E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buying used 335i

09-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
wiltonso
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Buying used 335i

Hi all,

Im sure you guys get this question to often, so i apologize in advanced. I am currently in the market for a 335i, preferably an 09. My plan was originally to buy one used, not from a dealer. Although, after reading more and more, i am getting slightly concerned with the idea of not having any sort of warranty. I currently drive an 07 Volvo s60r, so i am pretty familiar with decently hefty repair costs. Luckily, i have a few friends who are mechanics, who have been able to give a helping hand with repairs and such. I know buying CPO would be ideal, but it's also going to cost much more. My hopes is to buy one in the 60-80k miles range. Any advice is much appreciated!

Sophie
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltonso View Post
Hi all,

Im sure you guys get this question to often, so i apologize in advanced. I am currently in the market for a 335i, preferably an 09. My plan was originally to buy one used, not from a dealer. Although, after reading more and more, i am getting slightly concerned with the idea of not having any sort of warranty. I currently drive an 07 Volvo s60r, so i am pretty familiar with decently hefty repair costs. Luckily, i have a few friends who are mechanics, who have been able to give a helping hand with repairs and such. I know buying CPO would be ideal, but it's also going to cost much more. My hopes is to buy one in the 60-80k miles range. Any advice is much appreciated!

Sophie
if you want reliability, your budget allows for it, and you aren't looking for crazy mod gains, get a 2011+ 335. generally they're more reliable

either way though you're going to find people who've had trouble free 335s and others who've had nightmare 335s

not sure how volvo's are now but i know their reliability used to be terrible so getting a 335 shouldn't be much different aside from dealing with turbo related costs
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

PPI is your best friend

Get the N54 if you want power (2007-2010)

Proper oil change intervals- NOT the BMW recommended 15K one. If the interval was half or thrice that, then the car was in good hands.

See if the Water Pump and Thermostat have already been done. They will fail
If you're lucky turbos should be done. Check for rattle (82K miles warranty, not sure about years) They all start to rattle. Major cost, but they last pretty long even if they rattle, and will hold boost fine, say about 100K mils

Gaskets and seals- OFHG, OPG, VCG. These are all prone to leak. On any BMW really, so it'll be good if they have been done. Since you're looking to buy a 60-80K mile car, they might be right around the corner.

Suspension of course. Depends on their life, but they may be shot.

You're not looking for these but, on 07 and 08 models the DME /ECU tends to go. Its a cheap DIY fix, basically replacing some MOSFETS. OR a hefty bill for getting a new DME.

2011+ are the N55 motors (Single twin scroll turbo). Believed to be more reliable than N54, because they dont rattle, but all other problems like gaskets etc, you will still need to watch out for. It does not quite have the mad power potential of the N54, but still a pretty good motor, if you dont really want to go crazy.

Oh yeah, and interior trim peels, but thats an easy fix

GL with you search
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1