E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bedding in brakes (yes I did search - please read)

06-02-2016, 03:22 AM   #1
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Bedding in brakes (yes I did search - please read)

I have read multiple threads on multiple forums, and the general consensus seems to be to brake with reasonable force down from 60mph to 10mph in succession 6-8 times.

And then do some really hard braking a few times but don't come to a standstill. Drive a few miles to allow your brakes to cool and that's the brakes bedded in.

---------

I have Tarox F2000 discs and Tarox Strada pads for the front which I have just fitted. I emailed Tarox directly how to bed in the brakes and this is their reply:

"Please see the below excerpt from our fitting instructions;

All TAROX discs are hand finished to ensure the braking surface is perfectly flat to the tightest tolerances in the industry. Correct bed-in ensures that the discs will work efficiently and maximises performance and disc longevity. For the first 500km force can be placed on the brake pedal but only for short durations. Unless there is an emergency, breaking hard to a dead stop must be avoided where possible. Between 500 - 600km you should monitor the
brake discs surface. Once correctly bedded-in there will be a uniform contact patch across the whole surface of the discs. Putting excess heat into the brakes through unnecessarily prolonged application of the brake pedal must be avoided at all times. If at any part you feel there may be a problem during or after the bedding-in procedure, contact your dealer.

I hope this helps."

-------------------------

I emailed back asking if they have any issues if I were to do the initial method of bedding in the brakes but they haven't replied.

Can someone please clarify?
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:13 AM   #2
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
The manufacturer is right. This kind of forum advice comes from people who take things WAY too seriously and think their car is some kind of race car (or perhaps it is).

You should slowly increase braking pressure over 200-300 miles or so. You want the pad material to gradually transfer to the disc. Doing this over a short period is going to put a lot of stress on both parts when neither are near their full performance. You'll feel the brakes start to bite more over this period so it's a fairly intuitive process.

Bed them in if you must once you've done 500 miles or so to make sure the material is even, not to transfer the material. Even then, I'd only bother if you have judder (which you shouldn't if you were light on the pedals).

I actually have some judder at the moment, probably due to having an auto and falling into the habit of sitting on hot brakes so I may attempt to rebed them at some time. It's pretty hard though finding a spot to do it. You are pretty much pushing the brakes to the point of fade which is pretty difficult on a public road.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #3
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent, thank you.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

As Andy has suggested and Tarox you just drive normally and gently on the discs to bed them in over the first so many hundreds of miles.

What you have described and read is BBK bedding in procedures which go against the norm of standard road brakes.

I have Alcon's and the suggestion for those was as you have read which was harder braking over short distances and to a near stand still to really heat them up.
      06-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you.
Appreciate 0