Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

05-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Office integration with creating new SMS/Emails

Posted this question in the "Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics" but didn't get any replies, so thought I might try more locally.

Has anyone got the sending of SMS/Emails from within the Office functionality of iDrive using ‘speech to text’ or direct text input working?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
m4chievous
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Didn't even know I had that option lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4chievous View Post
Didn't even know I had that option lol
I guess that's the problem in that I coded a couple of things including the "Enable speech input for Email/SMS". In doing so did I either break the ability of sending SMS/Emails from within Office or did I half enable the option with the coding and I need to find the other coding areas to fully enable it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Ywait
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e46m3,335,e92m3,435,f80M3,16M5

Only works with android
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywait View Post
Only works with android
I have a Galaxy S6 and tried an S7 the other day. Still no joy.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
rafcin66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bris_m3
Posted this question in the "Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics" but didn't get any replies, so thought I might try more locally.

Has anyone got the sending of SMS/Emails from within the Office functionality of iDrive using ‘speech to text’ or direct text input working?
Hi,

Got the SMS working (shows up as a message icon in the multimedia display), to retrieve message you need to go through the office menu and click on messages and given your will most likely be driving, click on the read function and it reads the message over the speaker system. Setup pair your (iPhone in my case) through Bluetooth, then on the iPhone just remember to look at the options of the BMW Bluetooth connection and enable notifications. It's worked for me on my last M4, my current M4 and my wife's M435i. Pretty sure didn't do anything else. To be honest it's pretty rudimentary, actually works way better on most other cars, BMW definitely is a drivers car and I guess they don't really focus on the tech experience, I'm sure that will change over time. As for the email, did get it working through the ConnectedDrive website, but it's hit and miss (you setup your gmail account), haven't tried the work email, with goes through O365. Don't use the email.

Forgot to mention, long press on the voice icon on the steering wheel activates the iPhone for Siri, then just issue command like iPhone I.e. "SMS wife" works well. Not quite what your after and certainly won't help if you have an Android device, but with an iPhone it's pretty good. I think Apple call it "eyes free integration".
Attached Images

06-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
rafcin66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcin66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bris_m3

Hi,

Got the SMS working (shows up as a message icon in the multimedia display), to retrieve message you need to go through the office menu and click on messages and given your will most likely be driving, click on the read function and it reads the message over the speaker system. Setup pair your (iPhone in my case) through Bluetooth, then on the iPhone just remember to look at the options of the BMW Bluetooth connection and enable notifications. It's worked for me on my last M4, my current M4 and my wife's M435i. Pretty sure didn't do anything else. To be honest it's pretty rudimentary, actually works way better on most other cars, BMW definitely is a drivers car and I guess they don't really focus on the tech experience, I'm sure that will change over time. As for the email, did get it working through the ConnectedDrive website, but it's hit and miss (you setup your gmail account), haven't tried the work email, with goes through O365. Don't use the email.

Forgot to mention, long press on the voice icon on the steering wheel activates the iPhone for Siri, then just issue command like iPhone I.e. "SMS wife" works well. Not quite what your after and certainly won't help if you have an Android device, but with an iPhone it's pretty good. I think Apple call it "eyes free integration".
As mentioned in previous post. Good luck.
Attached Images