E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Using INPA for a pre-purchase inspection?

10-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Using INPA for a pre-purchase inspection?

I'm checking out an E90 as a potential purchase, and I was wondering if it would be useful to use INPA as part of checking out the car. A few questions:
  1. When reading the modules for errors, it's typical to expect a handful of them on a ten year old car, right? How should I know when to be concerned or not?
  2. Other than reading the modules for errors, anything specific I should do?
  3. Are there any test routines that INPA has to offer for things like fuel pumps, injectors, etc. for the N52 engine?
  4. Are there any good guides for actually using INPA on an E90 instead of just setting it up?
  5. Any specific copies of INPA that are recommended and in English? The one I have (from one of the popular install threads) is mostly in German.

Thanks everyone!
      10-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

If you don't already have INPA installed I'd recommend going for ISTA/D Rheingold. It will be great for what you want. Doesn't need any setting up really.

You didn't state which engine variant you are after?

If it's a diesel, expect glowplug and DPF faults. Nothing to worry about.

I'd be more careful with electrical faults rather than mechanical ones to be honest. Anything JBE related can become a headache.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
If you don't already have INPA installed I'd recommend going for ISTA/D Rheingold. It will be great for what you want. Doesn't need any setting up really.

You didn't state which engine variant you are after?

If it's a diesel, expect glowplug and DPF faults. Nothing to worry about.

I'd be more careful with electrical faults rather than mechanical ones to be honest. Anything JBE related can become a headache.
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

INPA is all I have at the moment. I have a coding-dedicated old Windows XP laptop, and I don't think it's up to running ISTA, certainly not as a VM guest.

I've been meaning to get a copy of ISTA working on something, but never got around to it, mostly because I couldn't find a good guide on how to use it. The idea of just clicking around to learn scares me.

As for the engine, it's an N52 330i.
      10-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Hey Sensible, if you have a good resource on how to setup ISTA/D call me interested. I tried to set it up and it never worked correctly.

With INPA, run the "functional job", error report, it will give you a full list of current errors. Remember that the previous owner/shop may have erased error conditions, so that gives you only that much info. You can also look at the history memory, (HM) which will give you a full history (if it has not been erased, I erased mine by mistake, the buttons are too close :/ )
Appreciate 0