BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Why not backup camera standard in US?

08-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Why not backup camera standard in US?

American can't backup and can't parallel park, that is a fact. Most of us know that by 2018 backup cameras will be standard.
Some $15-18k cars already have them. So why do we have to pay extra for a $50 goddamn camera?
I personally can live without, but it would be nice to have it standard

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/n...by-2018-223739

Quote:

All new cars will include backup cameras by May 2018
Backup cameras designed to prevent potentially deadly backover accidents
Addition of cameras likely to add $40 to $140 to the price of a new car
All new cars must include a backup camera by May 2018. That's the latest from the federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which recently announced the finalized regulation on backup cameras after years of back-and-forth.

According to NHTSA, standard backup cameras will go a long way toward preventing injury and death, especially among children. Roughly 200 people are killed each year and another 14,000 are injured in so-called backover accidents, when drivers reverse over another person without noticing him or her. The vast majority of the victims are children, largely because their small size makes them hard to see from the driver's seat.

Regulations for better rearward visibility have been under consideration for years. In 2007, Congress signed the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act into law, requiring NHTSA to set rear-visibility standards by 2011, but the agency delayed creating the standards for various reasons, in part because of governmental resistance and in part because the organization wanted to make sure that a precise rule could be written.

Now that the rule is written, it mandates that all vehicles under 10,000 pounds include a backup camera by May 2018. It also says that cameras must show a 10-foot-by-20-foot zone behind the vehicle, which most modern backup cameras will have no trouble complying with.

Interestingly, backup cameras were beginning to reach widespread acceptance even without NHTSA's mandate. According to the agency, they're included on around half of all new cars sold today, and data suggests that nearly three-quarters of vehicles will have them by 2018, even with no requirement.

Despite the increasing popularity of cameras, NHTSA says that the mandate will add to the cost of building cars, and that higher cost will likely be passed on to consumers. The agency estimates that its mandate will add around $40 to the price of new vehicles that already include a center display and around $140 to the price of cars that don't. Nonetheless, many believe that this amount is a small price to pay considering the potential benefits that should come from standard backup cameras.

What it means to you: Although NHTSA's mandate doesn't go into effect until 2018, expect many newly released or redesigned cars to add backup cameras earlier than that.

Last edited by rainfall; 08-03-2016 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Anything that can help prevent injury or death should be standard equipment in every vehicle as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Dabozo; 08-03-2016 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Because it's not yet required by law and BMW wants to milk every extra cent out of you?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You will pay for it when it becomes standard anyway. Pay now or later.
      08-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I did not select executive package so no rear camera for me.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
You will pay for it when it becomes standard anyway. Pay now or later.
You are correct. That's fine with me though. The point being you CANT have a car without it ...
....like ABS, seat belts, air bags etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I don't think they will bump the price by whatever the package it costs now. They will do a different thing. It costs less for them to be standard as well.

Right now, you want the backup camera in an M240i, you have to drop another ~$1,000 and it costs them what? $50 for the camera plus other stuff (changing assembly, having the option on the configurator, etc etc)
If it's standard, they can't justify any extra because these things cost very little for them once people have no choice.

I might be opening a can of worms here, but this is why other manufacturers stopped offering manual as an option. The technology and the hardware is cheaper for any example you can think, but adding this option in the production line increases the cost everywhere else (website, assembly line, sales, customer service).
BMW still has customers who choose this brand because it offers manual transmission on virtually all models and that is why they incur the extra cost of leaving both options.

Anyway all that to infer that backup camera standard shouldn't add more than $50
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall
I don't think they will bump the price by whatever the package it costs now. They will do a different thing. It costs less for them to be standard as well.

Right now, you want the backup camera in an M240i, you have to drop another ~$1,000 and it costs them what? $50 for the camera plus other stuff (changing assembly, having the option on the configurator, etc etc)
If it's standard, they can't justify any extra because these things cost very little for them once people have no choice.

I might be opening a can of worms here, but this is why other manufacturers stopped offering manual as an option. The technology and the hardware is cheaper for any example you can think, but adding this option in the production line increases the cost everywhere else (website, assembly line, sales, customer service).
BMW still has customers who choose this brand because it offers manual transmission on virtually all models and that is why they incur the extra cost of leaving both options.

Anyway all that to infer that backup camera standard shouldn't add more than $50
That's a very misguided view on the MT front.

What it comes down to is the fact that 99.99% of people simply don't know how to drive one or don't want the hassle of dealing with a MT.

I can buy a Toyota Camry 6MT in Brazil, but not North America, because the market there demands more affordable cars, which end up being MT's.
Appreciate 0