E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Schwaben BMW/Mini code faq

09-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Schwaben BMW/Mini code faq

Maybe there's a thread already started for this but I wanted to have a place to ask how to's for this tool.

I recently installed a new BMW agm battery to replace an old agm battery and the registration options were
1. Replace with same battery
2. Replace with battery of higher or lower power
3. Switch from lead to agm

The old battery was a 90a/hr 900 CCA and the new is 92a/hr 850 CCA. I tried the option 2 but it said I needed to go to CIP: Battery and key in the specs but I can't find this menu option anywhere in the tool so it registered as a 90a/hr instead of 92/hr.

Where can I find CIP:Battery option?

Thanks!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

It's fine. You cannot register it as 92ah - just choose the 90ah option and everything will be ok. BMW moved to 92ah from 90ah AGM batteries several years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_
It's fine. You cannot register it as 92ah - just choose the 90ah option and everything will be ok. BMW moved to 92ah from 90ah AGM batteries several years ago.
Thank you sir

It's weird, on the screen where it said to use the CIP Battery menu I chose the ok option at bottom and it said successfully registered even though i was saying ok to the message and not to register it. So, when I go back and choose option 1 to display registration status it says it's registered as 90 but how do I know if that's agm 90 or lead acid 90?

I want it to be agm but it doesn't say.
I wish now I'd just chosen the option that I'm replacing it with same type as before which would be agm but even if I unhook the negative cable to make it think I'm replacing battery and choose replace with same battery then if it's currently thinks it's lead acid then it will again register it as lead acid.
I guess I could choose the other option of changing it from lead acid to agm type and see what it says

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Registration is separate from coding which type of battery.

Easiest way is to use NCSExpert and readout your FA.trc (VO string). Right at the end is the battery type. It should say A090 for AGM or B090 for normal lead battery.

Other way is to read CAS TRC and look at KLASSE_BATTERIE
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Bamaben
Major
Rep

I re read the registration message and says it's currently registered as a 90 ah agm so I'm all good. When I first registered it it actually had it as a 91 ah so after re registering it became 90

Thank you for your responses!

Appreciate 0