E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Jet Fuel in the D

10-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Jet Fuel in the D

Just contemplating here. I have an option to fill my car up for free with Jet-A fuel, but wondering if it's even viable as a source and what additives I need to make this safe for my car.

I know Jet-A is a very clean type of diesel with NO lubrication properties at all. Cetane is not even measured so I am unsure on that as well.

If it deems to much of a hassle to get this to work, I won't bother with it. I do drive roughly 500mi a week, hence the reasoning.

If anyone has done any research and with actual data (not too hard to find in this section, lol) that would be great. Also, if anyone has any good direction for me to look in order to research myself (letmegooglethatforyou isn't what I'm after) will be appreciated as well.
      10-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I'd be concerned for no additives for lubricity. Need to read that Spicer report posted in my Optilube XPD thread. The baseline that was started with was non available at pump diesel with NO additives. I don't have a clue if that baseline in any way compares to straight jet-A fuel.

http://www.diesel**********/forum/76...y-results.html

replace **** with place dot com
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I know Jet-A is a very clean type of diesel with NO lubrication properties at all.
Start shopping for a new HPFP before you run Jet-A
Appreciate 1
glitdi53.00
      10-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

I know it's bad to put straight Jet-A into my car, but what additives, if any, can I add in that will allow me to run it? If the answer comes to no, then I won't run it, no big deal.
      10-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Unless you find a chemical engineer to answer that or someone who does this all the time, I'd be scared of any answer you get.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW
Unless you find a chemical engineer to answer that or someone who does this all the time, I'd be scared of any answer you get.
I agree as well.
      10-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

You can mix 2 stroke oil with it, but theres not much benefit unless you can get it super cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I can see the allure of free fuel. I drive ~90 miles per day. But after a quick Google, I wouldn't risk running Jet-A. Long term health of your engine sounds questionable if you're running this fuel regularly.

I might do it if I were stuck in the middle of nowhere, but I personally wouldn't run this regularly.

Here's an excerpt from a Chevron rep over in the Ford Diesel forums:

Quote:
"... while there is only one basic Jet A species, there are several kinds of diesel - diesel No. 1 and diesel No. 2 (amongst others). Jet A is more like Diesel No. 1. Diesel No. 2 is the more common "diesel" fuel, since it is the fuel used by vehicles "on-road".

All of the fuels are products of the refining process. One of the main differences between them is their distillation boiling ranges. Diesel No. 2 has a higher (in temperature) boiling range and is more dense than Jet A and/or diesel No. 1 (both of which have lower densities and lower boiling range temperatures). A fuel which is less dense will have lower fuel economy (less BTU's per gallon). All of this is "besides the point" as far as the appropriateness of any of the three to perform in the engines that were designed for their use. If the engine manufacturer indicates the use of only one type of fuel, that is the fuel that should be used.

For further information please visit Chevron's INTERNET site at Chevron Corporation Home Page
There are some very informative publications at the site at http://www.chevron.com/chevron_root/prodserv (there is an "underscore" character after the second "chevron" word). When you reach that site, click on the word "Fuels" and you will then see a "Publications" option.

That said, we will break down your inquiries into a group of statements that we have put together to answer others who have asked similar questions:

Jet A, Diesel No. 1, and Diesel No. 2, are covered by different American Society For Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications. The diesel fuels are covered by ASTM D 975, "Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils". Jet A has the designation of ASTM D 1655, "Standard Specification for Aviation Turbine Fuels".

According to the ASTM specifications listed above, the sulfur limit for Jet A is a maximum of 0.3 mass %. Because of an Environmental Protection Agency 1993 regulation, the specification for sulfur in "on road" Diesel No. 1 and Diesel No. 2 is a maximum of 0.05 mass % - a large difference from the Jet A sulfur level.

The EPA regulation would be broken if one were to use Jet A for "on-road" Diesel. Jet A is also not taxed for "on-road" use, so would be illegal to use in "on-road" vehicles and possibly illegal in some "off-road" uses as well. Both the sulfur level and the tax issue need to be considered in a legal sense when considering the uses of these fuels.

Another difference between the fuels is the viscosity. The ASTM D 1655 detailed viscosity requirement of Jet A is a maximum of 8 mm2/S (millimeter squared/Seconds - [1mm2/S = 1 Centistoke]) at -200C. The ASTM D 975 viscosity requirement of Diesel No. 1 is a minimum of 1.3 and a maximum of 2.4 mm2/S at 400C and of Diesel No. 2, a minimum of 1.9 and a maximum of 4.1 mm2/S at 400C. It is hard to compare these, since the testing temperatures of the diesels do not agree with that of the Jet A. However, the viscosities at 200 Centigrade and in units "milliPascal/Seconds" (still another, and different unit measurement) for the two fuels according to a national average of four semiannual surveys taken from 1990-1992 are as follows:

Jet A & Diesel No. 1 1.33
Diesel No. 2 3.20

Jet A and Diesel No. 1 tend towards lower viscosities. Lower lubricity is likely as the viscosity decreases. While this may not cause catastrophic instant damage, it could cause long-term wear of pumps, etc.

Jet fuels have additional specifications that aren't required of diesel fuels. A couple examples of these are the requirement of testing for certain components and a volatility requirement. Some of the methods for testing also vary from one fuel to the other. Basically, however, we have pointed out the biggest differences.

Once again, we stress that you should contact the equipment manufacturers and ask what fuels are proper for use in the engines you are curious about. Also, you must make certain you are not breaking any legal regulations."
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Jet Wrench
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d US Spec

Go for it. You need lubricity for the top end. I use JP5 after a defuel/tank sump and add 2 ounces of tranny fluid (non synthetic) for every gallon of JP5. You can substitute 2 stroke oil as well. JP5/Jet A is a more refined fuel and is drier. In most cases it also contains a microbiocide and anti-gel for extreme low temps. I'll never pass up a cleaner burning, free fuel!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Off topic but I had a girl shut the pump off on me one night when I was filling my jetta and announce over the loud speaker that "that stuff is only for trucks"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
GaryE30
COAL FED
Rep
Drives: 335d, M3, X5

Explain this "free" Jet-A.
      10-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
Off topic but I had a girl shut the pump off on me one night when I was filling my jetta and announce over the loud speaker that "that stuff is only for trucks"
Lol awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE30
Explain this "free" Jet-A.
It's excess sump fuel that cannot be used in aircraft and costs more money to dispose of it.
      10-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
GaryE30
COAL FED
Rep
Drives: 335d, M3, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
It's excess sump fuel that cannot be used in aircraft and costs more money to dispose of it.
Gotcha, thanks!
      10-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #15
logandeere
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d 2004 530i 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Wrench
Go for it. You need lubricity for the top end. I use JP5 after a defuel/tank sump and add 2 ounces of tranny fluid (non synthetic) for every gallon of JP5. You can substitute 2 stroke oil as well. JP5/Jet A is a more refined fuel and is drier. In most cases it also contains a microbiocide and anti-gel for extreme low temps. I'll never pass up a cleaner burning, free fuel!
Is jp5 the same thing as jp8 I can get loads of jp8 for free I didn't think it was ok to use
Appreciate 0