THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA Tint in NJ....how often do you get pulled over?

06-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

Tint in NJ....how often do you get pulled over?

I moved up from FL and had tint on my Legacy GT, once I moved my registration to NJ I got pulled over twice, once for the tint (warning), the other unrelated but he warned me about my tint again and said its in the system so next time I get a ticket. So I was hesitant to put it on my 235 but it looks so much better with it I'm debating taking the risk. I'm in north NJ now, Bergen county, can anyone attest to how often you get hassled about it?

Anyone tried to get a medical exemption? I do have issues with glare but not sure how bad off your eyes need to be to justify it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Honestly I wouldn't risk it here in Bergen County. A couple years ago a friend of mine was over with his heavily modified Audi RS4 and about 100 feet after he pulled onto the main road from the side street I live on he got pulled over for tint and was given a ticket. I myself don't have tint, but I don't always run my front plate as its on one of the tow hook mounts and it comes right off. The very first day that I put my real plate on the rear while my tow hook mount was in the mail, I got pulled over by this total power tripping asshole of a cop in New Milford that was 100% convinced I was a drug dealer doing a drug deal in their CVS parking lot. The real situation was I was there with my friend from Vermont who tries to buy cars down here as they aren't anywhere near as badly damaged by rust from all the salt. We had been in the parking lot for about 20 minutes and I even had my laptop with my VAG-COM to read all the codes and stuff on the car (it was a B5 Audi A4 which was so beat to shit vs the photos on craigslist so we decided to pass on it). As soon as we leave the lot some cops show up to follow me and pulled me over after about half a mile. He was so sure he had a slam dunk case on two drug dealers and was quite upset once he realized we were only looking at a shitty car. He then told me that he was the head of the New Milford narcotics division and that it wouldn't look good if he just let me go so he gave me a no front plate ticket for $65 or so.

Then earlier this week I was letting my father drive me around in my car because of some back issues from when we got rear ended in his Audi allroad a few days before. We passed White Beaches Country Club in Haworth and there was a cop sitting on a side road there who raced to catch up to us. I hadn't had my tow hook front plate mounted up since someone had tapped it and bent it up so that it was blocking part of my headlight and felt it was the better idea to take it off until I could fix it (which admittedly I had been taking my time with). Luckily my father had a PBA card from one of my best friends who is a corrections officer and he let us go with a warning to get it fixed.

So going by my experiences without having a front plate, I wouldn't risk running tint on your front windows as they are both super easy ways for cops to pull you over and get some easy money for the town as well as happening to come upon anything illegal that you may have for whatever the reason is. Even if you know you don't have anything illegal, its still a huge hassle for them to get a dog and tear apart your beautiful new car to find nothing while handing it back to you in pieces having wasted huge amounts of time and money. In the end it just isn't worth it at all really.

I'm gonna throw my front plate back on tomorrow when I have it up on the lift so I can do some adjustments with the tail pipe extenders on my M Performance exhaust made for cars without a diffuser. My issue is I did end up with a diffuser and then they sat too far tucked under. Installed the extenders even with about 2" cut off and they still stick way out. I'll have to do a bit more cutting and stuff but I'm sure I can get it done to my satisfaction in the end.

It really does suck to not be able to have full tints or run a front plate, but in Bergen County it just isn't worth the risk in my own and others experiences.
Appreciate 0