E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > No Response From ECU When Trying To Connect Through Bluetooth... 2 Different Adapters

10-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

No Response From ECU When Trying To Connect Through Bluetooth... 2 Different Adapters

Ok I'm hoping someone has any ideas or suggestions, I ordered a generic OBD II Bluetooth adapter, tried connecting the BMW carly app and the torque app, neither one of them could connect, both of them gave me the same message, no response from ECU.

I then decided to order the actual carly OBD adapter (generation II) and tried and see if I can get the logs on why is not working, I figured I could get some support from them since I bought their adapter and wanted to pay for the app. Well I did a diagnostics test and the log is just gibberish, I didn't look at the log before sending it and when they replied they said there was no logs included.

I decided to use a different phone this time, originally I was using the LG V10, I tried the same apps with a galaxy S 7, the torque and carly app, also tried carista, same message, no response from ECU.

I can connect to the adapter because on the app it says I'm connected just not getting response from the ECU.I did some research online and here in the forums but I could not find anyone with the same problem, now after spending a lot of time reading it seems the carly has caused a lot of issues for bmw owners so I will steer clear of that app.

Now the main reason I'm making this post is because I found that top gear solutions does remote coding, I was thinking on enlisting their services, but I don't wanna go through the hassle of them shipping me the tools (software/hardware if I understood correctly) and a I end up not being able to connect to the ECU, I still would like to find out why I can't connect and wether I should take the car to the dealer to have them take a look since technically theres nothing wrong with it, I was also wondering if I'm better using an actual cable, because I would like to use the other 2 apps I listed to pull/reset codes and what not.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

When you connect, are you 1) just pushing the key in 2) turning the key to the ON position or 3) turning the engine on?

Also, are you using the automatic car detection option or manually specifying the year and model?

I would also check your connection settings in the app.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:38 AM   #3
DoJu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
When you connect, are you 1) just pushing the key in 2) turning the key to the ON position or 3) turning the engine on?

Also, are you using the automatic car detection option or manually specifying the year and model?

I would also check your connection settings in the app.
Thank you for your reply.

I tried both, first with key on(dash lights up) and then started up the car, no difference, at one point the carly app gave me a message saying something like "connected, retrieving messages and a counter started next to the word messages, it went all the 400+that took like 20-25 minutes until I stopped the app.

I tried auto car detection and entered manually, checked settings within the app but I'm not sure what I need to be checking.

I did see it gives you different connections to choose from, as a last ditch effort one of my coworkers has an e90, I will try it on her car, just to see if connects without trying to change anything I don't feel comfortable with attempting to change the coding on someone's car other than my own.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If you are running any form of tune, disable it first.

e.g. set a JB4 to MAP0, etc.

Turn the ENGINE ON and plug in the Carly adapter.

After a minute go to your device's WiFI settings and make sure that WiFi is OFF.

Then go into the Bluetooth settings and make sure your phone/tablet is paired with the Carly adapter.

In the Carly app make sure you set your vehicle type and then hit "connect".

Does "connect" succeed?

If it does go to "coding" and see which modules the app is able to communicate with.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
DoJu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
If you are running any form of tune, disable it first.

e.g. set a JB4 to MAP0, etc.

Turn the ENGINE ON and plug in the Carly adapter.

After a minute go to your device's WiFI settings and make sure that WiFi is OFF.

Then go into the Bluetooth settings and make sure your phone/tablet is paired with the Carly adapter.

In the Carly app make sure you set your vehicle type and then hit "connect".

Does "connect" succeed?

If it does go to "coding" and see which modules the app is able to communicate with.
I don't have a tune but I tried it the way you explained it and it did not work, tried the adapter on my co-workers car and it connected right away. I checked all the fuses and they are all ok, next step is wait for my oil change and take to the dealer to have them figure it out, I assume they would need to connect to the ECU to reset the oil light... I'll just go from there. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Bounceme
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2016 F11 520d LCI

What car do you have, and how old is it?
Appreciate 0