THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Car pressure wash?

07-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
Silentsound
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Car pressure wash?

Hello all,

I have an access to a high pressure wash next to my working place. It has 5-6 different steps which are roughly translated as:

Pre rinse
Wash with soap
Rinse
Warm wax
Final rinse

Do I need to pay attention to anything during washing the car like this?
What about the distances in each step? For some steps the recommended distance is written.

It is a really efficient way and it only costs about 5 chf and 5 minutes.

Should I buy some clothes and detergent to clean by hands as well? (maybe wheels or hard to reach areas).

I have also ordered cleaners for the interior, alcantara / leather. Any tips there?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I read (think it was from the tire manufacturer's) you shouldn't aim a pressure washer at a tire for duration because the pressure washer pulses can deconstruct the tire - but haven't heard much about that recently.

My GF took her car to a self-service wash recently and when she said to the manage 'the water smelled like waste', he said 'it shouldn't because I just added chlorine to the system'. So there is a factor of recycled water?.

I think hand wash with a water stream not under pressure is best...realize many people use and need pressure washers and dealerships use pressure washers so if your caution with how you aim the wand the convenience.
On the extreme Jay Leno say's he just uses Quick Detailers on his So. Calif. garaged kept cars. I think he said something about hoses pushing water deep into seems and recesses - and that could be why some prefer a garden hose to pressure washers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I'd be nervous, but that's just me. I also take about an hour to wash my wheels and car, so clearly a quick wash isn't a priority for me lol.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Should be fine, made for cars so won't hurt it, I would just not use any of there wax, or if they have a brush do not use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I read (think it was from the tire manufacturer's) you shouldn't aim a pressure washer at a tire for duration because the pressure washer pulses can deconstruct the tire - but haven't heard much about that recently.

My GF took her car to a self-service wash recently and when she said to the manage 'the water smelled like waste', he said 'it shouldn't because I just added chlorine to the system'. So there is a factor of recycled water?.

I think hand wash with a water stream not under pressure is best...realize many people use and need pressure washers and dealerships use pressure washers so if your caution with how you aim the wand the convenience.
On the extreme Jay Leno say's he just uses Quick Detailers on his So. Calif. garaged kept cars. I think he said something about hoses pushing water deep into seems and recesses - and that could be why some prefer a garden hose to pressure washers.

If water from a garden hose, or a pressure washer hurts your paint, what's it made out of? Butter? Seriously, car paint is designed for a harsh life. Most detailers use pressure washers, and foam cannons. Rubbing the car with towels which pick up dirt and small rocks, gravel ext. that's what scratches cars and causes swirl marks.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post

If water from a garden hose, or a pressure washer hurts your paint, what's it made out of? Butter? Seriously, car paint is designed for a harsh life. Most detailers use pressure washers, and foam cannons. Rubbing the car with towels which pick up dirt and small rocks, gravel ext. that's what scratches cars and causes swirl marks.
Here's an excerpt of the article that the OP pulled the picture from. As with anything else if you do it incorrectly you can cause damage.

"It is completely safe to use a pressure washer to clean your car as long as the machine you are using is suitable and not excessively powerful, and that you ensure you do not hold the jet of water too close to the paintwork, or drive water into sensitive areas such as window seals or corroded bodywork. It is other areas of the car cleaning process that can cause damage to your paintwork and it is here where more attention should be payed."

Note that the author talks about damage that can occur to things other than paint. Also, Leno has some really old cars in that garage of his. No telling how sensitive those cars are. :/

I recently cleaned the surface of my patio with my pressure washer. I've seen what that thing can do lol. I'd just be nervous to use it. Not saying that I couldn't, I just wouldn't. Besides, it's not really how I'd like to wash my car. It's not Zen enough lol.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 02:57 AM   #7
Silentsound
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Thanks all for the replies, I will read a bit more on the topic.

I'll be careful when using this washer, unfortunately at this point I don't have an access to a garden hose, however I'll think if I could use one somehow, as I would be happy to use one from time to time.

(As per BMW pressure cleaning for mineral grey is okay if distance is more than 50 cm, however this is probably a generalization).

Leather and alcantara cleaners have arrived. Will try them soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
thb229
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Garage List
I know you've already used it but I agree with the other member who pressure washed his pavement. I just did mine as well and mine has enough power to remove some threading from a chair I was cleaning. I then decided to not use it on any of my BMW's, Thant's just one man's opinion as it seems too powerful, even at some distance. I really don't get my cars that dirty where I can not sponge off any dirt and I've got bug stuff that works terrific on the nose or mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep

electric low psi pressure washer, (1200 psi or less). 30 degree tip, that's about it. Yeah they come in all different strengths and tips, we cut steel at work with water jet. 70-100k psi.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
Pparana
Captain
Rep

:laughabo electric low psi pressure washer, (1200 psi or less). 30 degree tip, that's about it. Yeah they come in all different strengths and tips, we cut steel at work with water jet. 70-100k psi.
Appreciate 0