E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DRLs colour

06-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

DRLs colour

Hi guys,

in 2008 there was an EU directive for all vehicles to have DRLs to increase safety and something again in 2011. Cars with DRLs are easier to spot and are more noticable. The DRLs, being LEDs use only 25 to 30% of the power of headlights. This is supposed to reduce accidents.

My question is about the colour they can be. I've seen cars with blue, purple, green lights etc in place as retrofitted DRLs. Is this ilegal? I don't mean main beam or dipped headlights. Purely DRLs. DRLs are supposed to be low intensity.

I don't think it is ilegal to have various colour DRLs (apart from red) and here is why:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulation 1989, purely says what is not allowed.

Put simply, it's no light emitting (or capable of) red light from the front of the vehicle.

Only lights emitting red light from the rear of the vehicle

With exceptions of white for reverse lights, yellow for indicators and the various colours doctors, fire, ambulance, police, slow vehicles\maintenence vehicles etc can use.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...6/part/II/made

Secondly crazy colour lights will definitely make a vehicle stand out more and hence draw attention to it. Surely this makes it even safer!?

I have some Angel lights that can produce all colours under the rainbow. I'd quite like to run some mad colours like purple, blue or green but I don't want the Police to give me a hard time. I know most people will think it's daft, but hey. First world problems lol.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

but then there is this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/3/made

2. Running lamps fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall be in the form of a matched pair of front lamps, each of which–

(a)is fitted in a position in which an obligatory front position lamp may lawfully be fitted, and

(b)is capable of emitting white light to the front having an intensity of not less than 200 candelas, measured from directly in front of the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and of not more than 800 candelas in any direction.

Well it says capable of white light, but it doesn't say it can't be capable of other colours as well?
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
mattp1986
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D M Sport

Garage List
My 335d has colour changing led DRLs. They can switch to any colour you can think of. Even fade between colours or strobe effect. I've never used the strobe or fade on the road. I have used various colours though and passed police without any problems. I don't think the colour matters much with DRLs as much as with main beams. I might be wrong but I've never had a problem so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp1986 View Post
My 335d has colour changing led DRLs. They can switch to any colour you can think of. Even fade between colours or strobe effect. I've never used the strobe or fade on the road. I have used various colours though and passed police without any problems. I don't think the colour matters much with DRLs as much as with main beams. I might be wrong but I've never had a problem so far.
Yes the law says that they must not dazzle so strobing and colour changing is out. It has to be a constant level. For actual dipped main beams, I believe those have to be white.

Might risk it tomorrow. Just don't want some unnecessary fine. They can be in a bad mood and really make life difficult. I think I have the same lights as you.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I was under the impression no other colour lights are permitted other than the standard setup, regardless of origin.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

^^^ This, I remember back in the day I kept getting done for my LED Neons...

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I think it's just the headlights. Not day running lights.

Like when trucks have blue or green LEDs on the front.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I don't think those are legal either.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
mattp1986
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D M Sport

Garage List
Think it all depends on the copper. Most won't bother but there's always one isn't there that will pull you over for the sake of it. I mostly have mine set to white or yellow, no problem then
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

"PART II
REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE FITTING OF LAMPS, REFLECTORS, REAR MARKINGS AND DEVICES

Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors

11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front, except–

(a)a red and white chequered domed lamp, or a red and white segmented mast-mounted warning beacon, fitted to a fire service control vehicle and intended for use at the scene of an emergency;

(b)a side marker lamp or a side retro reflector;

(c)retro reflective material or a retro reflector designed primarily to reflect light to one or both sides of the vehicle and attached to or incorporated in any wheel or tyre of–

(i)a pedal cycle and any sidecar attached to it;

(ii)a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination; or

(iii)an invalid carriage; or

(d)a traffic sign.
"

Nothing about it has to be white

Just that it can't be red.

I'm runnung bluish white to be on the safe side.

The rear however says red only, no blue, green, yellow etc...
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0