THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Boot/Trunk clunk...can it be improved?

07-16-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
Moel
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Boot/Trunk clunk...can it be improved?

Ok this is going to probably be the weirdest and strangest question asked here for a while...both my mother and I have one annoyance with our 2 series. (It bothers her more than me)

But the boot lid, (trunk for my American friends) doesn't have a premium clunk when you shut it, it sounds hollow and rattly... Is there anything that can be done to improve it so it sounds more like a 3/5 series?

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts...aside from filling it with rockwool
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Weird, more ridiculous I would take the car back to BMW and ask for a refund as the boot lid doesn't clunk.
      07-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

May want to try using rubber shim/ washer's on the bolt that holds the license plate on. Each screw could take from one to three of the rubber washers to eliminate all metal to metal touching.

May have to punch out the rubber washers yourself using supplies from hardware or craft store.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Moel
Private
Rep

I know I know Kiwi, Scott I have wondered if it's the number plate fasteners...I might give that a whirl..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moel View Post
I know I know Kiwi, Scott I have wondered if it's the number plate fasteners...I might give that a whirl..
Absolutely a factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moel View Post
Ok this is going to probably be the weirdest and strangest question asked here for a while...both my mother and I have one annoyance with our 2 series. (It bothers her more than me)

But the boot lid, (trunk for my American friends) doesn't have a premium clunk when you shut it, it sounds hollow and rattly... Is there anything that can be done to improve it so it sounds more like a 3/5 series?

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts...aside from filling it with rockwool
I totally understand. And it drove me nuts. I ended up taking it one step further than suggested by others. When you look closely you will see that the plastic OEM bracket that the license plate screws to actually rocks and flexes quite a bit against the body of the car. This accentuates any rattles and noises created by anything you bolt to it. My solution was to reduce the movement of this bracket by attaching four self adhesive rubber bumpers to the backside of the black plastic bracket. (Get these at the hardware store for about $2. Mine are 1/4" diameter about 3/16" thick.) Simply unscrew the bracket from the trunk and place the bumpers in four equidistant positions on the bracket then reattach.

This stops the extra vibration and bounce caused by the flex of the plastic bracket. It made all the difference in the world for me. Now all I hear is a solid THUNK!
      07-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
This stops the extra vibration and bounce caused by the flex of the plastic bracket. It made all the difference in the world for me. Now all I hear is a solid THUNK!
Did this a few weeks ago when I got plates.. Doesn't sound like a Hyundai anymore..
Appreciate 0