BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2016 Petit Le Mans chat

10-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
2016 Petit Le Mans chat

So.... I know it's really late in the race (1 hr left), but is anyone else like this right now?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#25 is out with a steering rack failure. #100 had issues (went behind the wall) that put them well off the lead lap. AFAIK, both cars were going to get brake rotor changes because the teams are having issues with rotors cracking (we've already seen a couple of failures this season). Really disappointing end to a rough season. I hope things turn around for them next year, as things aren't shaping up well for the M6 GT racing platform.

The Turner cars seem to have good pace, but things just haven't developed. The GTD field is cutthroat this year.

Pretty remarkable to see Nielsen take the GTD championship though. She's got serious talent. It's nice to see women racing who aren't treated like pro-wrestling sideshows.

Scoring

http://scoring.imsa.com/

Broadcast

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/event/98...p-road-atlanta
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
So.... I know it's really late in the race (1 hr left), but is anyone else like this right now?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#25 is out with a steering rack failure. #100 had issues (went behind the wall) that put them well off the lead lap. AFAIK, both cars were going to get brake rotor changes because the teams are having issues with rotors cracking (we've already seen a couple of failures this season). Really disappointing end to a rough season. I hope things turn around for them next year, as things aren't shaping up well for the M6 GT racing platform.

The Turner cars seem to have good pace, but things just haven't developed. The GTD field is cutthroat this year.

Pretty remarkable to see Nielsen take the GTD championship though. She's got serious talent. It's nice to see women racing who aren't treated like pro-wrestling sideshows.

Scoring

http://scoring.imsa.com/

Broadcast

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/event/98...p-road-atlanta
Yeah, somewhat disappointing for the 25 car and 100 car, but glad to see Turner Motorsport with a pretty descent placing (5th). And I agree with the Nielsen statement.... She can definitely hang with the boys. Good to see her take the GTD championship.

Was a great time today!! Brought my 10 year old with me and he had a blast. He Even had the opportunity to speak with Dirk Werner and get his picture taken with him.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's awesome! Dirk seems like a really great guy in interviews. All the racers do, really. It's such a great sport in that way.

I'm pretty jealous, man. The weather up there was incredible today. Quite the contrast to last year
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
That's awesome! Dirk seems like a really great guy in interviews. All the racers do, really. It's such a great sport in that way.

I'm pretty jealous, man. The weather up there was incredible today. Quite the contrast to last year
Yeah, personally, I love this series compared to any other sporting /racing series. Just something about it.

Lol!! We were just walking down pit row and he was just sitting on the pit wall by himself and my son went over and asked for an autograph, and Dirk invited him to sit on the wall with him. Great guy, and a great Ambassador for the sport!! 🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪
Weather was awesome today! Hope you guys had a great time.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

By chance, were you parked next to a black AMG C63??
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, I didn't get to go this year. We're planning a big trip to Hawaii in the spring, and am going to be out of town for a week around Thanksgiving, so I just couldn't justify the trip this year. Kind of kicking myself because this is the last year of the Corvette DP. Sebring is so much easier for me to get to anyway. Spring can't come soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This made for some good lulz (Will Turner)

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
drjochen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan

Some pictures from yesterday. Great race, overall very disappointing performance by BMW. And they pretty much have nothing for the fans. If I see the marketing that Ford or Corvette do, BMW's 4 old race cars exhibit is kinda pathetic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I might be late to the party but just noticed this topic. This racing �� organization is cool but lost some ground to me in terms of number of prototype class cars.
      10-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I might be late to the party but just noticed this topic. This racing �� organization is cool but lost some ground to me in terms of number of prototype class cars.
That should change next year with the new LMP2/DPi regulations coming into effect. I'm pretty excited about next year with the new prototypes coming in. I was never really a fan of the DP's since I was more of an ALMS fan before they combined with Grand Am. Also excited about Honda and Lexus coming into the GTD category with factory-backed NSX's and RCF's. That should bring more diversity to the field.

My only wish is that we could see even more diversity with other GT3 manufacturers such as Mercedes, McLaren, and Bentley. And I also wish BMW was more competitive in GTLM, but I'm patient and willing to wait and see what they bring in 2018.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
That should change next year with the new LMP2/DPi regulations coming into effect. I'm pretty excited about next year with the new prototypes coming in. I was never really a fan of the DP's since I was more of an ALMS fan before they combined with Grand Am. Also excited about Honda and Lexus coming into the GTD category with factory-backed NSX's and RCF's. That should bring more diversity to the field.

My only wish is that we could see even more diversity with other GT3 manufacturers such as Mercedes, McLaren, and Bentley. And I also wish BMW was more competitive in GTLM, but I'm patient and willing to wait and see what they bring in 2018.
I was slow to warm to the DP's too. Now that I'm finally fully in love with them, they're gone, haha

I'm a little bit curious/concerned about the future of GTLM. GTD has flourished under GT3 rules. GTLM adopts GTE tech regs almost wholesale (they literally use the ACO GTE tech spec PDF pages inserted in to their own document), but it hasn't blown up like GTD. The Ford GT program was a welcome addition of two cars, but Ferrari only fields one car in GTLM. I wonder if this will give other manufacturers any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for your replies , I have been a fan of ALMS since 1999 . I remember BMW also participated in LMP with V12 engines .
Seeing more cars in every category exclusively in LMP is very exciting otherwise it's just a regular car racing with street cars