E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Carly - Automatic headLight sensitivity setting

10-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Carly - Automatic headLight sensitivity setting

I have a 10 328i, no idrive.

Just bought a Carly old2 and I bought the entire app on google play.

Is it possible that I can enable this setting through Carly?

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I haven't seen specific Auto HL Sensitivity setting for the E9x series, & looking at what can be coded for F3x series - don't see it there either...

But there ARE settings for the Rain Light Sensor

Rain light sensor sensitivity
• very sensitive
• sensitive
• normal
• insensitive
• daytime running lights
Sensitivity of rain light sensor. (codable in FEM)

If you want to know all that is is possible to code with Carly - just go here on their site:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge..._campaign=home

If you can adjust sensitivity thru the stalk, why do you need to adjust it thru Carly?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I haven't seen specific Auto HL Sensitivity setting for the E9x series, & looking at what can be coded for F3x series - don't see it there either...

But there ARE settings for the Rain Light Sensor

Rain light sensor sensitivity
• very sensitive
• sensitive
• normal
• insensitive
• daytime running lights
Sensitivity of rain light sensor. (codable in FEM)

If you want to know all that is is possible to code with Carly - just go here on their site:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge..._campaign=home

If you can adjust sensitivity thru the stalk, why do you need to adjust it thru Carly?
I'm thinking since he doesn't have idrive, that's not a pic of his cluster. I know this is possible using NCS to display that menu through the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'm thinking since he doesn't have idrive, that's not a pic of his cluster. I know this is possible using NCS to display that menu through the stalk.

I don't have a NCS, that's why I bought carly, and im trying to figure out if its possible to enable to option on the cluster through Carly
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
peterparker
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have this setting enabled on my 09 LCI Sedan. I coded this the old fashion way. Let me find the parameter name&setting for you when I get home.

It's in the cluster yes, even tho I have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
I have this setting enabled on my 09 LCI Sedan. I coded this the old fashion way. Let me find the parameter name&setting for you when I get home.

Nice! Because for US cars, if you have the headlights on Auto, xenon will be on 24/7 no matter how bright the sunlight is
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker View Post

Nice! Because for US cars, if you have the headlights on Auto, xenon will be on 24/7 no matter how bright the sunlight is
Mine always go off during the day.

I leave my lights on auto almost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Mine always go off during the day.

I leave my lights on auto almost all the time.
Definitely been coded
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Definitely been coded
No, at defaults.

I leave them on, so that they turn on automatically when I go into parking garages. They do come on earlier than I would like, well before dusk, especially when I drive through darker wooded areas, but they tend to shut off once I am out from under the trees. They don't do this on overcast or sunny days.

Several friends with 335's and F10's also leave theirs set to Auto w/o problems too. They have never coded their cars.

Another friend owns an Indy who sells used BMW's and he's not seen problems with the Auto lights being on all the time.

Last edited by opjose; 10-17-2016 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #10
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, at defaults.

I leave them on, so that they turn on automatically when I go into parking garages. They do come on earlier than I would like, well before dusk, especially when I drive through darker wooded areas, but they tend to shut off once I am out from under the trees. They don't do this on overcast or sunny days.

Several friends with 335's and F10's also leave theirs set to Auto w/o problems too. They have never coded their cars.

Another friend owns an Indy who sells used BMW's and he's not seen problems with the Auto lights being on all the time.
WHATTTTT. 12pm O'clock sunny ass day. Dont know why the freaking xenon needs to stay on.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #11
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
WHATTTTT. 12pm O'clock sunny ass day. Dont know why the freaking xenon needs to stay on.
In "Auto" the only things that turn on for me, my friends, etc. are the DRLs.

If you are finding otherwise on a US Spec car you may want to check the RLS which controls this.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
09' 328iX E92

Yup, my Xenons are in Auto 100% of the time, no headlights ON during the day, only AE's as DRL, & they were never coded to operate in this manner - it was default

Now, my tails are always ON, which was the default on my car & I left them that way

HL will only come ON during the day if it's raining & I turn on wipers (or of course if I'm driving thru tunnel or inside dark parking garage) - mebbe you have a problem with your light sensor
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
opjose
Major
Rep

Yup the lights are supposed to turn on automatically with the wipers in either manual or auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Yup the lights are supposed to turn on automatically with the wipers in either manual or auto mode.
Hmm my lights do not come on with wipers in either auto or manual mode. I vaguely remember someone looking for a way to code such a feature in long ago, but nobody could do it.

(My lights also do not turn on during the day in auto mode).

Does the rain light sensitivity impact light or rain sensitivity? Or both? My rain sensitivity seems too low.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
Hmm my lights do not come on with wipers in either auto or manual mode. I vaguely remember someone looking for a way to code such a feature in long ago, but nobody could do it.

(My lights also do not turn on during the day in auto mode).

Does the rain light sensitivity impact light or rain sensitivity? Or both? My rain sensitivity seems too low.
The lights coming on with wipers requires that you have the lights set to Auto mode. It may not be the same in all vehicles.

Your lights should not come on automatically during the day in Auto mode, except under certain circumstances... e.g. it's fairly dark outside, you enter a tunnel (though not if the tunnel is well lit up), etc.

If I leave my car in Auto mode my lights come on when I enter my garage, which has no windows and the lighting normally off.

Re: Rain light.

RLS is used to control auto mode and I also believe the mirror ambient light sensor is also used.

I did notice sensitivity settings in the FRM, RLS and FZD modules but I could not decipher how they work. Some parameters control the detection via different settings for colors, etc.

Enabling the Kombi control via programming is supposed to better control the sensitivity of the Auto headlights but it does not effect it enough to prevent them from turning on at night or off during the day.

Edit: After looking at the RLS trace file in NCS Dummy, it seems like ALL of the parameters there affect how the lights function.

This leads me to believe that Blueeysredpanda's problem with the lights being on all the time are with his RLS.

I have attached an NCS Dummy file dump of the RLS trace with the translations...
Attached Files
File Type: txt E89-RLS_PL2.C08-ModuleFunctions.txt (34.8 KB, 362 views)

Last edited by opjose; 10-18-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #16
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
The lights coming on with wipers requires that you have the lights set to Auto mode. It may not be the same in all vehicles.
This definitely does not happen on my 2006 330xi or my 2008 535xi, both with xenon lighting. Just my experience. I wish they would though since it's the law here.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Your lights should not come on automatically during the day in Auto mode, except under certain circumstances... e.g. it's fairly dark outside, you enter a tunnel (though not if the tunnel is well lit up), etc.

If I leave my car in Auto mode my lights come on when I enter my garage, which has no windows and the lighting normally off.

Re: Rain light.

RLS is used to control auto mode and I also believe the mirror ambient light sensor is also used.

I did notice sensitivity settings in the FRM, RLS and FZD modules but I could not decipher how they work. Some parameters control the detection via different settings for colors, etc.

Enabling the Kombi control via programming is supposed to better control the sensitivity of the Auto headlights but it does not effect it enough to prevent them from turning on at night or off during the day.

Edit: After looking at the RLS trace file in NCS Dummy, it seems like ALL of the parameters there affect how the lights function.

This leads me to believe that Blueeysredpanda's problem with the lights being on all the time are with his RLS.

I have attached an NCS Dummy file dump of the RLS trace with the translations...
Problem is, OP stated he does not have NCS or cable, only Carly. So he's not gonna be able to do any of this currently
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
opjose
Major
Rep

Yup.

The Carly Devs must have recently added the option to enable the CIC Auto Headlight control. I did not see that in earlier releases.

However he doesn't have iDrive and Carly CAN NOT talk to the RLS directly so Carly will not work for that.

Carly also does not have a provision to code the indicated display in Kombi (which could be added!) but that may also require resetting the RLS module, which it cannot currently do.

---
Edit:

Went to check this out. Carly (at least on my E90) cannot talk to the CCC yet. It is grey out and the app reports no support at the moment.

You CAN however enable the headlight sensitivity display in Kombi (instruments), however my earlier caveat may still apply as Carly cannot reset the RLS.

I also see no coding options for Rain Light Sensitivity on the latest iOS Carly release.... maybe this is only for F-series and up?

Last edited by opjose; 10-20-2016 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
09' 328iX E92

Yup, my Xenons are in Auto 100% of the time, no headlights ON during the day, only AE's as DRL, & they were never coded to operate in this manner - it was default

Now, my tails are always ON, which was the default on my car & I left them that way

HL will only come ON during the day if it's raining & I turn on wipers (or of course if I'm driving thru tunnel or inside dark parking garage) - mebbe you have a problem with your light sensor
I meant for default setting, my AE and Xenon will be on in AUTO. If I switch it to "0" the AE will be on.

But what Auto should really be doing is, only have the AE on during Sunny day, and cloudy day for Xenon.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #20
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yup.

The Carly Devs must have recently added the option to enable the CIC Auto Headlight control. I did not see that in earlier releases.

However he doesn't have iDrive and Carly CAN NOT talk to the RLS directly so Carly will not work for that.

Carly also does not have a provision to code the indicated display in Kombi (which could be added!) but that may also require resetting the RLS module, which it cannot currently do.

---
Edit:

Went to check this out. Carly (at least on my E90) cannot talk to the CCC yet. It is grey out and the app reports no support at the moment.

You CAN however enable the headlight sensitivity display in Kombi (instruments), however my earlier caveat may still apply as Carly cannot reset the RLS.

I also see no coding options for Rain Light Sensitivity on the latest iOS Carly release.... maybe this is only for F-series and up?

I just got the Carly today, and I enabled it, will see if it make a differences tomorrow morning! I set the sensitivity to the lowest!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
opjose
Major
Rep

Please let us know. I'm curious about the results.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #22
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Subscribed for results...
Appreciate 0