M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Pagid RS29s are the truth

06-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Pagid RS29s are the truth

I just had my first full track day using these pads at Watkins Glen. These pads are incredible! Six 25 min. sessions and absolutely NO fade during each session (25 min. of extremely hard usage). But what's even more amazing is how little pad wear was exhibited. I used to go through a set of stock pads (especially the rears) in no time. They are a tad pricey, but the true value comes through in longevity and excellent predictability. That is all.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
I just had my first full track day using these pads at Watkins Glen. These pads are incredible! Six 25 min. sessions and absolutely NO fade during each session (25 min. of extremely hard usage). But what's even more amazing is how little pad wear was exhibited. I used to go through a set of stock pads (especially the rears) in no time. They are a tad pricey, but the true value comes through in longevity and excellent predictability. That is all.
Assuming you swapped them on for the session and then back off again for the street? Any issues with the transition back to the stock pads? Rotors seem to be holding up okay?

The M2 will be the first car I plan on tracking and want to make sure I get it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejdavidson View Post
Assuming you swapped them on for the session and then back off again for the street? Any issues with the transition back to the stock pads? Rotors seem to be holding up okay?

The M2 will be the first car I plan on tracking and want to make sure I get it right.
Many folks will swap the pads before and after a track session. I normally bed my pads the first lapping session or sometimes don't even bother. Then I drive it home on the track pads and that will clean the rotors and there shouldn't be any issue putting the OEM pads back on. The rotors will be fine

If it's your first time tracking, you are likely fine on OEM pads. Beginners don't usually stress the brakes enough to cause an issue. By your 4th or 5th track day, you'll be ready to upgrade. This isn't to say you shouldn't swap pads even as a beginner but it's likely not needed and will save you $$ and time to not bother.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 3
VegasM285.50
M2RAW120.00
      06-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Many folks will swap the pads before and after a track session. I normally bed my pads the first lapping session or sometimes don't even bother. Then I drive it home on the track pads and that will clean the rotors and there shouldn't be any issue putting the OEM pads back on. The rotors will be fine

If it's your first time tracking, you are likely fine on OEM pads. Beginners don't usually stress the brakes enough to cause an issue. By your 4th or 5th track day, you'll be ready to upgrade. This isn't to say you shouldn't swap pads even as a beginner but it's likely not needed and will save you $$ and time to not bother.
Super helpful information, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
I am currently using Pagid RS14 on my tarmac rally car and have found those very good as well. Quiet on both road (touring between race stages)and rally stages, and pretty flat bite characteristics across the temp range.
Some race pads I have found very noisy and it gets a bit tiresome over a multi day rally up to 5 days in a row and all day in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

We went through a set of brand new OEM front pads in one track day.

We then installed a set of RS29s and after another track day they still have plenty of life. To keep them working properly we installed them a few days before the track day so they could bed in, and then left them in for a few days after the track day to clean the rotor.
Appreciate 2
ric124452.00
      06-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
How much did they run you if I may ask? This is one of two compounds/brands im interested in for an upcoming track day.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54
Quote:
How much did they run you if I may ask? This is one of two compounds/brands im interested in for an upcoming track day.
$530 for the full set. Worth every penny. Long life!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

At the very minimum, change the brake fluid. And then go have fun!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

Thanks! What would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejdavidson
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

Castro SRF, buy it from Jet.com, I bought multiples and used a first time buyer coupon to save like $15-20 off two bottles
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I've heard good things about Motul 600
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL View Post
Castro SRF, buy it from Jet.com, I bought multiples and used a first time buyer coupon to save like $15-20 off two bottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I've heard good things about Motul 600
For the vast majority of track attendees, either are fine. Motul 600 is a definite upgrade over stock and 95% of people will have zero issue with it. SRF is the very best and maybe something a very experienced track person may want. it's expensive, however.

I have run both and have had no issues with either. I ran SRF in my dedicated track car as I felt more comfortable going a bit longer between fluid swaps. On my street cars, I'll generally run Motul simply because the BMW club requires you to do a brake fluid flush before EACH track day and SRF becomes expensive doing that.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #14
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

ran the rs29 fronts with srf today at COTA (hard on brakes) and they held up really well. kinda wish I got stainless lines when I first flushed...but will do it soon. impressed by these brakes (am a pfc fan but they don't have a fitment for our car)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
ran the rs29 fronts with srf today at COTA (hard on brakes) and they held up really well. kinda wish I got stainless lines when I first flushed...but will do it soon. impressed by these brakes (am a pfc fan but they don't have a fitment for our car)
Were they quiet ?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal
Quote:
Were they quiet ?
Once bedded in, the rs29's kind of have a whooshing, regenerative braking noise, loud as a garbage truck before then.
They are a no brainier in my opinion, I just got back from Road America, ran every session to the end with no issues, then I drive them until they are loud again and throw the oem pads on with zero issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm still rolling with mine on the street. Got another event in a week so why bother swapping. Actually I get a squeal very seldom now. Get an initial "clank" going into reverse.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #18
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

Quote:

what did you run on the rears? Road Atlanta next weekend, ordered all 4 corners rs29.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

it's not loud at all...but u do get alot of clunking...like when the car is parked....u reverse and brake, clunk. then go forward and brake, clunk. other than that, the noise isn't obnoxious at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint3448
Quote:

what did you run on the rears? Road Atlanta next weekend, ordered all 4 corners rs29.
stock rears...was running factory tires and wasn't going for the fastest lap time etc....barely got out much too but just wanted the reassurance of not fading and rearending someone.
with stock rear pads, it didn't mess up the bias or get twitchy when braking hard.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #21
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL View Post
Once bedded in, the rs29's kind of have a whooshing, regenerative braking noise, loud as a garbage truck before then.
They are a no brainier in my opinion, I just got back from Road America, ran every session to the end with no issues, then I drive them until they are loud again and throw the oem pads on with zero issues.

Thanks for that.

I might stick with Endless ME 20 then.
I dont like changing pads and our trackdays are generally only 7 laps (approx)
approx 7 mins.

25 min sessions is another league
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #22
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
They are by far the most popular pads right now for the F2x/3x/8x chassis with the Brembo calipers. We have trouble keeping them stocked.
Appreciate 0