F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 Competition Pack - Thoughts After a Couple of Weeks
GetBMWParts

07-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

M3 Competition Pack - Thoughts After a Couple of Weeks

For anyone who is interested .... just thought I put together a few thoughts after owning my M3 CP for nearly 3 weeks. I’ve only done 350 miles so it’s far from run in however I have “tested” it a couple of times

Performance …….. well compared to my old 335d, its certainly much quicker when you open it up to full chat. It’s really not bad at all considering it’s a new tight engine. Has quite a fair bit of torque however the 335d is a torque monster so it does feel slightly down on initial “pull” when you press throttle a couple of inches. However, I’m comparing a 335d that had done 20K miles vs a new tight engine, I’m sure my 335d wasn’t too impressive when it was brand new!
As Guy said a few months ago when he reviewed an M3……. “the M3 has enough torque to keep the diesel boys happy” which I’d agree with completely. It’s not disappointing at all and pretty good for a petrol. Been driving in Efficient mode most of the time while running it in, but tried Sport+ a few times (cant see the point in using Sport!) and it picks up a heck of a lot quicker, but is nosier as the flaps are open more.
Its difficult so say just “how fast” it is in words but according to ACS’s website the standard non tuned M3 is 80 - 180 km/h is 7.9s whereas the standard 335d is 11.8s, so that gives you an idea. Also EVO magazine timed the 0-100mph at around 8.6s I believe. Some have alluded to the fact it is has the performance of supercars from 10-12 years ago.

Handling ……. this car can make you drive like a hero without trying too much at all. You can press on at alarming speeds down the lanes without much talent needed. As the car is so tied down to the road that the only fear you have is either something pulling out on you or what you could meet around the next bend. You feel pretty much invincible and have so much confidence in the car. Seems no chance of the car bouncing off into a ditch (again comparing to my 335d!) as it’s so tied down to the road. I think I mentioned the other week (on the F80 forum) that there didn’t seem to be a lot of difference between the damper modes, well I think I'm talking bollox as I’ve had chance to play and there is certainly a difference albeit subtle. I tend to leave it in Sport damper setting most of the time, although Sport+ is fine also IMO and reduces body roll further. Not a night and day difference between the two TBH into terms of ride quality so I don’t find Sport+ too firm really. I use Comfort when the missus is in the car to keep her happy . Was surprised there is a little body roll in Sport going around some tight slow bends near where I live, but Sport+ improves this quite a bit.

Sound ……. I’ll be honest, listening to all the Youtube clips of many older standard M3/4’s over the past couple of years, I’ve never been that impressed. But you listen to it in the flesh and it soooo much better, more so with the CP. I love the sound it makes, especially on cold start up. Fire it up and it angrily barks back at you, deep and throaty, its bloody awesome and nothing really like the vids. The pops and crackles you get of the over-run is a giggle too, although the CP is absent from the “farts” of the standard M3 – which is a good thing IMO!

Traction …… this has been one of the things that has surprised me the most, this car has awesome traction given its torque and RWD. Only once on a full bore acceleration did I see the faintest of a flicker from the TC, probably due to the road surface as I’ve not seen this since. Ok, some other M3/4 drivers will probably tell me I’m not driving it properly, lol, but certainly the odd time I’ve wellied it, it not been a problem at all. Fantastic traction in this CP, cant comment on the standard M3/4 ….. I think Guy has said it will break traction a little sooner. Not really wellied it in the wet that much, but again it certainly does NOT appear to be breaking traction at every opportunity in the wet.

Ride ……. ok, its an M3 so it has much stiffer springs than a 3 series, but its not that uncomfortable – and nothing like Sutcliffe says in his Autocar vid on the CP. Stick it in Comfort dampers and its fine/acceptable. However, one difference I have noticed over the 3 series is that anything you have in door pockets or the cup holder WILL vibrate and rattle due to the stiffer springs!!!! You need to make sure everything is well wedged in if rattles annoy you!!

Road Noise ….. certainly more road noise than the 3 series, mainly coming from the rear of the car. Kind of reminds me of a hatchback or an estate with the seats down and parcel shelf out. Doesn’t really bother me TBH, but if you want a refined, quiet but fast car, I guess you’d buy an M5.

Gearbox ….. lightning fast as you would expect from a DCT, cracking bit of machinery. Has a very slight whining noise, especially when coming to a stop. Different characteristics from a different type of ‘box for sure. There is no creep on the DCT like the ZF, however, if you gently blip the throttle it will go into creep mode.

Steering ….. much nicer than the 335d although better tyres probably play some part in that! I find Comfort mode perfectly fine and see no reason to stiffen the steering in the other modes.

Fuel economy …… probably about 10mpg less than the 335d is in all scenarios (around town, on a run etc…), no big deal for me as I only do around 8K miles a year. I certainly would want to think twice about buying an M3 if doing double that mileage or near 20K as you’d be at the pumps every 3-4 days, which would cheese me off I’m sure.

Other stuff……
Doors are lighter than my old 335d. Don’t know whether this is a weight saving M3 thing or an LCI thing, but they definitely don’t need to be slammed as hard!

Surprisingly, it hasn’t yet attracted the boy racers, which suits me fine. Not going mad anyway while it’s being run in. Quite a few people are interested in chatting about this car – funny how they couldn’t give a monkeys when I had the 335d, which is not that far off the pace of an M3 (well, to legal speeds anyway)!

All in all I think it’s a cracking package and to me, things like the additional noises you get over the 3 series which some could see as a negative (road noise, slight DCT whine, exhaust noise, bumpiness, engine noise) add to the drama of owning a car like this. It’s fun, exciting and old school in terms of refinement making each drive an occasion. It reminds me back in the day when cars where a little nosier and bumpier, but boy were they fun.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 9
      07-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Great review. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Good stuff Dopper, glad it's hitting the spot. Sound I think has improved the most over the original.

How about cleaning the Devils wheels....
      07-13-2016, 01:48 AM   #4
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Great review mate, so glad you are enjoying it!!

Still waiting for mine however it is built and will be at the dealer by the end of the month
      07-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #5
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Great review mate, so glad you are enjoying it!!

Still waiting for mine however it is built and will be at the dealer by the end of the month
Finally, not long now mate!

Good write up Dopper! Now get it flippin' run in and open her right up
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 02:48 AM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Nice to hear a balanced review with both positives and a few minor negatives. Sounds a lot of fun and a very worthwhile upgrade from a 335d.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Good review thanks for that.

Burning Question though... does it feel worth the extra dosh over the 335 and does it feel special enough ?

Probably a few people on here with the likes of 330/335ds are pondering an M3 at some point and I guess even in a fairly discounted car we are looking at trade in plus £25k or more..
      07-13-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I had a 335d xdrive and for me the difference is night and day, everything that matters is changed they share some interior moldings that's about it.

The way it steers, stops, goes, sounds, handles, looks and feels is way above 335d

And that's before you even think about unleashing the engine, as an example there is a bigger power difference between a CP M3 and 335d than there is between a 320d and 335d.
      07-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #9
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Good write up and agree with what you say about the M. I've also had people come up and give +ve comments about the car.

The Sport + noise is addictive, keep using it just for that. No idea what that does to the consumption compared with Efficient.

Ignore my four Appreciates, one would have sufficed but my browser went on a go slow.

EDIT: And now it's gone back down to one.
      07-13-2016, 05:18 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Nice one dopper99, but 350 miles in 3 weeks don't your family need emergency bread and milk runs?
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Fly-by
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 BMW 430d GC M Sport

Ace review will be nice to hear how it changes as you get the miles in!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post
Good review thanks for that.

Burning Question though... does it feel worth the extra dosh over the 335 and does it feel special enough ?

Probably a few people on here with the likes of 330/335ds are pondering an M3 at some point and I guess even in a fairly discounted car we are looking at trade in plus £25k or more..
For me, it cost a reasonable deposit (which I'd have stumped up the same for any next new car) and £150 extra a month. So for that amount more its absolutely worth every penny. If it cost me double per month (as I have been quoted in the past) and if I did more miles then probably not worth it. Tony's deal obviously helped and being at the right place at the right time. Again probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for that.

I don't look at the £xxK difference between two cars I'm only really interested in what the monthlies are going to cost me. This M3 is about £12K more than I paid for the 335d two and a half years ago (thats my man maths justification ), and its on less APR. But no doubt now the gap will be a lot wider as the 335d can be had for a lot less than I paid.

Now ok, the fuel bill will be a lot more but as said I don't do a lot of miles (due to living 4 miles from work).
But if you're looking to get good fuel economy, this is achievable .... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1282512

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 07-13-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Nice one dopper99, but 350 miles in 3 weeks don't your family need emergency bread and milk runs?
Agree! I'm reading this as, M3 CP 'not all that'?
      07-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

But you haven't answered the most important question....... Does it get you more pussy? :
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

we all know the answer to that.. only the 4 legged versions !!!

only kidding.. not sure girls are that bothered by the car a bloke drives anymore are they..?!
      07-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

It's surprising that loads of people both men and women of all ages have commented on how it looks, all positively! Even people that you wouldn't think are interested in cars.

As for more pussy, I wouldn't like to comment unless the missus reads this thread.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
But you haven't answered the most important question....... Does it get you more pussy? :
Dopper in......the panty dropper..!
      07-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Nice right up Dopper

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #19
CazuaLLUK