THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Comfort on long trips.

08-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Comfort on long trips.

Hello,I guess I should have had a much longer test drive. I'm having a real problem on longer trips. I don't have back problems but,after an hour or so my back starts to hurt. I have never had an issue before. I've tried multiple positions. Lumbar positions and the wings adjustments. We are planning a trip. Trying to decide which car to take. The Bimmer or the SUV. After a trip of a few hours,it was decided. The SUV. Maybe it's the run flat tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Well somewhat odd that...I do have an injured back due to a bad ladder fall...don't do THAT.
BUT the 2ffer gives me no issues driving for even 9 hours, and deliberately choosing the curved roads for interest. The seats do well and with short lunch break went right back at it...no problem.

Sorry you are having that issue. I do have the M235 with those great M seats and bolster adjusts. Safe travels...hope it works better for you future.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

I never came across an end all position for the drive up from SC to NJ after delivery and found myself shifting every 30-40 minutes due to some slight discomfort. With my Si, I feel like I can sit back down into the seat and relax for hours. Not sure there's anything to be done other than keep trying slight adjustments - and take the SUV for now if it's really going to detract from your impending haul. I do think it's more the seats than suspension/tires. I have PSS.

Disclaimer: I'm a 25 year old who still considers himself a kid so I really enjoy the stiff ride and the slight discomfort doesn't bother me any other time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Lumbar vs wing adjustments affect very different parts of the body. Can you be more specific about the location of the discomfort? People vary widely and there is no one generally ideal seat, but I find this seat very well fitted to me over long distances.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Lumbar vs wing adjustments affect very different parts of the body. Can you be more specific about the location of the discomfort? People vary widely and there is no one generally ideal seat, but I find this seat very well fitted to me over long distances.
Extreme lower back,right side. As I said,trying everything to see if I could find a good position.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

We're all different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Hello,I guess I should have had a much longer test drive. I'm having a real problem on longer trips. I don't have back problems but,after an hour or so my back starts to hurt. I have never had an issue before. I've tried multiple positions. Lumbar positions and the wings adjustments. We are planning a trip. Trying to decide which car to take. The Bimmer or the SUV. After a trip of a few hours,it was decided. The SUV. Maybe it's the run flat tires.
An example of how we're all different. I've driven my 235 for 7 hrs with a 15 break midway. Jumped out of the car at the end like I hadn't even been driving 15 minutes. Surprised me. Small diffs in body and seat make a big difference.

Had a gen 6 GTI with autobahn seats and LOVED it. Replaced with a gen 7 GTI with regular sport seats and can't stand it.

You might want to try a gel pad. Not necessarily for seat discomfort but so as to raise your torso into a different position wrt the seat back.
      08-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Extreme lower back,right side. As I said,trying everything to see if I could find a good position.
Long distance, remote guesses are worth about the electrons used to write them....

Having said that, with the issue being asymmetric, and on long trips, I wonder about the SI joint, present in the area you describe on both sides. But, if you are using cruise control, or if not, and your leg happens to be in a stressed position, I simply wonder if that is causing the upstream discomfort at your upper pelvis. Just as an experiment, I would do whatever would be different with your right leg to keep it more balanced with the left and see if that makes a difference....cruise control vs not, moving leg versus holding still, etc.

http://www.ergosum.ca/posture_tips/driving/driving/

To repeat and emphasize...this is a random guess shot in the dark, but as you raised the subject.....good luck!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

I have never had a problem with any other car. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #10
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Maybe the recline combined with the lumbar?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Elvis, you have a 228, right? Does it have the M sport seats? I've found them to be super comfortable and very adjustable. It could be the leg position radiating pain up to the lower back. Not sure what could fix that, but try height changes, which will alter the leg angle.

Good luck,
Bozman
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
PChem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 ZHP Vert, 2015 435ix Vert

I've had Piriformis Syndrome and it presents itself much like what you are describing. Long distance truck drivers get this condition and also folks that sleep on their back under heavy covers with their feet splayed outward get the condition. Am not in the medical field, but here's what I learned from the physical therapy experts. Note: This was about five years ago so my recollection may be spotty. As I recall, the piriformis muscle runs under the pelvis in the same region as the sciatic nerve. Normally this is no problem, but when you repeatedly thicken the piriformis muscle by having your right foot in a 2:30 PM position, the muscle thickens and impinges on the nerve and the nerve is pushed into the underside of the pelvis bone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

Here's what I do now:
a. Consciously note the position of my right foot including when driving on cruise control. What I discovered was that while my foot may have felt it was at the 12:30 position, it was laid over against the driveshaft tunnel at a 2:30 position. When laying on my back, I endeavor to cross my feet so that my right foot is trapped in an inward position.
b. Do the exercises noted for strengthening the other muscles and stretching the piriformis muscle.

Note: The piriformis muscle/sciatica impingement condition is just one of several back/leg pain paths. Good luck in determining your pain issue cause and happy motoring.
Appreciate 1
bozman915.00
      08-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

One thought, given the area of discomfort maybe the seat not being square to the wheel is coming into play. If I'm in my car for a long period of time that's the first spot to get sore and I have no back problems aside from the occasional soreness if I overdo it at the gym or something.

That said the 2er is not my car of choice for long haul driving, would take on of my other cars. It's not bad but long drives at highway speed are not where it shines in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

I took some notes driving in. I'm pretty tall and I find myself wanting to be lower in the car but the seat is bottomed out. I often slide forward and down a few inches to compromise, so my lower back takes some stress and gets fatigued.

Are you taller than average?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChem View Post
I've had Piriformis Syndrome and it presents itself much like what you are describing. Long distance truck drivers get this condition and also folks that sleep on their back under heavy covers with their feet splayed outward get the condition. Am not in the medical field, but here's what I learned from the physical therapy experts. Note: This was about five years ago so my recollection may be spotty. As I recall, the piriformis muscle runs under the pelvis in the same region as the sciatic nerve. Normally this is no problem, but when you repeatedly thicken the piriformis muscle by having your right foot in a 2:30 PM position, the muscle thickens and impinges on the nerve and the nerve is pushed into the underside of the pelvis bone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

Here's what I do now:
a. Consciously note the position of my right foot including when driving on cruise control. What I discovered was that while my foot may have felt it was at the 12:30 position, it was laid over against the driveshaft tunnel at a 2:30 position. When laying on my back, I endeavor to cross my feet so that my right foot is trapped in an inward position.
b. Do the exercises noted for strengthening the other muscles and stretching the piriformis muscle.

Note: The piriformis muscle/sciatica impingement condition is just one of several back/leg pain paths. Good luck in determining your pain issue cause and happy motoring.
Wow, excellent information, PChem! I'll have to take note of this next time I'm driving.
I've found that the thigh bolsters help a lot on long drives as well. Also, that combined with making my seat a little higher (so that knees are below hips) - would be similar to an SUV where you sit more "upright". With such a low seat, if the knees are higher/even with hips, that could be putting strain on the low back area.

Bozman
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

If it is the muscles in your back turn the seat heater on. It's like putting a heating pad on you sore back. Yes, I know its dorky, you have the air conditioner blowing full blast on the front of you and the seat heater on your back side, but it worked for me when I strained my back.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I have somewhat the same issue; 'touchy' musculature on the right side of my spine between the small and the tailbone. It's a vestige of a back injury I suffered weightlifting when I was 16. I throw it out every couple of years, usually doing something incredibly banal ...

... anyway, three things:
1). We need to know for sure if you have the stock 228i seats or the Sport seats with the power lumbar adjustment
2). You need to let us know your physical dimensions: height, weight, long or short torso, etc. All of these things matter in terms of the 2 Series seats (or heck: any seats)
3). I would attempt to replicate your SUV's seat position as closely as possible and use that as a baseline.

A couple of notes:
- The 2 Series seat's lean adjustment (the amount that the bottom portion angles back toward the rear of the car) can be set to quite extreme positions. It's easy for tall drivers like me (I'm 6-3, with a fairly long torso) to be tempted to increase the lean angle because it makes you sit lower in the car. However, the more lean, the more stress your back is likely to endure because the hips play a smaller part in supporting your body -- and increasing the recline only makes this worse.
- The 2 Series Sport seat's width is not great for those with wide hips. I barely fit (I'm rocking about a 37" waist right now ... yeah, need to lose an inch or two). If you're much beyond that, you will tend to sit on one side or the other of your hips -- which can exacerbate pain in the areas you and I have issues in -- and the slight leftward angle of the seat relative to the wheel combined with the less-than-ideal placement and angle of the deadpedal for the left foot, only makes things worse.

I've taken my 228i with Sport seats on multi-day trips with drives of 600 miles-plus per day. No issues; just slight stiffness that I encounter in pretty much any seat.

EDIT: One more adjustment to pay attention to on the Sport seats: the lower femur bolster. Do NOT extend it beyond where your hamstring starts to curve upward into your knee. The intent of that bolster is to support your legs but not take much weight; that will help focus the support where it needs to be: in your hips and upper legs.

Last edited by Viffermike; 08-30-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Drove mine for 2 hours 3-4X no problems. We drive to Fla. in winter so we take the X3. Probably more comfortable than the 228 (10 & 8 hours on consecutive days) And, we could never get all the crap we take in the 228.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
We have the Sport seats in the wife's 228i convertible and they have lumbar support (Premium package). Recently drove from southeast NC to the Blue Ridge Mountains (Boone area), down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, then back home via US 74. Zero comfort issues. Same with our 335i sedan equipped with the same type of seats and lumbar, including some all-day driving from NC to CT.

I've driven a few loaners with the non-Sport seats and they're not nearly as comfy for me.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #20
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Here is a video on driving position from a BMW track instructor.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #21
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I have somewhat the same issue; 'touchy' musculature on the right side of my spine between the small and the tailbone. It's a vestige of a back injury I suffered weightlifting when I was 16. I throw it out every couple of years, usually doing something incredibly banal ...

... anyway, three things:
1). We need to know for sure if you have the stock 228i seats or the Sport seats with the power lumbar adjustment
2). You need to let us know your physical dimensions: height, weight, long or short torso, etc. All of these things matter in terms of the 2 Series seats (or heck: any seats)
3). I would attempt to replicate your SUV's seat position as closely as possible and use that as a baseline.

A couple of notes:
- The 2 Series seat's lean adjustment (the amount that the bottom portion angles back toward the rear of the car) can be set to quite extreme positions. It's easy for tall drivers like me (I'm 6-3, with a fairly long torso) to be tempted to increase the lean angle because it makes you sit lower in the car. However, the more lean, the more stress your back is likely to endure because the hips play a smaller part in supporting your body -- and increasing the recline only makes this worse.
- The 2 Series Sport seat's width is not great for those with wide hips. I barely fit (I'm rocking about a 37" waist right now ... yeah, need to lose an inch or two). If you're much beyond that, you will tend to sit on one side or the other of your hips -- which can exacerbate pain in the areas you and I have issues in -- and the slight leftward angle of the seat relative to the wheel combined with the less-than-ideal placement and angle of the deadpedal for the left foot, only makes things worse.

I've taken my 228i with Sport seats on multi-day trips with drives of 600 miles-plus per day. No issues; just slight stiffness that I encounter in pretty much any seat.

EDIT: One more adjustment to pay attention to on the Sport seats: the lower femur bolster. Do NOT extend it beyond where your hamstring starts to curve upward into your knee. The intent of that bolster is to support your legs but not take much weight; that will help focus the support where it needs to be: in your hips and upper legs.
I have the sport seats. Thanks for all the info. 6 ft. 200 lbs. I'm going to try adjusting the slide out portion of the seat. The only other thing I have noticed. The floor is farther away from the brake pedal. Usually,with the cruise on I rest my foot in front of the brake pedal. That way,I just turn my foot and it's on the brake pedal. With this car, I turn my foot and it's below the brake pedal. So I had to make an adjustment there.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:13 AM   #22
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Every person is different. You can always ask your dealer to arrange an expert to make some changes to the seat. This would be a lot cheaper than selling the car.