BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE Drone Specific RPM

10-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

MPE Drone Specific RPM

Hey --

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a drone in their MPE at a specific RPM. In my case, it happens at 2750-3250. Outside of that range, everything is great but in that range there's a drone and resonance under acceleration. Flaps can be open or closed and there's the same drone/resonance.

The video below doesn't do it justice as to the volume of the drone/resonance. Once I get the car back from paint protection I will take it to the dealer and drive around with a tech and see if anything is loose. But before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Hey --

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a drone in their MPE at a specific RPM. In my case, it happens at 2750-3250. Outside of that range, everything is great but in that range there's a drone and resonance under acceleration. Flaps can be open or closed and there's the same drone/resonance.

The video below doesn't do it justice as to the volume of the drone/resonance. Once I get the car back from paint protection I will take it to the dealer and drive around with a tech and see if anything is loose. But before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R...ew?usp=sharing
I have the same effect. But it develops. I have now 2000 km driven and it seems it's getting lesser, or at least the range get's smaller...I noticed by myself that sometimes I drive in 5th instead of 6th to avoid the drone range.

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Is your drone fixed?
      11-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

1150 Miles and still there. Slightly better. Figure I'll give it another 1000 miles before I make a decision. I'm also getting used to it so it's not as bad in my head any more.

That having been said, I will be coding out ASD on 02DEC and will report back to see if that helped in any way.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I have MPE and I did the ASD bypass (using the harness) and it drones MUCH less. It's almost quiet now, which is fine. It's quiet with valves closed, and loud when I open them up. Best of both worlds. (plus the sound is real--the dash cam footage of my cruise ended up sounding like a video game thanks to the ASD)
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

I also have ASD turned off by the BMT ODB Can Flap Module and it works quite well. Natural sound in combination with the MPE is very nice. I also figured out that the vibration during startup program are mostly coming from the tips. I you really screw them very hard, the vibration from the back is nearly gone...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
I also figured out that the vibration during startup program are mostly coming from the tips. I you really screw them very hard, the vibration from the back is nearly gone...
You should start a thread on it to inspire more members here try and verify your finding. You really should please.

From what I heard, it's a known issue that no one ever found a proven solution yet.
      12-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

After getting my ASD coded out, I think it's good on the highway flaps open or closed. Very little to any drone at cruising. However, there is still a lot of drone present in the RPM range, especially during normal city/traffic/Sunday driving. The car actually gets quieter once it passes the drone range and you can hear the motor and exhaust better.

I'm going to be checking out the Akra setup from DetailersDomain in January and if there's no drone, will be swapping. I can't live long term with the drone. It's annoying and not what I bought the MPE for. It takes the enjoyment out of hearing the ehxaust.

Other than the drone though, Everything else sounds amazing. As long as you're not in the RPM range, it's an amazing sounding exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
After getting my ASD coded out, I think it's good on the highway flaps open or closed. Very little to any drone at cruising. However, there is still a lot of drone present in the RPM range, especially during normal city/traffic/Sunday driving. The car actually gets quieter once it passes the drone range and you can hear the motor and exhaust better.

I'm going to be checking out the Akra setup from DetailersDomain in January and if there's no drone, will be swapping. I can't live long term with the drone. It's annoying and not what I bought the MPE for. It takes the enjoyment out of hearing the ehxaust.

Other than the drone though, Everything else sounds amazing. As long as you're not in the RPM range, it's an amazing sounding exhaust.
Try put the resonator back on to see if drone is gone?
      12-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Try put the resonator back on to see if drone is gone?
Port install so I don't have stock exhaust. Based on others impressions on the forums, the drone is an MPE thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Guys, I have an Akrapovic and no drone. I absolutely have no sound issues.

I experienced that drone driving a manual M2 with MPE and ASD on, and I was like this noise is annoying... Even on idle I was like can someone please remove the ASD please...

I choose to remove ASD, after I drove a M4 with an Akrapovic and the ASD was just complete annoying. I am happy it is gone now and I can enjoy the exhaust properly.

If there is anything 'annoying' on my set up, it might be other people's feelings when I blast pass them... :P

MR
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Guys, I have an Akrapovic and no drone. I absolutely have no sound issues.

I experienced that drone driving a manual M2 with MPE and ASD on, and I was like this noise is annoying... Even on idle I was like can someone please remove the ASD please...

I choose to remove ASD, after I drove a M4 with an Akrapovic and the ASD was just complete annoying. I am happy it is gone now and I can enjoy the exhaust properly.

If there is anything 'annoying' on my set up, it might be other people's feelings when I blast pass them... :P

MR
I removed the ASD and there's still drone. There's a lot less of it on the highway, like I mentioned, but during acceleration from a stop, it's still there and sounds really bad.

I'm checking out an Akrapovic exhaust next month thanks to DetailersDomain . I might be making the switch after I hear it for myself and confirming. Your experience is confirming everything I've read about the two exhausts so assuming all goes well, I'll be switching.

As for the other people's feelings, how can you notice them when you've left them in the dust?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
I also have ASD turned off by the BMT ODB Can Flap Module and it works quite well. Natural sound in combination with the MPE is very nice. I also figured out that the vibration during startup program are mostly coming from the tips. I you really screw them very hard, the vibration from the back is nearly gone...
Did you tighten them much more than the 5Nm (I think?) suggested in the installation manual? I've just had mine fitted and experiencing the same resonating on cold start up for a few seconds before dissipating.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So it turns out the system is designed and manufactured near to me in the U.K. and it might be worth contacting them directly with consumer feedback in relation to any drone issues, especially as they claim "the clear target from BMW was to deliver acoustic performance fitting to the extreme sporty nature of the vehicle, without unpleasant resonant frequencies"

http://redarcheng.co.uk/news/bmw-m2-...duction-ramps/
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

I'm catless. My drone is worse in comfort vs sport with the exhaust flap full open on both. In part I believe to the wastegate position and the active sound. I believe active sound actually helps dissolve drone around 3k. One reason to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #16
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
So it turns out the system is designed and manufactured near to me in the U.K. and it might be worth contacting them directly with consumer feedback in relation to any drone issues, especially as they claim "the clear target from BMW was to deliver acoustic performance fitting to the extreme sporty nature of the vehicle, without unpleasant resonant frequencies"

http://redarcheng.co.uk/news/bmw-m2-...duction-ramps/
Good looking out. I sent my feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #17
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Excellent - report back if you get any response from them
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Having second thoughts getting one now....
      12-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well I realised my tips weren't installed correctly as at least one was loose, my car's currently being detailed and they have refitted them so that should resolve the startup resonance problem for me, will report back in a few days.

Can't say anything about drone as only driven it about 10 miles on the motorway to the detailers since fitting and wasn't an issue for me in that short drive, far too early to comment on this really.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #20
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

I heard it instantly, even under driving in traffic, shifting at around 3k RPM.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
MechEE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I heard it instantly, even under driving in traffic, shifting at around 3k RPM.
My stock non-MPE exhaust has the same drone around 3k.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #22
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well I realised my tips weren't installed correctly as at least one was loose, my car's currently being detailed and they have refitted them so that should resolve the startup resonance problem for me, will report back in a few days.

Can't say anything about drone as only driven it about 10 miles on the motorway to the detailers since fitting and wasn't an issue for me in that short drive, far too early to comment on this really.
Cool. Keep us updated pls.