BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Gut wireless charging cradle + install mat & 12V socket

10-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Gut wireless charging cradle + install mat & 12V socket

Hi,

I have to get this sorted – on my S5 I have an empty well under the armrest and a socket. Nice, neat and works great. I have a samsung S7 edge in a tech21 slim case but looks like 1-2mm too big to fit in the charging cradle. I was going to take a dermel to the rubber front stop but the reality is my phone supports a fast charge so I would not use it anyhow. From my understanding, the wireless setup is new to 2017 so it must have had a mat there before. Is the M235 console area the same as the M2? Link below. I cannot find any remove/replace of the charging unit. has anyone performed surgery around that area to remove the wireless stuff and leave a flat surface, etc? My hope is to find 12V there and just install a socket for my fast charger and be done with this. Nice having msgs show up on the display, I don’t need to look at my phone as much while driving so they at least they got that right. I was thinking of just using the rear lighter but there is no clean way to feed in the cord into the well + I would like the extra room from the cradle not being there. Any thoughts on this matter most appreciated

Thank you!

M2LA

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...oduct=11166320
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
Hi,

I have to get this sorted – on my S5 I have an empty well under the armrest and a socket. Nice, neat and works great. I have a samsung S7 edge in a tech21 slim case but looks like 1-2mm too big to fit in the charging cradle. I was going to take a dermel to the rubber front stop but the reality is my phone supports a fast charge so I would not use it anyhow. From my understanding, the wireless setup is new to 2017 so it must have had a mat there before. Is the M235 console area the same as the M2? Link below. I cannot find any remove/replace of the charging unit. has anyone performed surgery around that area to remove the wireless stuff and leave a flat surface, etc? My hope is to find 12V there and just install a socket for my fast charger and be done with this. Nice having msgs show up on the display, I don’t need to look at my phone as much while driving so they at least they got that right. I was thinking of just using the rear lighter but there is no clean way to feed in the cord into the well + I would like the extra room from the cradle not being there. Any thoughts on this matter most appreciated

Thank you!

M2LA

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...oduct=11166320

There's a post somewhere on here where one guy removed the wireless charging apparatus and replaced it with a mat. He had a DIY and pics up as well, I just don't remember where it is exactly. I know others have done the same also.

EDIT: Here is a link w/pics for the f30 http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=31
Members have used the instructions and said it's the same;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln30 View Post
Even though he was removing a snap in adapter, the instructions at the link are exact EXCEPT he states and pictures that you need a Torx driver but really a small flat head, hook tool or similar is only used to release the connectors. The rest is done with trim tools and fingers. Just like the instructions, it was necessary to pull hard (you think you are going to break the charger) to get the charger to release. I found to easier to do from the passenger side, sitting in the back seat. Your gonna be back there to remove the vent and unplug the cables, so I just moved the front seat all the way forward and set the tools on the floor in the back and did all the work from there.
Part # for mat: 51169227902
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...48#51169227902

Last edited by WaMi; 10-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Because I can...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

thank you, I came across this info as well, mat ordered, adapter ordered. all is good in the world. have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
DJM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

This works for the F82 chassis as well

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8;postcount=31
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I did this mod yesterday, pretty easy to do. My car only had 2 wires though, not 3 like is shown in the DIY post. Also, word of advice: do NOT take out the vent tube! At least not all the way, I did that thinking it would make everything easier. Well, it did make it much easier until I needed to put it back in. Trust me, dont take it out all the way. Only move out partially as suggested in the linked post. Nice having the extra center console space, I never used the wireless charger anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Rough on the hands

I removed my wireless charging cradle today. I had the cradle with the sliding adapter and only two cables. A few notes:
1) I had to apply quite a bit of force with my trim tool and pulling up with my fingers on the adapter to get the front edge to release.
2) Once I removed the air vent, getting the pink connector removed was the hardest part of the whole job. I ended up removing the whole white bracket so I could figure out how the black clip on the pink connector worked. Getting that white bracket out and back in was a PITA, but I couldn't see a better way to do it.
3) As the previous post mentioned, don't pull the internal air duct out too far when you pull the wiring through to the top...it can be hard to get the duct back in. Just play with the angle you're pushing and eventually you'll find the right way.

Took me 45 minutes to figure out all the gotchas.

Last edited by fleetfoot; 07-09-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0