F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i Build
Extreme Powerhouse

06-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Blk340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

340i Build

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the BMW world as this is second one.(well my fiances 2nd one) We ordered the 340i xdrive black on black, m sport, m brakes, and adaptive suspension in March and took delivery at the end of may. In stock form the cars powerr band was very nice and I already had the first three mods in line.

-BMS intake
-JB4
-******* Downpipe - ended up with evolution racewerks

I ordered everything from N54tuning and received everything quickly as promised. I wasted no time and installed the intake and the JB4 upon arrival which took about an hour for both install combined including a few beers. Everything fit perfectly and had "0" issues. The difference in power was immeditely noticeable and we were very please with the products from BMS. Since I sent terry various logs for analysis and to ensure everything is normal and his response times are 2nd to none. A week later(last night) i went to my buddies shop so we can use the lift to install the downpipe. The install went smooth but it is not hard rather tedious when trying to pry the v clamp or get at the two 13mm nuts mounting the dowpipe to the side of the engine block. The only issue we had was a clearance issue when putting the subfram brace back on the bottom of the Downpipe right before the flex joint touched. We tried to loosen everything back up and manuever a little but had no luck. We solved by putting a spacer on the one bolt and it worked. I notified n54 so he can tell ER but i do not see this as a major issue. I am an Xdrive and im not sure if they fitted one yet.

Now for the fun part. The car is a completley different car from factory. these mods definetely woke the car up. The sound from the intake was great but with the downpipe combo, it sounds much better. You can hear the turbo spool and it now spools quicker and holds the power up top much better. I noticed that before the downpipe the power flattened out after 5500 RPM's but it seems to keep pullng now on the butt dyno.

For anyone who is in question on these mods, don't think twice just do it. You will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk340i View Post
Hi all,

I am fairly new to the BMW world as this is second one.(well my fiances 2nd one) We ordered the 340i xdrive black on black, m sport, m brakes, and adaptive suspension in March and took delivery at the end of may. In stock form the cars powerr band was very nice and I already had the first three mods in line.

-BMS intake
-JB4

I ordered everything from N54tuning and received everything quickly as promised. I wasted no time and installed the intake and the JB4 upon arrival which took about an hour for both install combined including a few beers. Everything fit perfectly and had "0" issues. The difference in power was immeditely noticeable and we were very please with the products from BMS. Since I sent terry various logs for analysis and to ensure everything is normal and his response times are 2nd to none. A week later(last night) i went to my buddies shop so we can use the lift to install the downpipe. The install went smooth but it is not hard rather tedious when trying to pry the v clamp or get at the two 13mm nuts mounting the dowpipe to the side of the engine block. The only issue we had was a clearance issue when putting the subfram brace back on the bottom of the Downpipe right before the flex joint touched. We tried to loosen everything back up and manuever a little but had no luck. We solved by putting a spacer on the one bolt and it worked. I notified n54 so he can tell ER but i do not see this as a major issue. I am an Xdrive and im not sure if they fitted one yet.

Now for the fun part. The car is a completley different car from factory. these mods definetely woke the car up. The sound from the intake was great but with the downpipe combo, it sounds much better. You can hear the turbo spool and it now spools quicker and holds the power up top much better. I noticed that before the downpipe the power flattened out after 5500 RPM's but it seems to keep pullng now on the butt dyno.

For anyone who is in question on these mods, don't think twice just do it. You will not regret it.
Glad you got everything installed.. Got any pics of the intake and DPs installed on the car We love pics

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Blk340i
Private
Rep

Ill take some later.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Obsessive Detail
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport Estoril Blue

How long did it take to do the down pipe? Did a lot of things have to be removed?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Quote:
Hi all,
... and took delivery at the end of may ...
Modding so early? You're a braver man than I am! Potential warranty problems are still holding me back.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
Blk340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail View Post
How long did it take to do the down pipe? Did a lot of things have to be removed?
About 90 minutes. Not a lot needs to come off but the v clamp and the two nuts holding the downpipe are a pita to get too on the xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Blk340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thus View Post
Modding so early? You're a braver man than I am! Potential warranty problems are still holding me back.
I know but hey, I'm a power junky and just can't keep my hands off anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ill take some later.
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail View Post
Dp install should be 1.5 - 2.0 hours. Its not overly hard on these cars as its just a single pipe / connection.

Also everything is relatively new so nothing is seized yet

Mike
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Must

Resist

Temptation.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Must

Resist

Temptation.
me too...the struggle is real
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Blk340i
Private
Rep

It's tough but in the end I always lose.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #13
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Congrats. To me the B58 keeps pulling harder and harder to redline, I don't really feel anything going flat, especially in the 5500 range. I do feel a significant drop off in power after the car shifts before power builds again. I find this a bit annoying but the engine is a little gem for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
MikeATL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP, SO/Manual

Just put on a Stage One and wheels/tires to try to tide me over for another year or two with my 435 until I see how the M progresses, but then with seeing tuning potential with the B58 I'm really questioning the value of waiting on an M. I can confirm, the struggle is definitely real. There is the whole warranty thing, but that really doesn't matter until something bad happens ;-)
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeATL
There is the whole warranty thing, but that really doesn't matter until something bad happens ;-)
That's the attitude
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
soultraveler00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw M5

Quote:
Hi all,

-BMS intake
-JB4

Awesome mods exactly what I'm about to do but with the AWE full exhaust. Any word regarding if the charge pipe will hold up on the b58. We know about the issues on the n55 platform.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Blk340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultraveler00 View Post
Awesome mods exactly what I'm about to do but with the AWE full exhaust. Any word regarding if the charge pipe will hold up on the b58. We know about the issues on the n55 platform.
I am looking into the awe as well but just have to let the "Boss" give the clearance. Aka she wants to hear the exhaust in Person and I think I can convince her. As long as there is no highway cruising drone she will be fine so.... Counting the minutes so I can order.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

ER has a B58 charge pipe in the works Should be released soon. Given BMWs history of CP failures across numerous body styles and engines, I suspect we will have the same issues.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #19
Blk340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
ER has a B58 charge pipe in the works Should be released soon. Given BMWs history of CP failures across numerous body styles and engines, I suspect we will have the same issues.

Mike
Mike,

Looking at the design the weak point is at the flex joint about 10" away from throttle body. I spent time looking at the motor under load during acceleration with a go pro under the hood and it looks pretty solid. I think the benefits of the charge pipe will be flow of any as you will still need a flex joint there due to design of engine and the fact it has no intercooler. The intercooler played a large part in why the charge pipe failed. The intercooler was mounted to chassis and engine would flex while chassis stayed still. If anything we will need a stronger flex joint. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0