ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Help me understand...

I have a 2003 Z4 with the standard suspension (not the sport suspension)..
I just had the Dinan S1 package done on my car. In the package was the "Performance Spring Set and Koni Adjustable Strut and Shocks". The car handles and rides great.... but.... here's my issue... Maybe someone can explain it to me.... As you know the "standard suspension" rides higher than the "sport suspension"... The Dinan package is susposed to lower you about 1/2 inch.... Well, it did... but only a half inch from the standard suspension height.... To be honest, I thought it would drop farther down (like 1/2 inch lower than the Sport suspension)... So my question is, what else controls the height of the car? Thanks, Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

The springs are the only thing that control the height of the car. You could swap the springs out for H&R springs, Eibach Springs, Tein Springs. All of which will lower your car more. Dinan suspension packages generally are pretty dismal on lowering simply because lowering to an extent is purely cosmetic. Couldn't find any details on the Dinan website about how much it lowers but like you said 1/2" is pretty little.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

The suspension sets the ride height. It consists of springs and shocks, both of which can be adjusted. Aftermarket equipment will have different height and dampening rates compared to stock. You have to have an end-goal in mind, and then pick a suspension setup that matches it accordingly. If you're looking for something, post up what it is and other people can help you try to match to it.
Appreciate 0