THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Collision warning.

08-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Collision warning.

I was driving in to my parking garage and the car thought I was about to hit something. I heard a chime and the the brakes clamped down.

Anyone have it just randomly?

I also turned off the stop start. Way too annoying
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
I was driving in to my parking garage and the car thought I was about to hit something. I heard a chime and the the brakes clamped down.

Anyone have it just randomly?

I also turned off the stop start. Way too annoying
I also turned off stop start.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Yes, I turn off the stop-start function. I've had an LED indicator on my dash show the front collision warning light but never experienced a plausible crash warranting the system to engage. But then again, I've only driven the car for 5 days only.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

The system reads the rear stop lights of cars you are following and it could have read a set slightly around corner or even parked if you are close enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
The system reads the rear stop lights of cars you are following and it could have read a set slightly around corner or even parked if you are close enough.
How do you know that? I can't imagine it doing the brake lights alone. That would be useless for cross traffic. Or a stalled car. Or a car doing 50 in a 65 zone.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

I have several false positives when the car activated brakes:

1. Driving at night on a city street at low speed (20mph) approaching pedestrian crossing that was marked by a set of reflecting sticks on each side (like this) . Car suddenly engaged brakes on the empty crosswalk. My guess is that headlights reflections appeared as someone is approaching the crossing and car reacted.

2. Driving at 45 mph on empty road in the middle of the day in the fall. I think a fallen leaf floated near the camera, and car had to prevent a collision with the leaf.

3. Driving fast on a hilly road. It tried to brake not recognizing that it is the pavement that going up.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Not a fan of this technology. I have never caused a rear end accident in the 56 years I have been driving. I use my eyes and pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Not a fan of this technology. I have never caused a rear end accident in the 56 years I have been driving. I use my eyes and pay attention.
I don't have it on my bimmer. Didn't see any cars that had that option package. However,my wife's Acura has the passive system. It just beeps and flashes "brake". There have been several false alerts. It's not ready. I would like to have blind spot detection. I'm not here to discuss pros and cons. It's already been discussed. I would just like to have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:28 AM   #9
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Not quite.

The object collision system does use the camera in rearview the mirror mount, as shown in the manual. It provides object recognition and distance approximation, not light sensing, which is why it will warn on approaching too fast / following too close to car with its tail lights off, as well as recognize and brake for pedestrians.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 08-04-2016 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I don't have it on my bimmer. Didn't see any cars that had that option package. However,my wife's Acura has the passive system. It just beeps and flashes "brake". There have been several false alerts. It's not ready. I would like to have blind spot detection. I'm not here to discuss pros and cons. It's already been discussed. I would just like to have it.
Not trying to talk the sensors down or lobby in any way, but nothing improved my driving confidence more than angling the wing mirrors way out as described in the article that floats around here all the time. With my setup, there is no blind spot to monitor.

I don't think I will ever pay to option active driver assistance.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

I hope the engineers work those kind of bugs out of autonomous driving cars before they foist them on the public.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I've benefitted at least once from the collision alert -- light and beep, not braking. It's easy enough to be distracted, especially in an unfamiliar environment. I'll accept the flaws in the current system. And start/stop saves fuel and reduces emissions. What's not to like about that?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redontheline View Post
Not trying to talk the sensors down or lobby in any way, but nothing improved my driving confidence more than angling the wing mirrors way out as described in the article that floats around here all the time. With my setup, there is no blind spot to monitor.

I don't think I will ever pay to option active driver assistance.
Once in awhile I miss something. No ones perfect. The warning after I hit the signal has probably saved me a few times. That's on my wife's car.
P.s. The blind spot whet you are pulling out of a driveway,with the top up is really bad on the right side.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Once in awhile I miss something. No ones perfect. The warning after I hit the signal has probably saved me a few times. That's on my wife's car.
P.s. The blind spot whet you are pulling out of a driveway,with the top up is really bad on the right side.
That was my concern with our new 228ixvert. A friend who manages Sound FX installed a small camera under each mirror which detects vehicles in the blind spot when you turn on your signals then it shows the vehicle on the nag screen. Also there are 2 infra red sensors in the bumper which gives an audible alert and flashing light on the dash to back up the cameras if you are not using the turn signals. The cameras have 2 small led lights which light up the image at night. The blind spot when the top is up and the head rests create an awful blind spot. With drivers today you need to be able to see them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I've benefitted at least once from the collision alert -- light and beep, not braking. It's easy enough to be distracted, especially in an unfamiliar environment. I'll accept the flaws in the current system. And start/stop saves fuel and reduces emissions. What's not to like about that?
Durability issues. I picture the same scenario as direct injection. I don't remember one ad stating. Direct injection decreases emissions and saves fuel. By the way,at 40,000 miles or so,your engine will have to be taken apart and valves cleaned. It's too new to know how long before starters are going to have to be replaced. Starters usually last the life of the car. With starters being used 2 or 3 or 4 times on most days. Now you have starters being used 50 or 60 times a day in big city traffic. Or more. I will use it if I am caught by a train or something. Otherwise it stays off.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Durability issues. I picture the same scenario as direct injection. I don't remember one ad stating. Direct injection decreases emissions and saves fuel. By the way,at 40,000 miles or so,your engine will have to be taken apart and valves cleaned. It's too new to know how long before starters are going to have to be replaced. Starters usually last the life of the car. With starters being used 2 or 3 or 4 times on most days. Now you have starters being used 50 or 60 times a day in big city traffic. Or more. I will use it if I am caught by a train or something. Otherwise it stays off.
I was debating this issue but have now decided to turn it off after your analysis. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I was debating this issue but have now decided to turn it off after your analysis. thanks.
You're welcome. While it's true that it would probably be covered under warranty. It still could be a pain.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I was under the impression the starter is more robust for auto start/stop. You don't think the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the system?
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #19
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I was under the impression the starter is more robust for auto start/stop. You don't think the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the system?
I think they knew that they were meeting arbitrarily mandated fuel economy figures. The government doesn't care if your car is less reliable or costs more. The government only cares that its edicts are obeyed.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
But,how much more robust can they be? Plus,engineers aren't in control of manufacturing and engineering standards, financial people are!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #21
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
It may very well be more robust. I assume the engineers are in Germany. I have no idea what traffic is like in Germany. It's probably not like New York or LA or Chicago. Perhaps they did and I am all wrong. Did engineers know their direct injection systems would need expensive maintenance. Or did they care? Only time will tell. Remember,in the US it's all about MPG.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #22
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Quote:
Not sure if the starters are more robust but my owners manual states that use of the start stop function increases wear and tear on the starter. That convinced me to deactivate the start stop function. I cannot imagine saving enough fuel over the life of the vehicle to even come close to paying for BMW to replace my out of warranty starter.
Attached Images