F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Insight on tracking a 340i
Extreme Powerhouse

08-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Insight on tracking a 340i

I'm currently in an '11 E90 M3 that I track 3-4 times a year. It's beginning to get up there in miles and my CPO wrap is about to expire so considering moving to a 340i for a daily driver and occasional track toy. I thought about a new M3/F80, but having driven a couple, they are just too much for a daily driver...perhaps I'm just getting old and want something a little more softly sprung

So my question is - and I know 340's are so new to the market that maybe there's not a lot of data out there yet - how do they hold up on track? I'm looking for advanced to instructor level experiences with them on track (I instruct with BMWCCA and Chin) so want to see if there are overheating issues, brake fade issues or anything else I should be aware of.

My current car goes into limp mode here at COTA after about 5-6 hard laps due to overheating so looking to avoid that issue. I instructed a new F80 at the Trifecta and it didn't even get up over 250 so I know the new M3 has adequate cooling, hoping the 340i does, too!

Car I'm looking at has track package, drivers assit pack and navi, so stripped down pretty well...

Any insights will be much appreciated!

PS as an aside, what pads are people running with the M-Sport brakes on the 340? Currently run DTC-70's and Castrol SRF on the M3, what have people used on this platform?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Havent seen a 340 out on the track yet this year. The engine is far too new to have any serious data on. From what Ive seen/heard the F30s in general have not had the overheat issues the e90's had. That said you guys running down south especially at COTA have a totally different experience usually compared to those of us tracking in the northeast not that we dont see days in the upper 90s here.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Havent seen a 340 out on the track yet this year. The engine is far too new to have any serious data on. From what Ive seen/heard the F30s in general have not had the overheat issues the e90's had. That said you guys running down south especially at COTA have a totally different experience usually compared to those of us tracking in the northeast not that we dont see days in the upper 90s here.

Well, I pulled the trigger, bought the car yesterday after getting a hell of a deal. 50K for a custom built 340i. Feel sort of bad, the guy who ordered it lost his job and never took delivery so it'd been sitting at the back of the Austin BMW lot for a few months. Seems no one was interested in a car with the track package. Dealer told me that most people prefer the M-Sport Package, which really does zero in terms of performance adds, just a bunch of M badges. <shrug>

Here's a pic, I'll post more after I get the windows tinted this week, now just need to find a set of track wheels and get some NT01's to go on them.

Still looking for insight on track pads for this car!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:56 AM   #4
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger, bought the car yesterday after getting a hell of a deal. 50K for a custom built 340i. Feel sort of bad, the guy who ordered it lost his job and never took delivery so it'd been sitting at the back of the Austin BMW lot for a few months. Seems no one was interested in a car with the track package. Dealer told me that most people prefer the M-Sport Package, which really does zero in terms of performance adds, just a bunch of M badges. <shrug>

Here's a pic, I'll post more after I get the windows tinted this week, now just need to find a set of track wheels and get some NT01's to go on them.

Still looking for insight on track pads for this car!

Congrats ! Love the color choice! Very underrated color which I find gorgeous!

M sport package really helps the 3 series look more aggressive (Different front and rear bumper). Without it, IMHO, the car really looks plain and base. BUT, I prefer the m3 front bumper over the m sport front bumper for the 340i. If you plan on changing the front bumper, you can opt for the m3 bumper

Either way, it's your car and however you decided to have it, will be the best possibly choice.

Keep us updated with photos of your new wheels/tints/etc! Looking forward to your build!
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, got the tint scheduled for next Tuesday morning, but will get some other pics up before then

BTW I do have a set of 4 Apex EC-7 8x10 wheels shrouded in 275/35/18 NT01's off the M3 I'm looking to sell. Tires have 2 COTA event on them, still in really good shape(COTA is easy on tires compared to say TWS

Also a set of lightly used DTC-70 pads (also 2 COTA events), make an offer!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
I'm currently in an '11 E90 M3 that I track 3-4 times a year. It's beginning to get up there in miles and my CPO wrap is about to expire so considering moving to a 340i for a daily driver and occasional track toy. I thought about a new M3/F80, but having driven a couple, they are just too much for a daily driver...perhaps I'm just getting old and want something a little more softly sprung

So my question is - and I know 340's are so new to the market that maybe there's not a lot of data out there yet - how do they hold up on track? I'm looking for advanced to instructor level experiences with them on track (I instruct with BMWCCA and Chin) so want to see if there are overheating issues, brake fade issues or anything else I should be aware of.

My current car goes into limp mode here at COTA after about 5-6 hard laps due to overheating so looking to avoid that issue. I instructed a new F80 at the Trifecta and it didn't even get up over 250 so I know the new M3 has adequate cooling, hoping the 340i does, too!

Car I'm looking at has track package, drivers assit pack and navi, so stripped down pretty well...

PS as an aside, what pads are people running with the M-Sport brakes on the 340? Currently run DTC-70's and Castrol SRF on the M3, what have people used on this platform?
Congrats! I got both the Msport and the Trk Pkg, although I don't know if / when I will get to try on a track.

Can't say enough good things about the brakes. Obviously a track might be a whole different story.

We've had a hot month in Richmond Va - very close to mid-90s most of July. Never had overheating issues even when driving hard for a while - BUT

I do feel like the car did accelerate noticeably better on cooler days - which makes sense. But also it seems like it accelerates harder in the first few hard pulls than it does, say a 1/2hr later. Would that be heat soak or something if its performance tails off a bit once it gets hot?
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
Congrats! I got both the Msport and the Trk Pkg, although I don't know if / when I will get to try on a track.

Can't say enough good things about the brakes. Obviously a track might be a whole different story.

We've had a hot month in Richmond Va - very close to mid-90s most of July. Never had overheating issues even when driving hard for a while - BUT

I do feel like the car did accelerate noticeably better on cooler days - which makes sense. But also it seems like it accelerates harder in the first few hard pulls than it does, say a 1/2hr later. Would that be heat soak or something if its performance tails off a bit once it gets hot?
Heat soak, I came out of 2 STi's and a Mazdaspeed 6 and a E90 335i, (and a 540i, E36 GTS3 race car and the E90 M3 on the NA side) so am pretty familiar with turbo cars. Once winter hits, the car will be like a different beast. I "love* the first 40 degree day, my butt dyno says it's a pick up of 20WHP just from the cool temp

I actually gave up tracking the STi's due to issues with heat soak (never tracked the 335, was my DD) and going to limp mode after a few hot laps, was running a Perrin Stage II tune with intake and exhaust which was some of it, but anything over about 80 degrees on track was a recipe for limp mode and/or overheating. Why I went to a NA dedicated track/race car, never had that issue in 5 years of tracking the E36, but that was also before the kids ate up so much of my time and was on track pretty much once a month...not so much these days, maybe once a quarter now.

Just wait for fall, the car will transform!
Appreciate 1
mwh2009288.00
      08-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

stroll down memory lane!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

M-Sport gets you the steering wheel, that alone is worth it to me lol. Im assuming you didnt daily the DTC70s but how are they in terms of dust and warming them up?

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M-Sport gets you the steering wheel, that alone is worth it to me lol. Im assuming you didnt daily the DTC70s but how are they in terms of dust and warming them up?
Nope, swapped to Brembo Street pads between events. The DTC-70's are awesome on track, I've never been able to make them fade at COTA, and that's the hardest track on brakes.

That said, they are very dusty - and it's a metallic dust that will eat paint and wheel finish - and it does take a few hard stops or dragging the brake pedal to get temp in them in the morning.

On pads for the F30 with M-Performance brakes, Bimmerworld wrote me back and said Carbotech XP20's for the front and XP12's for the rear are the best go-to for the car. They ain't cheap, and are actually meant for the F8x but fit F30's with the M-brakes. So one solution found.

I think wheels will be Apex AR-8 in 18x8.5 with a +38 Offset with NT01's in a 245/18/40 square set up.

There's an event in 2 weeks at COTA with Chin and they've pinged me looking for instructors, but it's awful damn hot (102 here today) and the car just barely has 300 miles on it so it's not broken in...what to do, what to do...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
There's an event in 2 weeks at COTA with Chin and they've pinged me looking for instructors, but it's awful damn hot (102 here today) and the car just barely has 300 miles on it so it's not broken in...what to do, what to do...
Country roads, country roads, country roads... - repeat if necessary
      08-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
Quote:
Nope, swapped to Brembo Street pads between events. The DTC-70's are awesome on track, I've never been able to make them fade at COTA, and that's the hardest track on brakes.

That said, they are very dusty - and it's a metallic dust that will eat paint and wheel finish - and it does take a few hard stops or dragging the brake pedal to get temp in them in the morning.

On pads for the F30 with M-Performance brakes, Bimmerworld wrote me back and said Carbotech XP20's for the front and XP12's for the rear are the best go-to for the car. They ain't cheap, and are actually meant for the F8x but fit F30's with the M-brakes. So one solution found.

I think wheels will be Apex AR-8 in 18x8.5 with a +38 Offset with NT01's in a 245/18/40 square set up.

plan on doing any performance mods??
      08-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Go for it!

Does your car have the extra radiator in front of the driver side wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #14
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Meh its broken in plenty by then. Just make sure its warmed up and drive it like you stole it. Im convinced most people who have problems with their engines are because they don't drive their cars hard enough during the break-in. you gotta seat those rings.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #15
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Been out of pocket, kids getting ready to re-start school -THANK GAWD!

Thanks for the replies, mobile window tint is here tomorrow at 9:30am, will take pics soon after. Just got these confirmation from APEX and Bimmerworld:

Your order #100006008

Placed on August 15, 2016 5:08:52 PM PDT

ITEMS IN YOUR ORDER QTY: 4 PRICE
18X8.5" ET38 APEX ARC-8 WHEELSKU: ARC81885ET38AN
Finish
Anthracite

Your order no. 953-323029 has been received.

Carbotech XP20 Racing Brake Pads - F80 M3, F8X M4 Front Carbotech Racing Brake Pads - 1609 / XP20 1 $335.99
Carbotech XP12 Racing Brake Pads - F80 M3, F8X M4 Rear Carbotech Racing Brake Pads - 1656 / XP12 1 $292.99

Still gotta buy tires, and Soulspeed is saying I need camber plates so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #16
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting tidbit re: soulspeed.com - in the video of the STi coming up on Colin, that's me
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #17
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Tint done, it's been raining here for 4 days so this is the only pic worthwhile, will post more later
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

I can't really give an insight on the cooling system of the 340i, but if you have the msport, and in conjunction with the air to water cooling that's new, I don't think you'll have problems with cooling.

I track my 335i occasionally and doing about more than 10+ laps around a 25-30C day track, I never overheated.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know, I had a 335i with the N54, but it was back when I had a dedicated track car so never tracked it. Guess we're going to see in two weeks, will report back after!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #20
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Quote:
Good to know, I had a 335i with the N54, but it was back when I had a dedicated track car so never tracked it. Guess we're going to see in two weeks, will report back after!
So??? Any news, i'm impatient to have your feedback since I'm looking for a 340i and want to do some track days
      09-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #21
dkmesa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 melbourne red 340i

Congrats on the car! Weird that someone would order track handling without M-sport. Surprised BMW would build that combo.
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791430.50
      09-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #22
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
So??? Any news, i'm impatient to have your feedback since I'm looking for a 340i and want to do some track days
Bimmerworld sent me the wrong Carbotech pads two days before the event so didn't have time to get the correct ones shipped and ended up cancelling with Chin. Fortunately they had 18 other instructors and only 14 novice students so it didn't put them in a bind.

First track day now will be the Trifecta in November at COTA. I did just get Padig pads from Turner delivered yesterday and am testing fitment this weekend to make sure they fit.
Appreciate 0