E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water underneath rear seat

09-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
carver1
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Water underneath rear seat

2010 335D

I've searched and couldn't find anything related to my specific subject

We've had quite a bit of rain here about a month ago, and i started seeing some weird things happening with my car. It started with a faint musty smell when I would get in. I'd roll the windows down to let it air until I couldn't really smell anything. Then one day, I had all kinds of warnings pop up on my iDrive system, pulled over, tried to start the car and it wouldn't start! I started poking around and found that the battery in the rear was FULL of water! the more i looked, I also found out that the rear seat also had a lot of water under it. I pulled the rear seat out and dried the water out as best I could, took the battery out, and cleaned the boot out as well. after it fully dried out, I tried to find the leak using a hose. Some water came in, what seems like near the drivers side rear windshield, but I couldn't really verify where the leak is. I decided to let it go and see if I could fine the source of the leak the next time it rained.

We went a few weeks without having a storm, and just today it started raining fairly steady. I checked the battery compartment, no water. I lifted the rear seat up and there was a ton of water under there. I took my shop vac, and sucked up about 2 gallons of water from under the rear seat. Has anyone had this issue of water getting under their seat? It'll happen when the car is not moving, so it's not coming from below. I ordered a rear windshield seal yesterday to take a stab at it, but I'm really at a loss. I checked the sunroof, and those drain holes seem to be working properly (I only could see the front ones, don't know if there are rear ones as I couldn't find them). I'm really perplexed at this. Where else can i look to see if all the drains are free and clear?

I noticed a rubber tube in the trunk, on either side, the runs up into the pillar. Does anyone know where that goes?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
carver1
Rep

a picture is worth a thousand words...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver1 View Post
2010 335D

I've searched and couldn't find anything related to my specific subject

We've had quite a bit of rain here about a month ago, and i started seeing some weird things happening with my car. It started with a faint musty smell when I would get in. I'd roll the windows down to let it air until I couldn't really smell anything. Then one day, I had all kinds of warnings pop up on my iDrive system, pulled over, tried to start the car and it wouldn't start! I started poking around and found that the battery in the rear was FULL of water! the more i looked, I also found out that the rear seat also had a lot of water under it. I pulled the rear seat out and dried the water out as best I could, took the battery out, and cleaned the boot out as well. after it fully dried out, I tried to find the leak using a hose. Some water came in, what seems like near the drivers side rear windshield, but I couldn't really verify where the leak is. I decided to let it go and see if I could fine the source of the leak the next time it rained.

We went a few weeks without having a storm, and just today it started raining fairly steady. I checked the battery compartment, no water. I lifted the rear seat up and there was a ton of water under there. I took my shop vac, and sucked up about 2 gallons of water from under the rear seat. Has anyone had this issue of water getting under their seat? It'll happen when the car is not moving, so it's not coming from below. I ordered a rear windshield seal yesterday to take a stab at it, but I'm really at a loss. I checked the sunroof, and those drain holes seem to be working properly (I only could see the front ones, don't know if there are rear ones as I couldn't find them). I'm really perplexed at this. Where else can i look to see if all the drains are free and clear?

I noticed a rubber tube in the trunk, on either side, the runs up into the pillar. Does anyone know where that goes?
The tubes you see running up the pillar sounds like those may be the rear drain tubes, could possibly be plugged or disconnected. do they exit the car at all?
see the following link for exploded view:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0341
went thru the same scenario with a mini cooper, front tube became disconnected and let water fill drivers side floor area. had to remove a portion of the headliner to repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
carver1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
The tubes you see running up the pillar sounds like those may be the rear drain tubes, could possibly be plugged or disconnected. do they exit the car at all?
see the following link for exploded view:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0341
went thru the same scenario with a mini cooper, front tube became disconnected and let water fill drivers side floor area. had to remove a portion of the headliner to repair.
Thanks for the diagram. I'm assuming you're talking about rear drain tubes for the sunroof? those tubes do exit the car on either side through the trunk.
Appreciate 0