanks for your feedback. This is on line with my thinking. Sound and resonator stuff I don't really care about, but if I can dial back the smell just a bit I'll shill out a few extra bucks.

raw diesel exhaust..."THAT'LL PUT SOME LED IN YOUR PENCIL KID".
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

When you are sitting at idle and driving at low load you shouldn't be smokeing the place up. I would hope the exhaust purchased would have excellent sealing capabilities where the smell would be negligible. Maybe I am just being overly optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
When you are sitting at idle and driving at low load you shouldn't be smokeing the place up. I would hope the exhaust purchased would have excellent sealing capabilities where the smell would be negligible. Maybe I am just being overly optimistic.
Not smoke, raw exhaust smell. Sealing quality of the exhaust has no affect on the smell that is sent out the tailpipe. When sitting at idle even though it all goes out the back it quickly disperses through the area and you can smell it in the car. Its a good reminder of how bad driving in traffic is for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
powellrm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Nah its the exhaust smell. Especially with the windows down or idling or while putting the car in reverse. Exhaust, smoke, etc is fine-but with my car being a daily driver I gotta draw a line somewhere.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
powellrm
Private
Rep

The $200 cat with downpipe worth it? Anyone have that Buzzken set up or a set up with the optional cat? I err towards yes.

Thanks everybody
Appreciate 0