E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car is leaning to either side!

09-07-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

car is leaning to either side!

So I recently put an m3 steering wheel on my car and my car started leaning to the right-hand side which is quite noticeable. Then I took my car in for an alignment and the mechanic said that my left front, right front, and left back camber is non-adjustable. He said someone might hit the curb while driving the car and I do not remember I hit anything. He said something might be damage (forgot if he was talking about the camber or the struts ?. After the alignment, I can see that my left front wheel is slightly pointing left when I put my steering wheel in the center, the right front wheel is pointing forward straight. Does anyone know what is causing the problem of my car is leaning to either left or right. I have the alignment result below.

This is killing me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
You have to be careful to replace the steering wheel in the exact same spot as when you took it off. There is a sensor plate behind the wheel and if the steering wheel is off center when you replace it, you will get the offset problem you describe... Turn the wheel until the front tires are straight, remove the steering wheel and put it back on in the correct position. Hopefully this will fix the problem

This wont of course help if one tire is straight and the other one is pointed in a different direction, that can only be fixed by a wheel alignment
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
You have to be careful to replace the steering wheel in the exact same spot as when you took it off. There is a sensor plate behind the wheel and if the steering wheel is off center when you replace it, you will get the offset problem you describe... Turn the wheel until the front tires are straight, remove the steering wheel and put it back on in the correct position. Hopefully this will fix the problem

This wont of course help if one tire is straight and the other one is pointed in a different direction, that can only be fixed by a wheel alignment
IIRC, there's only one way to put the steering wheel back on - there are grooves/teeth/marking that only allow the steering wheel to be only be placed back to the position where it came off so you can't have the wheel turned to 3:00 and then put the steering wheel back on at 12:00.

That's what I remember when swapping for the sport steering wheel.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 09-07-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

When I swapped mine I put a black mark in the middle of the teeth and oem wheel and when I removed it I made sure the new wheel center was on that tooth mark. Works perfectly fine and got a proper alignment as well
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I installed the steering wheel twice. I tried to put the wheel into the center and turns out theres only 1 angle that i can put the wheel in, which is the center. When I put the screw and locked the wheel, it makes the wheel turn to the right side. (not only the wheel, but the whole sgeering column).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacelau View Post
So I recently put an m3 steering wheel on my car and my car started leaning to the right-hand side which is quite noticeable. Then I took my car in for an alignment and the mechanic said that my left front, right front, and left back camber is non-adjustable. He said someone might hit the curb while driving the car and I do not remember I hit anything. He said something might be damage (forgot if he was talking about the camber or the struts ?. After the alignment, I can see that my left front wheel is slightly pointing left when I put my steering wheel in the center, the right front wheel is pointing forward straight. Does anyone know what is causing the problem of my car is leaning to either left or right. I have the alignment result below.

This is killing me
Find a new mechanic.. You have 2 eccentric bolts at the rear of the vehicle. One adjusts camber, the other adjusts toe.

The front has an alignment pin near the strut tower bolts that has to be removed or drilled out that allows for some camber adjustments.
      09-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I installed the steering wheel twice. I tried to put the wheel into the center and turns out theres only 1 angle that i can put the wheel in, which is the center. When I put the screw and locked the wheel, it makes the wheel turn to the right side. (not only the wheel, but the whole sgeering column).
Simply looking at your alignment sheet, your problem likely has to with the fact that you have negative camber on one side and positive on the other. With everything else within spec, your car should pull to the side with the most positive camber. You might also want to consider checking your tires and wheels for any wear/bends.

Hopefully someone here with more alignment experience knowledge can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Something is very wrong with your front camber.

A steering wheel swap wouldn't cause any of that. Maybe someone borrowed your car and hit a curb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
You have to be careful to replace the steering wheel in the exact same spot as when you took it off.
There is only one possible way it can go on.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Something is very wrong with your front camber.

A steering wheel swap wouldn't cause any of that. Maybe someone borrowed your car and hit a curb?
So my camber is broken or what? The car had always leaning to one side since I bought it from the last owner. (very slightly, but you can feel it when I am super concentrate about it so it did not bother me).

This happens after I changed my steering wheel. But as I said, I installed the steering wheel twice and made sure that the center of the wheel is on the mark of the steering column and if I am off, I could not even put the wheel in.

Last edited by wallacelau; 09-07-2016 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Would a bad bushing on the subframe cause this? Say if one side is 10mm thick and other is 5mm.the suspension is connected to the subframe after all
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Based on my alignment result, do you guys think a mechanic can move my left wheel back to pointing forward instead of slightly left?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Based on my alignment result, do you guys think a mechanic can move my left wheel back to pointing forward instead of slightly left?
You probably can, but the car's geometry (aside from the front camber) is where it should be so if you can see one tire or wheel pointed straight or any direction and it's not the same on the other side, something else is bent or out of position. Both your toe and steering wheel position is aligned perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
You probably can, but the car's geometry (aside from the front camber) is where it should be so if you can see one tire or wheel pointed straight or any direction and it's not the same on the other side, something else is bent or out of position. Both your toe and steering wheel position is aligned perfectly.
Then what did the mechanic mean when he told me my camber is non-adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #14
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then what did the mechanic mean when he told me my camber is non-adjustable.
Like I said in an earlier post, if your front camber is out of alignment, good chance that your struts are bent. You can slightly adjust it by removing the alignment pins but it's not going to "fix" your camber issues. But generally speaking, there are slight ways you can adjust the front camber but if it's not to spec, something is bent, likely the struts.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #15
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Like I said in an earlier post, if your front camber is out of alignment, good chance that your struts are bent. You can slightly adjust it by removing the alignment pins but it's not going to "fix" your camber issues. But generally speaking, there are slight ways you can adjust the front camber but if it's not to spec, something is bent, likely the struts.
So I guess I should have a suspension inspection.....
thanks dude
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #16
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I guess I should have a suspension inspection.....
thanks dude
Good luck. Typically you won't be able to see any bends by eye - the bend will be minor (you're looking at a degree or two in change).

Hopefully everything works out for you!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got my car back today. I had my mechanic checked my suspension system but he said nothing is bent. He said my alignment was not good and thus my tires weared unevenly. Last time the shop aligned my car but it felt bad. This time, he found another mechanic to align my car and its way better. Not really leaning to neither side (maybe just a bit but it is barely noticeable).
Good news!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
I just got my car back today. I had my mechanic checked my suspension system but he said nothing is bent. He said my alignment was not good and thus my tires weared unevenly. Last time the shop aligned my car but it felt bad. This time, he found another mechanic to align my car and its way better. Not really leaning to neither side (maybe just a bit but it is barely noticeable).
Good news!
so your mechanic took you for two rides?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #19
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
so your mechanic took you for two rides?
what do you mean?
I had the car aligned last week and it was terrible after that.
I sent in my car on Tuesday for oil leak issue and asked him to do it again for me. He told me he gave my car to another mechanic (different from the guy who aligned my car last time). He said he realized my car is a "higher level" car (maybe he meant its more complicated), so he chose a better mechanic. I was like WTF. LOL
So everything is solved now.
Appreciate 0