THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Gas door wouldn't close?

07-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Bleeped
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235

Gas door wouldn't close?

So after work at home I exit my m235 and notice my gas door is open. I try to close it and it wil not "push in" like normal. So then I notice on the left on the inside near the ribbed plunger looking thing (on the car, not the gas door itself) there is a black rod about 1/2 long sticking out keeping the gas door from pushing back in and working correctly. I pushed this rod in with my finger and it slowly moved and inserted back wherever it came from. The gas door works now so it seems but unsure what is going on. What is the black rod thing that was sticking out preventing the gas door to push in? Is something broke?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

That would be the lock plunger for the fuel filler door. When you lock your car that rod goes into a recess on the inside of the fuel filler door preventing it from being opened. You must of had the fuel filler door open then locked the car. Next time that happens just unlock the car and the lock rod will retract allowing you to close the fuel filler door. Nothing is broken, normal vehicle operation.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
That would be the lock plunger for the fuel filler door. When you lock your car that rod goes into a recess on the inside of the fuel filler door preventing it from being opened. You must of had the fuel filler door open then locked the car. Next time that happens just unlock the car and the lock rod will retract allowing you to close the fuel filler door. Nothing is broken, normal vehicle operation.
that is correct. i had the same issue a few weeks ago when i accidentally hit lock on the comfort access door handle on the passenger door while i was filling up. then for the life of me, i couldn't figure out why the gas flap would not close. i only realized the doors were locked when i had to unlock to pull the door open
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

As Sindarin and vexing mentioned, it's most likely that you had your car locked.
Appreciate 0