E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Dont Know what happened

10-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

Dont Know what happened

I was following a video on initially working with NCSEXPRT.

INPA showed my cable connected I closed it
opened the coding tool
opened NCSEXPERT clicked on load profile clicked on the NCSEXPERT profile.
Clicked F1 then F3
Picked my chassis E89
screen showed my Vin
I backed out of the vin identification and my wipers turned on, my laptop went blank and said to restart.
I have no power in my battery now, car wont start.
And this is what shows up on my laptop after restart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

It looks like your laptop has a Watchdog recovery mechanism controlled in the BIOS, that was set up by the manufacturer.

This may offer you an attempt to "repair" the laptop which may or may not overwrite everything on it.

If you see something like that come up, cancel out, pull the battery from the laptop and make sure it is disconnected from wall power.

Then press the power button to discharge any remaining current in capacitors.

Plug the battery back in, plug back into wall, and see if it will start up.

--

Did you have a power supply hooked to your car while coding?

Could your car battery have died?

Have you measured voltage at the battery leads?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
It looks like your laptop has a Watchdog recovery mechanism controlled in the BIOS, that was set up by the manufacturer.

This may offer you an attempt to "repair" the laptop which may or may not overwrite everything on it.

If you see something like that come up, cancel out, pull the battery from the laptop and make sure it is disconnected from wall power.

--

I think the battery died or at least it has the black eye, insufficient charge. I have been waiting for a sears AGM charger to go on sale but I guess I cant wait any more. I don't understand why the wipers kicked on?
I don't follow what you mean by "Did you have a power supply hooked to your car while coding?". I was running the laptop with the power supply plugged into an outlet?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post

--

I think the battery died or at least it has the black eye, insufficient charge. I have been waiting for a sears AGM charger to go on sale but I guess I cant wait any more. I don't understand why the wipers kicked on?
I don't follow what you mean by "Did you have a power supply hooked to your car while coding?". I was running the laptop with the power supply plugged into an outlet?
Some people lose track of time when coding and eventually the car battery goes dead. Charge it up and start the car then you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Some people lose track of time when coding and eventually the car battery goes dead. Charge it up and start the car then you should be fine.
Just hooked up my AGM charger it is only at 8V. I decided not to do my coolant change because of the need for a battery charger to hold voltage when the water pump is activated for 12 mins. to purge any air. And here I was yesterday playing around without any thought of draining the battery.

Well lesson learned. I WILL NEVER AGAIN TURN MY CAR TO THE ON POSITION (WHEN CODING) WITHOUT A CAHRGER HOOKED UP.
And if you by a second hand laptop (for coding) make sure you low level format and start a clean install. Cause the unit I bought had a virus lurking and if I were in the middle of some change I probably would have been in grave trouble when the laptop locked up and I could do nothing.

BTW: Sears has a excellent AGM charger and it is on sale for $94.00 and if you open a charge acct your first purchase is credited $25.00

Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Last edited by xyzed; 10-16-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0