BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Brexit effect on M2 sales in the uk and prices?

07-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Brexit effect on M2 sales in the uk and prices?

With the euro now stronger again`st the pound and people a little nervous about what Brexit might look like,will the price of BMW`s made in Germany go up if the UK leaves the single market?
If i have placed a deposit with delivery late next year can they ask for more money or in my contract binding ?
This could make the first batch of cars go up in value further !!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

No,look on the back of the order form ( if you signed one )

Clause 5.

14 days notice is required to cancel in the event of a price rise that you're not happy with.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

wont be in affect for 2+ years. other than fluctuation is currency exchange i dont think you'll be impacted (as it related to the car).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
wont be in affect for 2+ years. other than fluctuation is currency exchange i dont think you'll be impacted (as it related to the car).
I think it is not the actual Brexit that is the question, but the effect of currency exchange arising form the Brexit - which is happening now.

If BMW decides to bump the price for future models (in the UK) due to currency exchange rate issues you may get hit with it. In Canada, we had an MSRP hike for MY2017 (for whatever reasons, maybe some of them exchange rate driven) and my MY2016 quote (with deposit) was not considered binding and I had to update my agreement to the MY2017 pricing.

Of course, different countries (with different laws) and different dealers and national BMW body, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I believe the price will rise yes.
      07-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If the price goes up I won't be having mine as for me it is not worth it - it's due late December or early January. As had been mentioned, nothing to do with brexit (Europe needs is & it will be two years before we are out), it's too do with the exchange rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland View Post
If the price goes up I won't be having mine as for me it is not worth it - it's due late December or early January. As had been mentioned, nothing to do with brexit (Europe needs is & it will be two years before we are out), it's too do with the exchange rate.

Err, which is a direct result of Brexit.

I have an M2 on order in the UK, which is due for delivery in less than two months. I could not be happier with the exchange rate right now. Saved me several thousand Pounds.

I still think it was disastrous for the UK though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

BREXIT controls the interest rate and M2 sales? No. Currency fluctuates daily regardless. € to £ isn't too bad ATM - at what rate or tolerance are UK RRPs set? That's the question.

The UK is the 4th largest market in the world for BMW and I would imagine they will be protecting car prices as much as they can to prevent them from being removed from leasing company lists due to increased BiK and corporation tax. That's 50% of the sales base right there.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BREXIT controls the interest rate and M2 sales? No. Currency fluctuates daily regardless. € to £ isn't too bad ATM.
What on Earth are you talking about? Who said Brexit controls the interest rate and M2 sales?

YOU said "it's nothing to do with Brexit, it's the exchange rate". What happened to the exchange rate as soon as the Brexit vote was announced? It's a DIRECT consequence!

And the £/€ "isn't too bad at the moment"? What?!

€/£ is awful for the UK. I know as I send significant amounts of money between the two on a constant basis, and have done for 16 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

...but it is not a disaster. Germany has already signalled they they are in bed with the UK and would lose over 1m jobs if issues were to arise because of access to trade - that's a brexit thing. My point is that the euro has recovered slightly since the initial knee jerk loses and it would have to down over a sustained amount of time in order for any manufacturer to alter prices as it would cost them millions to do so (brochures, website changes, confirmed/unconfirmed orders, supplier chain negotiations etc to name but the obvious ones). Let's not foget that the money doesn't flow directly from my bank account to BMW HQ in Germany either.

As such, my point is that currency fluctuates anyway and will likely drop again when the UK either issues article 50, or at some point during the 2 years we are agreeing our terms with the EU. Car prices are not directly tracked on the exchange rate which is why we do not very often see the sticker price change.
Car makers do not just amend prices on a whim...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My point is that the euro has recovered slightly since the initial knee jerk loses
I assume you mean the Pound? And no, it hasn't. It's done nothing of the sort, so I've no idea where you get this idea from. I know because I transfer thousands of Euros from the Netherlands to the UK on a regular basis. I check the rates around five to ten times per day, and have been doing more than that since 24th June. After the initial shock of Brexit on the 24th June which lasted 24 hours, the rate of fall eased but the Pound has continued to devalue against the Euro.

The graph below shows this quite clearly.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #12
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromeister View Post
With the euro now stronger again`st the pound and people a little nervous about what Brexit might look like,will the price of BMW`s made in Germany go up if the UK leaves the single market?
If i have placed a deposit with delivery late next year can they ask for more money or in my contract binding ?
This could make the first batch of cars go up in value further !!
Once you have a signed contract (with order number) the price will be locked in. I signed my order off yesterday for delivery end of year (order placed March) and was informed my car price cannot change now. No sign of any price changes and unlikely to be until outcome of article 50.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #13
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Once you have a signed contract (with order number) the price will be locked in. I signed my order off yesterday for delivery end of year (order placed March) and was informed my car price cannot change now. No sign of any price changes and unlikely to be until outcome of article 50.
This isn't strictly true.
The price can rise through events which are out of BMW UK's control,if for example currency rates go down the toilet,however.....
If you look on the back of your contract its easy to cancell if one is not happy with a price hike.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #14
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

I thought it was strange. I did specifically ask about this and the sales guy said my price is now locked in, only a change of spec would effect anything.

For UK based people, as I mentioned in another thread, I would be more bothered about the 2017 VED prices for those not taking delivery before April. I simply wouldn't buy one under the new bands and would look elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

April 17 car tax increase

Can the £1200 be added to the PCP finance ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #16
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromeister View Post
Can the £1200 be added to the PCP finance ?
I would have thought so as it's all part of the OTR costs.
Appreciate 0