F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is it acceptable if an employee of a dealership used your car to commute?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Is it acceptable if an employee of a dealership used your car to commute?

So a week ago I dropped off my car at a local dealer ship to get factory maintenance and some minor repairs (door rattling and side view camera issues) done. It took them longer than promised to fix everything but I don't need the car over the weekend anyways so I'm fine with that.

When I got my car back, I noticed my dashcam is tilted a little bit, well it's probably because the guy who did the interior detailing accidentally touched it. So i moved it in place, and to make sure it's aligned properly I used my cellphone to connect to the camera (it doesn't have a screen). Well the app shows some thumbnails of the previous clips and I noticed lots of very dark pictures - I rarely drive at night so I opened those clips to see where the car was taken to when it was supposed to be at the dealership - it turned out someone used it to commute to somewhere ( I didn't check the exact location) north of the city - it's about 30-40 miles away from the dealership! And he/she drives it back to the dealership in the morning. The cam only recorded 2nights and 2 mornings (previous clips are overwritten) before I took the car back. So...I guess someone used my car to commute.

I think the dealership is only supposed to take your car on the road for diagnosis? I emailed the service rep about my concern a few days ago but haven't heard back. Is there anything else I should do?

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
So a week ago I dropped off my car at a local dealer ship to get factory maintenance and some minor repairs (door rattling and side view camera issues) done. It took them longer than promised to fix everything but I don't need the car over the weekend anyways so I'm fine with that.

When I got my car back, I noticed my dashcam is tilted a little bit, well it's probably because the guy who did the interior detailing accidentally touched it. So i moved it in place, and to make sure it's aligned properly I used my cellphone to connect to the camera (it doesn't have a screen). Well the app shows some thumbnails of the previous clips and I noticed lots of very dark pictures - I rarely drive at night so I opened those clips to see where the car was taken to when it was supposed to be at the dealership - it turned out someone used it to commute to somewhere ( I didn't check the exact location) north of the city - it's about 30-40 miles away from the dealership! And he/she drives it back to the dealership in the morning. The cam only recorded 2nights and 2 mornings (previous clips are overwritten) before I took the car back. So...I guess someone used my car to commute.

I think the dealership is only supposed to take your car on the road for diagnosis? I emailed the service rep about my concern a few days ago but haven't heard back. Is there anything else I should do?
So I still don't have my first BMW (waiting), but that seems out of bounds no matter what brand/situation. It's one thing for a test drive to validate a problem or confirm a fix. Driving it home for the night seems weird and I wouldn't want them to do that with my car....
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

people have different opinions on whether or not they car... I personally do, and am very very careful about which dealerships get access to my car for this exact reason
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

my dad was a service manager and he would drive customer cars home from time to time. In the end it's just a car, probably need to relax a bit and have a beer. If your car came back fixed and in good condition forget about it. If you had a rattle issues and they took the time to commute in the car to make sure it was taken care off, maybe that is a plus in their column for caring the car was actually fixed. There are tons of threads with people bitching that they took the car in and it was the same problem after it was fixed.

I know when I had my 335i in the shop for a new turbo they drove the car for several days to make sure everything was A OK. I have no problem with that.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Its only a car but its not his car. So you should be pi***d it was used without your ok. Be interesting to see what would happen if it came back with a nice crease down he side.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

No, the dealer should not be using your car to commute unless it's diagnose a tricky intermittent issue.

There was a story on the news in the last year or two where a guy saw his car in a fast food drive-through after he dropped it off for service. The service guy driving it got fired, and of course the story made the news.

My dealer seems to have some very strict policies about it. My E46 had an intermittent issue that I'd complained about for years. Near the end of the warranty I begged the dealer to give my car to a service tech and let him drive it around as his personal transportation until he experienced the problem, no matter how long it took. The dealer refused, insisted they could only do test drives at the dealership during business hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
No, the dealer should not be using your car to commute unless it's diagnose a tricky intermittent issue.

My dealer seems to have some very strict policies about it. My E46 had an intermittent issue that I'd complained about for years. Near the end of the warranty I begged the dealer to give my car to a service tech and let him drive it around as his personal transportation until he experienced the problem, no matter how long it took. The dealer refused, insisted they could only do test drives at the dealership during business hours.
I've had my service rep call to ask if he could take my car home to make sure my "tricky intermittent issue" was fixed. Of course I said yes, and it was a good thing I did because it broke down in 13 miles. It got fixed right that time though.

I'd be pissed if they didn't call to check first if it was outside the normal road test during business hours thing though. I'd never say no, but I think it's good business practice to keep your customers informed if the car is not locked up where they think it is.
      05-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
my dad was a service manager and he would drive customer cars home from time to time. In the end it's just a car, probably need to relax a bit and have a beer. If your car came back fixed and in good condition forget about it. If you had a rattle issues and they took the time to commute in the car to make sure it was taken care off, maybe that is a plus in their column for caring the car was actually fixed. There are tons of threads with people bitching that they took the car in and it was the same problem after it was fixed.

I know when I had my 335i in the shop for a new turbo they drove the car for several days to make sure everything was A OK. I have no problem with that.
If he didn't explicitly have the customer's permission to do so, the fact that he's your dad doesn't make this right. Especially if the car is leased as he was using a customer's mileage allowance. All good if he stops by McDonald's and has a big meal in the customer car? Takes the family out for dinner in it? I don't even want to think about a customer car being used for a jaunt to a drive-in movie (not that such things really exist anymore).

I'd be tempted to call the police and file a vehicle theft complaint if I found out my car had been taken home to some random dude's house.
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep

bri1042 do you live in the same world I do?

When you drop your car off and sign a work order that is not enough permissions to allow the dealership employees to drive the customers car? I think it is.

If someone doesn't like that arrangement, you can buy, not lease, a used car and fix it yourself in your garage. Otherwise you have to be a reasonable human being and deal with the rest of the human beings on this earth.

As for the police report comment, it's not some random dude, it's a dealership employee that you turned your car over to for maintenance or service.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

To OP, our local service work order does say the owner gives permission to service techs to drive the car for the purpose of diagnosis, but definitely not for personal use. So the answer to your question is no, it is not acceptable.

Do note that any accident that occurs during those drives is still covered by owner's auto insurance policies.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Normal practice. My buddy is a shop Forman for BMW. If they see fit to take it home for test ride then they will. I asked him what if something happens to it... BMW will pay up.
Grab a beer and enjoy the weekend.
      05-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post

The only justification would be that the tech had to drive it to confirm that the rattling was resolved. 60-80 miles, to me, is way too much. And if you didn't hear back from the SA within 1 day, you should be on the phone with the general manager of the dealership, demanding an explanation by the end of the day.

Quote:

Good--let them use your car. Customers' cars are not for the personal use of anyone who works at the dealership. If they said "We want to keep your car a few days and drive it to make sure there are no issues"--well then that was fully disclosed. And replacing a turbo is way different than fixing a rattle, which is what the OP had.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-27-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

When you drop your car off and sign a work order that is not enough permissions to allow the dealership employees to drive the customers car? I think it is.

If someone doesn't like that arrangement, you can buy, not lease, a used car and fix it yourself in your garage. Otherwise you have to be a reasonable human being and deal with the rest of the human beings on this earth.

As for the police report comment, it's not some random dude, it's a dealership employee that you turned your car over to for maintenance or service.
Not for personal use. Which is what "commuting" is. The car was turned over for maintenance and service, not to give some guy a ride home.

You are 100% right--we live in different worlds...
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Sometimes the commute is, ostensibly, for the purpose of diagnosis or to double check a fix.

That said, I generally frown upon it, although I can assure you it's quite common. I personally prefer to bring it somewhere where they typically won't do this, if possible, but I'm not going to get too upset if it happens, within reason. Really shouldn't be more than like 20-30 miles.

It's really up to you and what you're comfortable with.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnrice
Normal practice. My buddy is a shop Forman for BMW. If they see fit to take it home for test ride then they will. I asked him what if something happens to it... BMW will pay up.
exactly.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think we do live in the same world. I'm not sorry about that, either.

"Reasonable people" don't take advantage of their customers' trust.

I've read the drop-off agreement and nothing in it says that employees can joy-ride and personal-use my car. Thankfully, my dealership exists in my world, not yours. When they needed to drive my previous car more than a mile or two to find an intermittent rattle, they called for permission before taking it on a 20 mile drive.

Last edited by bri1042; 05-27-2016 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: add a comment
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnrice View Post
LOL of course your buddy thinks it is normal practice; he is the one joy riding and knows BMW will foot the bill if he damages the car

OP, take it to another dealer where the SA sees things the way you do

Others might be ok with random joy riders but if you aren't you don't have to be; take your business elsewhere
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I think that's fucked up and don't agree it's only a car. You are "hiring" the dealership to work on your car. If they have to drive it to solve issues then it's good, but in this case the car was driven for personal use which was not cleared. If you hire a refrigerator guy to fix your fridge is he also entitled to drink the beers in the fridge just to make sure they are cold? C'mon.
      05-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnrice View Post
Well except for this infamous case:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=386265
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Exactly ^^^

Bet they wouldn't accept responsibility if they curbed your wheel...unless you've given them explicit authorization to take your vehicle off the dealerships property for a prolonged period of time, it's NOT O.K

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #21
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

No offense, but that's bullshit! Your dad having a management position should definitely know better.

In the end it's just a car.....seriously?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Wouldn't like this at all, knowing the car could be anywhere, doing anything.
Appreciate 0