BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Went to Seattle WA BMW dealer to checkout the M2

07-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

Went to Seattle WA BMW dealer to checkout the M2

A bit of a dreamer here currently driving an M235i 6MT car. I really wanted to see the M2 in person so went to the local dealer in Seattle WA.

They had an allocation of one car. I was quite surprised given the size of this dealer (it's huge with multiple floors etc).

The front desk person said it had a lot of test drives then it was sold. Poof---that is it she said for 2016 allocation. These things are rarer that hens teeth

So someone in Seattle has the "one" M2. Ha.
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I test drove that car and it had 900 something hard miles on it at that time in early May. They were getting more but the wait list is somewhere over 35 deep there so they're essentially sold out probably into late 2017 (or later? who knows). Also $5k deposits required.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I test drove that car and it had 900 something hard miles on it at that time in early May. They were getting more but the wait list is somewhere over 35 deep there so they're essentially sold out probably into late 2017 (or later? who knows). Also $5k deposits required.
Wow---so they are getting more then. I believe the person at the front desk was just covering for a few minutes so she did not know of the wait list. Go to know.

35 deep is a big list. I'm guessing they are getting somewhere are 10 or so? Thanks for the update.

900 miles is a lot for a "new" car. Hard miles at that.
Other rides
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I was the first or second customer to drive that car. They later offered it to me for sale, at MSRP but with a bunch of Mperformance stuff I didn't want on it. Plus I wanted an MG 6T with close to zero miles, so no go.

Since then, my SA has told me, they've gotten 5 more allocations in this latest June set of allocations (all for MY 2017 cars), and expect to get another set of similar size when the next release comes, which they believe may be in September. With their first car they used for test drives, and the next five, plus dropouts, I've gone from #20 to #8. Meanwhile, I'm still sitting at #1 at a smaller Washington dealer who hasn't gotten anything more than the initial HEA car. The beat goes on...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Since then, my SA has told me, they've gotten 5 more allocations in this latest June set of allocations (all for MY 2017 cars)
My allocation was included in that June block. Currently set for an early August build and October delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was the first or second customer to drive that car. They later offered it to me for sale, at MSRP but with a bunch of Mperformance stuff I didn't want on it. Plus I wanted an MG 6T with close to zero miles, so no go.

Since then, my SA has told me, they've gotten 5 more allocations in this latest June set of allocations (all for MY 2017 cars), and expect to get another set of similar size when the next release comes, which they believe may be in September. With their first car they used for test drives, and the next five, plus dropouts, I've gone from #20 to #8. Meanwhile, I'm still sitting at #1 at a smaller Washington dealer who hasn't gotten anything more than the initial HEA car. The beat goes on...
That's interesting to hear your experience with the dealer. Before I found my 2014 (used) M235i I drove a 6MT car there. It had a ton of Mperf stuff too. Priced out of my range. The SA never even emailed me back when I said that price seemed too high for a used car.

Ultimately I found my car in S Carolina for $9K less than that car was. Yes I had to pay $1300 for having it shipped but I still felt way better about the deal.

I guess in SEA the market is just a bit different "demand" wise. Hope your deal works out on the M2. Sure sounds like it will being at #8 already.
Other rides
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      07-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:

Hey Bruce, I'd love to compare notes with you. I'm also on the list at Seattle BMW. Entered at #16. After seeing your post I reached out to my SA to get an update on where I'm at. Have not heard back yet. Call me cynical but I just have this feeling that I'm naive in thinking that they will adhere to the order of the list and not shuffle folks around behind the scenes based on whether they are a repeat customer, how much they put down, etc. If you went from 20 to 8 and I don't go from 16 to 4, I'll know something is off!

I got the same 5 allocations + 1 demo car tally from my SA that you did. At least that matches up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Hey Bruce, I'd love to compare notes with you. I'm also on the list at Seattle BMW. Entered at #16. After seeing your post I reached out to my SA to get an update on where I'm at. Have not heard back yet. Call me cynical but I just have this feeling that I'm naive in thinking that they will adhere to the order of the list and not shuffle folks around behind the scenes based on whether they are a repeat customer, how much they put down, etc. If you went from 20 to 8 and I don't go from 16 to 4, I'll know something is off!

I got the same 5 allocations + 1 demo car tally from my SA that you did. At least that matches up.
Yes, keep me posted on that one for sure. Who is your SA? Mine is Robert....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
kirk67ss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M2 LBB / 67 Chevelle SS

Quote:

Damn, still nothing?! I figured you'd have one from the "smaller" dealer already. Keep looking and be persistent is my only advice as that worked for me.

I heard that one of the guys in the top couple on the list in Seattle just got his allocation info.

I've only heard of a couple, including mine, in the area currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Yes, keep me posted on that one for sure. Who is your SA? Mine is Robert....
Mine is Kevin. Left him a voicemail on Friday. No reply. Maybe I need to reach out to Robert instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #11
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I'm in the area too. How much are you guys getting for an allocation of an M2? List price? I was originally looking at Golf R, but some crazy dudes were quoting me 40k and I said to myself: aw whatever, let's see what BMW is up to. Now that I test drove a M235i MT, there is no turning back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Mine is Kevin. Left him a voicemail on Friday. No reply. Maybe I need to reach out to Robert instead.
I'm in the same boat as you. I entered the list at #25 and my sales hasn't contacted me since taking a deposit. I called last week asking where I was on the list and they told me #23. There may be something fishy going on, or I was given the wrong information..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
I'm in the area too. How much are you guys getting for an allocation of an M2? List price? I was originally looking at Golf R, but some crazy dudes were quoting me 40k and I said to myself: aw whatever, let's see what BMW is up to. Now that I test drove a M235i MT, there is no turning back.
BMW of Seattle charges MSRP, but you have to make sure YOU configure the car, or it will end up, as their HEA car did, with a bunch of MPerformance stuff you might not want, all charged at MSRP. Since the MSRP for that stuff ranges from the spendy to the absurd, the out-the-door price can get silly fast. So far as I know, though, that has not been an issue for post-HEA cars.
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50
      08-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #14
linjaron
Rep

I just called back today and whoever the sales was told me I'm now 27. That would mean I moved back two spots and he claimed that he may have counted wrong. He has said 0 cars have been delivered and the hea car was sold off the list. It seems they are very likely manipulating the list.

Anyone able to confirm and provide an update?

@DETRoadster any news on your end?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
I just called back today and whoever the sales was told me I'm now 27. That would mean I moved back two spots and he claimed that he may have counted wrong. He has said 0 cars have been delivered and the hea car was sold off the list. It seems they are very likely manipulating the list.

No good news....

My SA ducked my calls last week and this weekend. He's now out of the office until the end of the week. I reached out to Bruce's SA and left a voicemail. I'll definitely update you guys as soon as I hear back.

I gotta say, if I paid thousands of dollars for a slot on a list and discovered I dropped back 2 slots for no good reason, other than the person has problems counting to 27...Oh man...I'm getting mad just thinking about that! How did you not completely lose your sh*t?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Rep

Guys, when we are calling and asking for an update on our position on the list, I think it's important to clarify with the SA if the number they give you accounts for the 1 HEA car and the 5 allocations. I can imagine your name staying on the list until the car is delivered, papers signed, and payment made. Some SAs may be savvy enough to take whatever number you are at, subtract the number of allocations/drop outs, and give you that new number. Others may just be flying through and not taking those things into account. Just a thought that could explain some of the funky stuff we are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post

Do you not have a signed document that states when and what number you were placed on the list? My dealer printed my name, car interest in and the number that I was on a document that I then signed and dated.
      08-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #18
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
Do you not have a signed document that states when and what number you were placed on the list? My dealer printed my name, car interest in and the number that I was on a document that I then signed and dated.
Same here. It shows my deposit and my slot. Big letters and highlighted "M2 Wait List #16".

Got a hold of the SA last night. He confirmed I have moved from 16 to 4. 12 slots. That synchs up with what Bruce was told by his SA (moved from 20 to 8). The SA had the M2 list in front of him and was counting off the HEA delivery, the allocations, and the drop outs to calculate my current number. So I do suspect that anyone who calls and is told they are still sitting at the same position probably is talking to an SA who is not subtracting out those other factors.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #19
linjaron
Rep

No...I was not given any forms to sign. I am going to head down to bmw this weekend and clear this up. It's possible the sales answering the phones just do a quick glance at the list. When the dealer took my deposit be just took my check and that's it.

Last edited by linjaron; 08-03-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
BruceM
Major
Rep

My SA at BMW of Seattle responded to my email yesterday to confirm no new allocations until September, so that also syncs up to what others have said. Numbers of new allocations dealer by dealer in the US in September are still a matter of conjecture, though, it appears.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #21
linjaron
Rep

I emailed the general manager and he confirmed that I am in spot 23, so only moved up two spots. Trying to clarify if that includes cancellations and undelivered allocations yet. He also stated they do not have customers sign any forms until the order process. Seems to be a lot of varying practices depending on the sales person.

Edit: Confirmed with the manager they are not reflecting undelivered cars that have been allocated in the numbers being given. So if there have been two allocations of 5 cars given to date, that would explain the 12 spot move up.

Last edited by linjaron; 08-03-2016 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0